PDA

View Full Version : Creaky Suspension

steppingCloser
04-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. I tried searching for this in the forum but couldn't find anything specific to the problem I'm having.

I drive an '02 with just over 100k miles. 100% stock except for intake and short-shifter. Yesterday I was driving over some crappy roads and soon after I noticed a lot of creaking coming from what sounds like the front end. This creaking only occurs when driving very slow speeds of around 25mph or less. 95% of the time it is when making left or right turns. Occasionally it happens while going over bumps or coming to a stop. Thought I'd get a car wash with an undercarriage flush to see if that may help for whatever reason. It helped for a couple miles and then started back up again.

Nothing seems to be affected stabilizing wise. Would this be a problem with suspension? Does something simply need to just be lubed up?

Thanks for any input.

civsirmt
04-28-2013, 08:09 PM
its a slow creeking sound? normal accelerating and during normal braking? sounds like the dreaded electric steering rack creek.

steppingCloser
04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I think the best way to describe it is the sound a creaky couch or bed sounds when you sit on it. It doesn't creak as the steering wheel is being turned, just when the car is on the angle making the turns. Today I stood on the door jam and bounced up and down pretty vigorously and it creaked just a little, so if forced upon it takes a lot for it to creak.

Also, the creaking doesn't start until after the car has been driven for about 5 minutes. If it is sitting for a while, or overnight, it stops and then starts back up after it is driven a little bit. Almost like it needs to get warmed up before it is able to creak. Weird.

steppingCloser
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
its a slow creeking sound? normal accelerating and during normal braking? sounds like the dreaded electric steering rack creek.

Sorry, and yes it is normal accelerating and normal breaking. I very rarely beat on my car and never have "launched" it. So, the car has never seen any abuse of any kind except for the vissous roads and potholes here in the midwest.

Eddie Murphy
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
It may be front lower control arm bushings ...

steppingCloser
05-02-2013, 12:08 PM
BUMP!!

Anybody else know what this might be or have had the same issue before? I'm trying to decide if this is something that I can easily fix or if I should take it to the shop.

Thanks

Waldo129
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Endlinks?

Draw7Seven
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Get the bushings greased IMO, that's sort of a 100k thing to do even if it's not the problem. And if you get it done by a shop they can take a quick look and tell you if everything is still shipshape.

steppingCloser
05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks, I'm thinking I'll just have to take it into a shop. It's been a while since it got a good once over anyhow since I do all of the preventative maintenance on my own.

civsirmt
05-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks, I'm thinking I'll just have to take it into a shop. It's been a while since it got a good once over anyhow since I do all of the preventative maintenance on my own.

yeah it is not a bad idea to have it looked over,i had the creaking steering rack. it was annoying sometimes but it never gave me any problems,very few true failures for this issue. the creaking stopped when i installed coilovers and set them fairly stiff.

steppingCloser
05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Planning on taking my car in tomorrow to see what the problem is. Upon further evaluation I'm thinking it may after all be the steering rack. :mmad:

Just to be sure - there is not a recall for this problem?? I know that it is a frequent problem with our cars. Seems a bit odd that there isn't one.

civsirmt
05-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Planning on taking my car in tomorrow to see what the problem is. Upon further evaluation I'm thinking it may after all be the steering rack. :mmad:

Just to be sure - there is not a recall for this problem?? I know that it is a frequent problem with our cars. Seems a bit odd that there isn't one.

nope its not a safety issue just annoying.

steppingCloser
05-24-2013, 11:16 AM
nope its not a safety issue just annoying.

It sure is! I took it into a shop and they looked it over right away and couldn't find a single thing that would be of any immediate concern. I suggested that our cars have common issues with the steering rack and that might be the issue and they looked at me like I was crazy and there was no way it could have been that. They told me to schedule an appointment to bring it in so they can look over it more, but I haven't yet due to being too busy with work. Not to mention I'm not bringing it back to that place because they didn't even listen to me when I told them the EXACT issue that it might be and didn't bother looking into it.

steppingCloser
06-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Finally got it fixed over the weekend. Turns out it was the front sway bar link. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

kep3si
08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Finally got it fixed over the weekend. Turns out it was the front sway bar link. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

I have the same problem when I'm turning left or right at the lights it will creak almost over the bumps. Im not sure if it could be the links on mine or if it's something else. A few months back I hit the sidewalk hard and bent my lower control arm and spindle so I replaced both and the link for the passenger side and finally got it running straight again and until now I hear it. Someone told me a while back before the noise that my shocks are pretty wasted, my axles seem to be going out, and my motor mounts as well could it be any of these? Or the combination if in fact they all do need to be replaced? The noise comes from both sides but the passenger side has those parts I mentions new because of the hit

BlkDeathSi
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I have the same problem when I'm turning left or right at the lights it will creak almost over the bumps. Im not sure if it could be the links on mine or if it's something else. A few months back I hit the sidewalk hard and bent my lower control arm and spindle so I replaced both and the link for the passenger side and finally got it running straight again and until now I hear it. Someone told me a while back before the noise that my shocks are pretty wasted, my axles seem to be going out, and my motor mounts as well could it be any of these? Or the combination if in fact they all do need to be replaced? The noise comes from both sides but the passenger side has those parts I mentions new because of the hit

If you still have the stock suspension, it could be the top hats are cracked or non existent at this point creaking the creaking you are hearing.