PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change

r3p00c
01-15-2003, 05:50 AM
I just had my first oil change yesterday, and hit 5k miles in the same day. I now can see where everyone is coming from when they talk about the night and day difference in power after the first change/5k mark.

I'm really suprised... I didn't think it would be that much of a difference. It seems like I just magically picked up a bit of hp and torque out of nowhere. I wonder if its just because of the break-i oil, or if our ecu's change any maps or settings over once a certain mileage has been reached? Just my guess...

Anyway, its just another reason that I love my car. I'm glad to see its "opening up". :)

SiR Medic
01-15-2003, 07:18 AM
I'm with ya!

Just had my oil changed yesterday, and I took it easy on it till this morning on my way home from work. This yahoo, was doin 80km/h in a 100km/h zone, so I shift into 3rd to pass... damn thing hit the red line instantly!

I also noticed that my gas gauge has hardly moved after about 250km of driving on the highway.:)

hamproof
01-15-2003, 07:38 AM
10-20 Honda

or full synthetic like Mobil1??

myeverlovinsir
01-15-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda recommends 5W20. I and others have been using 5W30 for quite a while now. Castrol GTX. A little more quiet on the valve train. Will probably stick with it as I can't see the justification of spending it on synthetic. jmo

sonic imperial
01-15-2003, 08:10 AM
I'm using the 5W-20 that Honda provides but that's because I just get honda to do my oil changes (free). I had mine changed at about 4900 miles and I checked the oil yesterday (7800 miles) and it hasn't burned hardly any. Still lookin good. The power difference was somewhat noticeable in my car. I'm still trying to get my clutch broken in good, I drive so many highway miles that my car doesn't see alot of shifts. About the only complaint I have now is mastering rev matching.

cbecker333
01-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by r3p00c
if our ecu's change any maps or settings over once a certain mileage has been reached? Just my guess...

I noticed the same difference I also think the ECU is involved somehow.

glizard
01-15-2003, 08:07 PM
I don't think they would program the ecu for something like that.
There is a real difference once the miles get put on but it's just the motor breaking in. i got almost 17k on mine and it really has improved in pull. at first i was quite dissapoointed in pick-up compared to the coupe but now i bet the difference has dropped a couple of tenths off the 0-60.
did you burn any oil? i've heard alot of complaints of si's burning oil,alot of oil.i know the rsx-s has been but then again all the rsx-s owner i see are racing them/or at least driving them very hard
i've burned very little between changes.

r3p00c
01-15-2003, 08:37 PM
I don't think they would program the ecu for something like that.

no no no, we didn't mean that honda was reprogramming the ecu at the first oil change, we were just speculating that there is a possibility that the ecu is programmed from the factory to change fuel maps and such as more miles are clocked on the odometer. I wouldn't doubt it, it seems like a liable idea... but who knows.

I personally didn't have any problems with oil consumption... it seems like its a common problem, though... only really during the break in period, however. I'll be sure to keep checking mine.

glizard
01-15-2003, 09:00 PM
I was not very explicit but i also ment that the ecu was factory programmed for that was not likely.from what i know they have plenty of problems w/ the ecu's to begin with .i think that would just be a stretch.although i'm not sure i can even think of a good reason to program such a change except for maybe a rev limitation. have you heard this from anyone else or read any blurbs about it because i would like to read it to see why
thanks for the input/send a pmess if you need any tech info from honda