PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Setup

obsoletearturo
05-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi to everyone. I need help with an exhaust setup(my ep3 us edition), i would like to install headers, catalytic and the rest leading to the muffler. I'm probably going to do race headers....dc ones seems to be the affordable ones, leading into the catalytic which i would run with a fowler on the oxygen sensor so that i can avoid error codes and finally i need an option for the rest of the setup. I just need to know which would fit together good, i know people are going to ask what i want.....more power lol i dont care about sacrificing noise. i can always throw a silencer on there if its too much right?

LudeMutt
05-12-2013, 09:04 AM
For price, I'd say go with a Megan mid pipe and then whatever else you want. The Megan "drift spec" is good and has a decent pipe diameter (2.5"). You running boost? If so, you'll want something a bit wider (2 3/4" or 3").

If price is not an option, IMO go with an authentic Spoon N1, great for power and not too loud either.

obsoletearturo
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Not to sound like a noob but i wish i was running boost. So what kind of setup can i do? Dc race headers leading into a magnaflow catalytic which leads to a megan drift spec? And then a muffler i would need to pick out? I am so bad at this

gtimportfanatic
05-13-2013, 03:19 AM
the drift spec is the muffler. basically you'd be getting a full megan exhaust. if you're tryna cheap it out on the exhaust EMUSA makes a 2.5 that looks really good and has a pretty unique silencer.. do your dc header and that.

gtimportfanatic
05-13-2013, 03:21 AM
http://www.speedyracer.com/2002-2005-Honda-Civic-Si-EP3-K20-Catback-Exhaust-25?filter_name=ep3

LudeMutt
05-13-2013, 07:27 AM
http://www.speedyracer.com/2002-2005-Honda-Civic-Si-EP3-K20-Catback-Exhaust-25?filter_name=ep3

That's actually the exact cat-back I have. I'm running Megan headers, a Megan test pipe (replaces the cat), and that exhaust. For the price (I got mine for $105 shipped on ebay), you can't beat it and it doesn't sound bad without the silencer. Just make sure you use a really short exhaust hanger or it will hang low.

fatathaland
05-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Dont forget either that, for the money, our stock mufflers are pretty good and offer enough flow to go with exhaust mods. I've even heard of people running a stock can on their turbo setup.

A good cheaper route is to get, say, the megan header, megan test pipe, b-pipe, and then out the stock exhaust. I'd AT LEAST get a short intake going before you go get a muffler.

T_Virus
05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
You want more power? you don't need to catalytic converter. Get a real race header. DC is for the B series days. With the K -Series, for the cheap price, go for the OBX Race Header Version 2 (this is the Jackson Racing Race Header replica). If you can spend a little more, go with the Kidd Racing Race Header. These 2 are the best race headers for the budget price. For the exhaust, it is really up to you. Don't go too big as you will lose alot more low end and even though you make it in the high end, it is not worth playing catch up.

obsoletearturo
05-13-2013, 10:30 PM
well i know that i would like to go with race headers, im looking into dc,obx race headers, or the kidd racing ones. i would run foglers on my sensors to make sure i get no engine code. t virus what would you say is good for exhaust to not lose too much top end

lemonhead228
05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
If you sticking with the a3 and just want bolt in parts get a cai intake than race headers with Megan 2.25 bpipe and stock axle back. You gain more mid range/ lil up top and still mantain low end torque.

The 2.5 is to big for the a3. Your car will feel sluggage on lower gears/ rpms and gain lil up top. Which is not worth it IMO

After you get all the bolt ons, get a TUNE!! Than a 6 speed to wake that thing up

gtimportfanatic
05-14-2013, 11:28 PM
my 2.5 feels restrictive on my a3 honestly. i've went from stock to rsx type s, to now 2.5 and the bigger i go the better it feels.

lemonhead228
05-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Were your motor stock at the time?

gtimportfanatic
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
motors were always "stock" .. i mean right now its just bolt ons and tuned, but its def a different car with my stock exhaust vs my 2.5, no numbers to prove but i would call 10hp at the least.

