PDA

View Full Version : driver axle pls help..

sp00n sp0rts
05-07-2013, 11:06 PM
i need help on how to pop out the left axle out of the knuckle i tried with a rubber hammer nothing i even tried beating it hard and nothing so pls anyone who knows share you knowledge and was thinking of wd to make it loose would that help? thanks God Speed..

tinman5
05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
If you have one available use an aluminum or even a brass punch. You want to use a metal softer than the axle itself to keep from mushrooming the end of the axle.
Its for this reason alone that I drove my happy ass to a nearby bulk sheetmetal/construction supply warehouse and bought 3 lengths of aluminum rod. 10"x3/4, 10"x1/2" and a smaller 8"x1" that I use to generally bang stuff around. I think I paid something like $20 for all three lengths.

That probably doesn't help you right now though... If you're anything like me, you have a can or box with random left over bolts and nuts from various car type work. I have used an subframe bolt as a punch before. Decent length and will not distort the axle to badly. Definitely soak the hub with WD,PB or whatever penetrating juice you prefer. I have done this the right way and the wrong way, so its not the end of the world if you ultimately just beat the crap out of the axle. A cut off wheel and some anti sieze go a long way at this point.

tlikethedrink
05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
this happend to me not too long ago. you need a brass hammer the bigger the better. if you already mushroomed the end make sure you take it down a bit.
if you dont have access to a brass hammer- try to use a piece of wood. or just use a small sledge if its too late or your replacing the axle anyways. price between a new and reman with a core is like $5 at autozone.

also if your buying from an auto parts store like autozone or whatever, be sure to use the RSX base part number. these places usually give you the wrong part when you ask for civic axles.