PDA

View Full Version : intermittent wipers

X 2KS2K
01-15-2003, 11:38 AM
I heard the 2003s have fully adjustable intermittent wipers. First, can anyone verify this? Second, would it be possible to just switch out the stalk on our cars with one from a 2003?

Jpax
01-15-2003, 11:57 AM
YES order it from honda part # 35256-S6A-G01

You take out your switch on the steering colom and put this pice in its place. its cost is $85.00 but then you have intermitant wipers.

Jpax
01-15-2003, 11:58 AM
its the same switch but has a pice on the lever that slides/ or rotates to make it speed up or slow down. :cool:

ssvr6
01-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Really? Sweet!!

Steve

X 2KS2K
01-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Awesome! Thanks PaXiE!

Suk02Si
01-15-2003, 01:33 PM
niice, a video DIY install would come in handy ;)

Jpax
01-15-2003, 06:08 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOUR NOT GOING TO BELEAVE THIS WHEN I WAS AT THE DEALER THE 03 DOSE NOT HAVE INTERmit WIPERS....NO KNOB TO TURN NO SLIDER TO MOVE......SO THAT PIECE WON'T WORK.

IM SORRY GUYS I THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE A UNIT WE CAN CHANGE TO GET INTERMIT WIPERS...:(

Ill research it more to see if we can get an after market one to work.

SiR Medic
01-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Ow!

my freakin ears hurt! Why does paxie have to yell so loud?

;)

Cousin Avi
01-16-2003, 08:25 PM
oh dear oh dear...I'm reading through the posts getting very excited and then....disaster! reality bites.

X 2KS2K
01-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Doh!

ortedd
01-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Cousin Avi
oh dear oh dear...I'm reading through the posts getting very excited and then....disaster! reality bites.

exatly. . . .by the way one of my favorite movies. . . snatch. . . lock stock and two smoking barrels was kind of better though

Cousin Avi
01-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Orted...I totally agree...just love the character Avi.

LazyAzzAzian
01-17-2003, 03:27 PM
hey i was asking the same question way back when i first got my car, but do you think it would be possible to switch the stalk from a 02 civic ex into a 02 civic si? my girl has a 02 4-dr ex and the stalk looks similar except she has intermittent wipers, what do you guys think? theres just those times where the wipers are too fast but at the same time too slow, its so annoying

Jpax
01-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by LazyAzzAzian
hey i was asking the same question way back when i first got my car, but do you think it would be possible to switch the stalk from a 02 civic ex into a 02 civic si? my girl has a 02 4-dr ex and the stalk looks similar except she has intermittent wipers, what do you guys think? theres just those times where the wipers are too fast but at the same time too slow, its so annoying

NO

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7424

NamingException
01-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Cousin Avi
Orted...I totally agree...just love the character Avi.

Heh, yeah, both of those movies are fucking excellent. Lock Stock might have been more cohesive, but it didn't have the characters that Snatch does.

Fuckin' Boris!

LazyAzzAzian
01-18-2003, 02:06 AM
doh, forgot about the rear wiper, thanks for the heads up pax

fyzm7357
01-18-2003, 01:17 PM
What about the stalk from a RSX? They have intermittent wipers plus a rear hatch wiper....I could take pics of my girlfriends RSX if needed...

fyzm7357
01-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Here is the pic of the RSX stalk....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p54b57c177b603c7ddd37d4bb096a35e6/fcc323cd.jpg

This is the first time for me posting a pic...let me know if it doesn't turn out....

NamingException
01-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Somebody should definitely research that one. I would LOVE intermittent wipers. I find it hard to believe that the Si doesn't have them. I don't know how they work at all. There must be a tech on here that does though.

Luciferi
01-28-2003, 10:29 PM
You guys might want to check this thread (http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1354) out. I added variable intermittent to my CRV, it might work for a civic.

