PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust rattle in resonator?

maribou912
06-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone, I recently got a loud rattle coming from my exhaust. It happens in the low RPM's and after a lot of freeway driving it goes away. My first thought was heat shields and after removing them it is still there. I checked all hangers and tightened all bolts. If I smack the resonator, I can hear the rattle. But it's not hitting anything. It's an HKS hi-power catback. Is it possible my resonator has something lose in it? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Silvercard
06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Hmm maybe exhaust hitting after aftermarket sway bar? I had the same problem thinking It was the resonator but it was the skunk 2 exhaust pipe hitting the sway bar. Then after a trip to California, got a weird rattle again a low rpm then when the ac kicked when on idle. I looked and saw that one of the hanger hooks on the muffler actually ripped apart from the muffler. I guess because of all the weight and crappy potholes on the California highways lol. I unhooked it and its hanging off one hook with the rubber thing. My 2 cents.

maribou912
06-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I have the stock sway bar and I checked all the hangers. I'm at a loss here I can't see any signs of rubbing on the piping or car either

gtmeoutofwi
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem! Help/advice is much appreciated :)

maribou912
07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
It may be rubbing in the stock swaybar but I just don't see how. There is a burn/scratch mark there but it seems like it would really have to be rattling a lot to hit the swaybar

mussh
07-03-2013, 06:30 AM
i also have developed this poltergeist.
i have a triple y race header and apexi ws2 exhaust.
it sounds like the heat sheild is "pinging" on the exhaust at low rpm.
i put my car up on the lift and stood underneath it, banging on my exhaust and i was unable to recreate the "ping".
everything appears tight..... im at a loss.

i only hear it, when i goose the throttle from a stop. between 1500-2000 rpm.

maribou912
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
I have determined that by pulling my exhaust towards the passenger side I can stop the rattle. By pushing it towards the drivers side rattle gets worse....then the exhaust got hot haha. I'm close to giving up and taking it to someone it's really annoying

maribou912
07-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Bump for any new info on this

tinman5
07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
This worked on my S13 when I switched from an Apexi dual N1 to the Blitz Realize TT: I used worm clamps on most of the rubber hangers. 4 out of the 6 if I remember correctly. Even with the Nismo mounts, which were about as solid as I could stand, they cocked the engine upward slightly. There was still sufficient twist to cause the exhaust to knock around a little bit. The worm clamps kept the hangers from flexing that few millimeters that caused the movement.
I considered securing all the hangers solid but at that time I was running a solid down pipe with no flex joint. She needed some play, just on my terms. Never had any issues afterwards though.