PDA

View Full Version : Just installed my HP header..what a freakin BIT@#!

02SilverSiHB
01-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Man, I thought to myself....I've done this type of work before...no problem. Get the nuts and bolts loosened up top. Go to take the ones on the bottom that go to the down pipe....bang, curse, fu#@$, son of @$%@, after about 2 hrs...yeah 2 hrs for a freakin header... I got the hp on. The stock one was pissing me off! First the two bolts that hold the header to that bracket...I actually broke one of my rachets...yeah...I broker the freakin thing! Then as I finally got one of the bolts to come loose...I'm unscrewing it, and then all of a sudden it just stops! I'm like WTF! So I turn harder....snap! Snapped that biatch right off! Oh well, it's the stock header...so what if there is a bolt stuck in it :p
So I got the hp on, but the two bolts that hold it to the bracket aren't on. I don't think it will be a problem. I only revved my car a few times to check for leaks. I'm not going to bother test driving just yet. I'll post that tomorrow :)
Oh, yeah, I will never do this for anyone...I'll watch and give tips, but never will I do this again....I freakin header gave me this much crap :mad:

SiRman
01-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Sounds like it was a painfull experience.

02SilverSiHB
01-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Sounds like it was a painfull experience.
yes it was. I think I was pissed off at myself more than the car because it took me soooo rediculously long to install a header :D

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 05:04 AM
Wow! First day is pretty good with the header. No leaks, sounds about the same too. As for performance, it feels better in the throttle reponse and feels like the car has gained a little in the higher rpms....according to the but dyno ;)

ssvr6
01-16-2003, 05:16 AM
Gotta love the "BD"!

;)

I'll be tackling this mod hopefully in the next month or so. :'(

Steve

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Gotta love the "BD"!

;)

I'll be tackling this mod hopefully in the next month or so. :'(

Steve
yeah, it was lots of fun. I'd use an impact wrench if you have one. As for torquing the nuts and bolts for the header to the block... I have no idea how I can fit my torque wrench in there to torque them down. So I just guessed and tightened them till they were snug. I didn't want to over tighten them. I did a pattern to them to make sure the header fit on evenly. good luck! :)

IceD out N CALI
01-16-2003, 11:36 AM
geez what a hassle. I think i might let a shop do it after hearin this:(

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
geez what a hassle. I think i might let a shop do it after hearin this:(
mine could have been an isolated event :) ask JSIR I think he has one that he installed.

On a side note, I got on an empty road for lunch break. Man, I can honestly say I can feel the power that has been added, especially in the higher rpm range. Before the car would just kinda die down after 5k rpm, but now, it screems the whole way through, and it didn't add any different sound to the car. I'm glad I bought this thing :)

Gasp23
01-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Congratulations on the upgrade. Where did you buy it and how much?

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Gasp23
Congratulations on the upgrade. Where did you buy it and how much?
on ebay for 202 shipped priority with insurance. If you're not in a hurry, just get it off of nopionline for about 193 shipped

IceD out N CALI
01-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

mine could have been an isolated event :) ask JSIR I think he has one that he installed.

On a side note, I got on an empty road for lunch break. Man, I can honestly say I can feel the power that has been added, especially in the higher rpm range. Before the car would just kinda die down after 5k rpm, but now, it screems the whole way through, and it didn't add any different sound to the car. I'm glad I bought this thing :)

sounds like u got decent gains out of it. if you had to do it again do u think it would be easier to do a second time around?

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

sounds like u got decent gains out of it. if you had to do it again do u think it would be easier to do a second time around?
yeah, I guess it would be easier if I did it again. I'd definitely go to the shop and use the impact wrench. I'd also see if they have a smaller torque wrench to fit in that tight space to torque them correctly