AthlonDave
02-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey PaXiE have you tried to install an RSX wiper switch into your EP yet? I have one on order from Acura. It should be in my hot little hands on Monday. Just thought I would check and see if you have real int. wipers yet in you EP? If I can get it to work I will post at least some notes on how I got it to work.:)

Jpax
03-02-2003, 04:54 PM
I did try the RSX wiper , Yes the Rear wiper works, Yes the Switch works. NO the Intermit DOSE NOT work, I even drove around because the RSX has a Speed sensitive switch. It dosen't work.

So Next is looking into the wireing dia: for RSX and our Si. Ill keep you posted.

Luciferi
03-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
I did try the RSX wiper , Yes the Rear wiper works, Yes the Switch works. NO the Intermit DOSE NOT work, I even drove around because the RSX has a Speed sensitive switch. It dosen't work.

So Next is looking into the wireing dia: for RSX and our Si. Ill keep you posted.

you need to add two wires from the wiper switch to the multiplex unit on the rear of fusebox for it to work. This assumes that you already disassembled the multiplex/fusebox to see if it is a s5a part that has the electronics built in.

Jpax
03-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Luciferi

This assumes that you already disassembled the multiplex/fusebox to see if it is a s5a part that has the electronics built in.

S5A? Im not shure what that is. the two wires you speak of are they the rotory knob that is on the switch?

http://members.aol.com/audiosports/images/newwsw2.jpg

Is there a speed sensor also involed? because the rsx has a vairable speedsensor with the wipers( you stop they, stop wiping fast, you go, they go back to what you had them set at)

Luciferi
03-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE

S5A? Im not shure what that is. the two wires you speak of are they the rotory knob that is on the switch?

Is there a speed sensor also involed? because the rsx has a vairable speedsensor with the wipers( you stop they, stop wiping fast, you go, they go back to what you had them set at)

s5a is honda part code for rsx. s7a is civic. s9a is crv. My crv fuse box is marked s9a on the outside but when disassembled, the multiplex unit inside is marked s5a. the s5a multiplex has all the electronics for variable wipers with speed sensing. You need to add two wires into pins 3 and 4 of connector x at the back of the fuse box and then connect these wire to either, a potentiometer with a sweep of 0 to 30k ohms, or to the wiper connector pins 9 and 10 and install the rsx wiper switch.

http://www.gocrvclub.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=7978

http://www.gocrvclub.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=7979

I have link in my first post to a complete write up on what I did.

AthlonDave
03-05-2003, 08:48 PM
I did a little experiment with my car this evening. I took a 5k ohm pot (the highest valued pot I had at home) with some pig tails on the terminals. I then shoved the ends of the wires into cavity 3 and 4 on connector X in the fuse panel. Then I turned on the Int wipers. When I adjusted the pot the delay was varied from the normal 7 seconds between wipes to just over 3 seconds per wipe. This is with the car stationary of course. I guess at this juncture I will start digging through the parts department at my local Honda store for the right terminals for the connectors as I have received the RSX switch already. When I get the terminals I will try to post what info I can as to part numbers. I really hope it warms up this weekend so I can get this done. Because working in the driveway at -15F just is not my idea of great fun. Just out of curiosity what kind of price is the switch going for in your area? I paid $84.52 cdn for mine. By the way I did not take my fuse panel apart to find out what part number the multiplex unit is, as at -17F I was affraid of breaking the plastic.

HgSi
03-16-2003, 02:09 AM
My 91 Laser had variable speed intermittent wipers. In fact, I didn't find them all that useful. I would set the speed, and they woudl seem fine for a while, and then they woudl start to chatter because the window was too dry. Then i would slow them down, and pretty soon I would find that my window isn't getting wiped as often as I liked. Of course, every time I stopped at a light, I would have to slow them down. Then I would have to remember to speed them up again when I started going. In the end I found them to be more of a hassle than they were worth, and I took control of my wipers. I would just turn them on for a cycle when I saw fit. I use this tactic to this day in the Si. The mist feature (flick it up, let go) makes it even easier. I find that after a while, I don't even think about it anymore, and I don't have any problems with not being able to see, or having my wipers chatter on a dry window.