T_Virus
05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
well i know that i would like to go with race headers, im looking into dc,obx race headers, or the kidd racing ones. i would run foglers on my sensors to make sure i get no engine code. t virus what would you say is good for exhaust to not lose too much top end

If i was to have my pick, i would say Twin loop, also recommended by the great guru Doug (TalonXRacer)

obsoletearturo
05-22-2013, 04:00 PM
the twin loop as in the mugen one right?

obsoletearturo
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=2010# this one okay? so prob OBX Race Header or if i can actually get the kidd racing one also the dc ones are still an option. also if i decide to go turbo in the future would i need to replace the headers with a turbo manifold?

lemonhead228
05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=2010# this one okay? so prob OBX Race Header or if i can actually get the kidd racing one also the dc ones are still an option. also if i decide to go turbo in the future would i need to replace the headers with a turbo manifold?

That axle back will work and yea the turbo manifold takes the header's place.

T_Virus
05-28-2013, 06:14 PM
the twin loop as in the mugen one right?

Same design but don't go with the mugen one as it is too pricey. I remembered someone that goes by 'RedSiBaron (I think it was him) had the mugen twinloop but it wasn't putting out as good #'s due to the piping was really small, but it was still a quality piece.

OBX Twin loop is fine, but OBX is OBX so it is a 50/50 chance for fitment and quality but affordable. Some people went with a custom twin loop. I think talonXracer's was a DC exhaust customed hand made twin loop. 2 budget race headers that are best bang for buck is OBX race header vers 2 (hard to find now) and Kidd Racing. And as for turbo manifold, lemonhead228 is correct for the turbo manifold taking the header's place. If you are going turbo then i would just piece and plan for turbo parts only and don't waste your time with the basic cai,rh,e.

obsoletearturo
07-21-2013, 11:04 PM
T_Virus. i've decided to go with Kidd Racing Headers, as for the test pipe and exhaust i don't know yet.

poeticfinesse21
07-21-2013, 11:12 PM
You don't need a test pipe, a race header deletes that part and as far as exhaust, I'd say get the kteller 2.5" piping, vibrant resonator and muffler of your choice.
http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kteller_exhaust_piping_kits/pk0205civicep3250ss/i-545906.aspx

obsoletearturo
07-22-2013, 12:39 AM
poeticfitness21 who are you? i think i've seen you near my area. did i say test pipe i meant straight pipe, hks hi power i was thinking for muffler...give me your take

poeticfinesse21
07-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Haha you should have came out to the meet Peter organized last week. I'm friends with you and him on Facebook, my name's Orlando.

As far the exhaust, it all depends on how loud you want to be. I don't really like loud exhausts, I like to be subtle.

tinman5
07-22-2013, 03:46 AM
You don't need a test pipe, a race header deletes that part and as far as exhaust, I'd say get the kteller 2.5" piping, vibrant resonator and muffler of your choice.
http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kteller_exhaust_piping_kits/pk0205civicep3250ss/i-545906.aspx

Oh snap!! Never heard of Kteller, but damn glad you posted that. I got a crazy high estimate locally for a mandrel bent 2.5" system with me supplying the mufflers. Looks like that Kteller piping kit really only needs a few flanges welded on as I cant stand those ghastly pipe clamps.

syncmaster
07-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Another Chicagoan might as well chime in. I am somewhat in the same dilemma but am worried about Chicago emissions. If I were to go with a race header, (some brand) b pipe, and the stock axle back...

1) How would it sound? Know of any sound clips for a similar setup? I dont really want a super loud exhaust...
2) Assuming I run anti-foulers, would I still pass Chi emissions? Do the only do an OBD plug test and not a sniffer for our cars anymore?

poeticfinesse21
07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Another Chicagoan might as well chime in. I am somewhat in the same dilemma but am worried about Chicago emissions. If I were to go with a race header, (some brand) b pipe, and the stock axle back...

1) How would it sound? Know of any sound clips for a similar setup? I dont really want a super loud exhaust...
2) Assuming I run anti-foulers, would I still pass Chi emissions? Do the only do an OBD plug test and not a sniffer for our cars anymore?

The noise factor doesn't really depend on the header, it's more the midpipe and muffler. I would say the Megan midpipe and Megan axleback would be the quietest option since it's only 2.25" and it looks stock.

And like I said before, in Chicago as long as you have no CEL's you'll pass emissions

EP3Lov3
07-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Quality raceheader, 2.5' catback of your choice :mwink:

come to the next meet and you can hear all of our different exhausts lol