PDA

View Full Version : 225/50/16 versus 225/45/17

LostHighway
06-12-2013, 04:22 AM
Does anyone here have enough direct experience to know how noticeable the differences are, or at least enough experience to make a well educated guess?
While I understand that theoretically 50 profile tires should have a slightly softer rider and offer slightly more rim protection while the 45s should have slightly better handling response, all other variables being equal, I'm not sure how perceptible the real world differences are likely to be. There actually is another likely variable: if I stick to 16" tires I would probably just use the stock rims in the near term but 17"s would mean new rims which would probably be wider (7.5" - 7.75") and lighter. I'd be grateful for any informed advice.

FWIW the tires I'm considering include Continental Extreme Contact DW, BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP 2, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 and maybe the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 or Falken Azenis FK453 but not all are available in both sizes.

From what I have read it sounds like either wheel should fit (just) without rolled fenders and stock ride height or up to 1" drop. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If there is a compelling argument for choosing 215s instead of 225s I'm more than willing to listen.

Hasbro
06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Does anyone here have enough direct experience to know how noticeable the differences are, or at least enough experience to make a well educated guess?
While I understand that theoretically 50 profile tires should have a slightly softer rider and offer slightly more rim protection while the 45s should have slightly better handling response, all other variables being equal, I'm not sure how perceptible the real world differences are likely to be. There actually is another likely variable: if I stick to 16" tires I would probably just use the stock rims in the near term but 17"s would mean new rims which would probably be wider (7.5" - 7.75") and lighter. I'd be grateful for any informed advice.

FWIW the tires I'm considering include Continental Extreme Contact DW, BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP 2, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 and maybe the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 or Falken Azenis FK453 but not all are available in both sizes.

From what I have read it sounds like either wheel should fit (just) without rolled fenders and stock ride height or up to 1" drop. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If there is a compelling argument for choosing 215s instead of 225s I'm more than willing to listen.

You could write a book about these queries alone. Your selections are in different categories so apples to oranges. BFGs are summer tires and Continentals are all weathers. All weathers do everything ok, which means as a handling tire they uh, well, suck, comparatively. But they are a good tire!

Tire Rack Surveys are a good overall way to compare but the ratings compare tires within each category - they do not rate different categories against each other. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

Wheel size, tire widths, aspect ratios, etc. get complicated, especially with different types of tires such as what you are looking at. I love my 16s but they are 8.5" wide. Plus I'm going to 225/45/s this summer. Next step is a 17x9" and 245/45s. 17s will give you a lighter wider wheel with much better tire size selection, as you know. A wider tire tends to feel slightly less crisp but (usually) has better adhesion. I do feel that the EP's weight requires a minimum 225 tire. Etc., rambling This is a good basic article to check out; http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/dialed-in/

LostHighway
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Oops.

LostHighway
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
The Conti DWS is an all weather tire. The DW is a summer tire. I'm inquiring about the DW (and the others noted), but mostly I'm asking how much difference I am likely to feel between the two sizes if it is the same tire at the same pressure.

Thanks for the link.

Hasbro
06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
The Conti DWS is an all weather tire. The DW is a summer tire. I'm inquiring about the DW (and the others noted), but mostly I'm asking how much difference I am likely to feel between the two sizes if it is the same tire at the same pressure.

Thanks for the link.
Excuse me , missed that. A lot of GRMers ( GrassRootsMotorsports.com ) speak very highly of that tire (DW) for general road use. Having never driven with either size of that brand I can't speak from experience but you will feel a slightly quicker turn in and a slightly firmer ride from the 45s. Not a big difference, though. We are talking tenths of a second difference on an Autox course. And sometimes a 215 will be quicker than a 225, depending on brand of tire and type of car. Splitting hairs. There's also a lot of personal preference due to driving styles etc. There are several good tires on your list. If you want to take this further, ask over on GRM and you may get more info than you want! Tons of engineers and racers. Best overall group of car guys you can find.