BTW, I suppose speed sensing wipers would help some of the annoyances about intermittent wipers, but all in all I don't think I would bother with it, unless it was a very cheap and easy mod, just for fun.

siver-SI
03-20-2003, 09:07 PM
I have to say I miss my intermittent wipers that I had in my other cars and if there is a way to get them in my SI I would be a very happy guy. I would say once you guys find out what works please post away so I can try that trick on my car.

RiceCzechs
03-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Ditto that... Even my Ranger had variable delay wipers, though it was a somewhat questionable arrangement. The '89 Probe GT I had back in the day actually had the most effective system (you could set the delay once, and then turn it on and off, instead of having to scroll through all of the other settings each time you activated it... if that makes any sense at all). Damned valuable items, they were.

How about retrofitting a rain sensor for automatic wipers? *lol*... never found one that worked convincingly on luxury cars...

I've gotta remember to get off my duff and buy some Rain X and forget about the whole thing altogether... :)

AthlonDave
06-27-2003, 04:30 PM
After many months of procrastinating I got back to the int. wiper thing. I just followed the steps from Luciferi's link and it worked very well. I would give you part numbers for the terminals but it would not do you too much good as I used Mopar terminals and then modified them to work on the Honda. (I work at the local Dodge store in the parts department. And yes I do drive my SiR to work, they just make me park it out back where no one can see it.) But the int. wipers work very well. I just wish Honda would have put it in from the factory. With using the RSX wiper switch most people don't even know that I changed anything.

siver-SI
06-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Just wondering what parts did you use? Not the part numbers just the part name. That way we can cross reference over to Honda/Acura parts and find out their part numbers are. That is cool at least we know it can be done and it has. Even though some one had to use "crapy" Dodge parts to do so. ;)

AthlonDave
06-27-2003, 11:34 PM
The only parts that are required is two pieces of ~18ga. wire about 2 1/2' long, two terminal ends to fit into "Connector X" pins 3 and 4, some protective loom that your two wires will fit into, and a variable resistor that has a range of about 0-30k ohm. If you want to go for the "stealth" look you can order the RSX wiper switch, part number:35256-S7A-G01 from your local Acura dealer. I payed about $85 Canadian for mine. If you go the RSX switch route you will also need two additional terminal ends that fit into the wiper/washer switch connector in pins 9 and 10 if I remember right (There is only two open holes in the wiper/washer connector so you can not screw up on this end.) For the connector locations, connector pin outs and detailed instructions with pictures check out the following thread over at gocrvclub.org:
http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1354

I have to give Luciferi credit for the real work as it was with his instructions at gocrvclub.org that I got my setup to work correctly.

bioevolve
07-06-2003, 01:42 PM
From the books, only difference is the 9 & 10 wires need to be done with factory relay or adjustable pot or even a adjustable rhinostat. Book says 30K ohm but like the other guy did with 50K ohm. Don't know where the wires would go 9 & 10.

RSX connector

| 1 | 2 | 3 | X | X | 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |10|11|12|13|14|

OFF=11+12
INT=11+12 & 13+14
LO=4+11
HI=4+5
MIST=4+5
WASHER=6+14
INT DWELL TIME=9+10 0-30KOHM

CIVIC EP connector

| 1 | 2 | 3 | X | X | 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |10|11|12|13|14|

OFF=11+12
INT=11+12 & 13+14
LO=4+11
HI=4+5
MIST=4+5
WASHER= 6+14
NO INT DWELL TIME

Hope that helped.

fyzm7357
10-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Has anyone successfully done this??? I'm getting tired of looking at this RSX control stalk on my floor....

Driftin SI
10-15-2003, 09:10 AM
I have another question. Does the intermitent wiper function have its own relay?