PDA

View Full Version : Wheel width size options... HELP!

1achahal
06-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Hello folks

I have an 05 Si and was wondering how wide I can go without any interference with the body. I am planning on going with 17" wheel size. Also, I will not be lowering the car because I drive in the country side and I would not want to touch the exhaust and such while on the twisties and hills. I was thinking about 8.5" wide. Also, is it some hoe better to run, say.. 8" in front and 9" in the back?? or just the same size is fine. I will probably not be mashing it too hard on the highway, just the back roads.

Thank you for your input. :help:

1achahal
06-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Anyone?
I have changed my mind. I am considering lowering it a little bit. H&R lowering springs.

For Wheels, I am thinking about 17x8.5 ET35 OR 17x8 ET35 OR 17x9 et30 . Thoughts and concerns. I have no previous experience with aftermarket wheels.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hasbro
06-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Anyone?
I have changed my mind. I am considering lowering it a little bit. H&R lowering springs.

For Wheels, I am thinking about 17x8.5 ET35 OR 17x8 ET35 OR 17x9 et30 . Thoughts and concerns. I have no previous experience with aftermarket wheels.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to EPHatch.

I'm mentioning the following since you stated you'd be doing some country driving which might suggest some fun cornering;
be aware that one of the inherent weaknesses of the EP3 is it's lack of stock travel. A 2" spring drop is going to severely limit travel. The less spring travel you have the more need for a heavier spring to prevent bottoming. H&Rs are a progressive spring, which at best will have a final spring weight of around 325 or so at absolute best and a good bit of softer spring prior to stiffer. A wider wheel/tire set up equals even more need for a stiffer spring do to improved adhesion transferring more energy to the springs. Bam!, you will bottom out and also trash the stock damper eventually. Plus they ride rather poorly. You would need much stiffer spring and an aftermarket damper for the springs. The less you lower the lighter the spring you need

A bigger wheel width for handling is required in the front for fwd as opposed to bigger in rear for rear wheel drive cars.

If you still want to do your set up for just looks then I'm sure there are others that can chime in. So what do you want your EP to do? Your turn...:msmile:

1achahal
06-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you for your reply !!

The drivability will be the priority, So I will not be loweinrg the car.
So I guess the final question would be, if I kept the stock suspension just the way it is, how wide could I go with 17" wheels before running into clearance issues?

Again Thanks for the input!

Hasbro
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Hope I didn't scare you away from lowering! The EP can take up to around -1 1/4-1 1/2", although about a 3/4" drop is best for a simple drop without too much work and can handle very well if done right. Beyond that takes a bit more investment.

I have 16x8.5 with a 35mm offset that rubbed on the rear lower arm when dropped at around 3/4" to 1" iirc. 5mm spacers fixed that problem. 225/50s required some fender work front and rear but some 225s will fit fine as they have slightly different measurements. Oem wheels and 225/50s were fine, maybe a little rubbing on the inner fender wells at stock height. So it depends on wheel size/offset, tire size (and brand), and drop height. Stock height is very forgiving. You could do wheels and tires and then see what you want to do about height. The more you learn the more your decision re. what to do will change!

These are my opinions, others will have different ideas.

1achahal
06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
That's good advice! Thanks a lot. What springs did you use ? Also do you have some pictures that I could kind of get an idea what it looks like ?

azsi
07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Hasbro.. good info...you said .750 - 1-.5 is good drop for lowering. My question is ...affordably who makes suspension kits that allow me to lower it that little. I am looking to lower my 2002 ep.
thanks

Hope I didn't scare you away from lowering! The EP can take up to around -1 1/4-1 1/2", although about a 3/4" drop is best for a simple drop without too much work and can handle very well if done right. Beyond that takes a bit more investment.

I have 16x8.5 with a 35mm offset that rubbed on the rear lower arm when dropped at around 3/4" to 1" iirc. 5mm spacers fixed that problem. 225/50s required some fender work front and rear but some 225s will fit fine as they have slightly different measurements. Oem wheels and 225/50s were fine, maybe a little rubbing on the inner fender wells at stock height. So it depends on wheel size/offset, tire size (and brand), and drop height. Stock height is very forgiving. You could do wheels and tires and then see what you want to do about height. The more you learn the more your decision re. what to do will change!

These are my opinions, others will have different ideas.

04sidriver
07-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Hasbro.. good info...you said .750 - 1-.5 is good drop for lowering. My question is ...affordably who makes suspension kits that allow me to lower it that little. I am looking to lower my 2002 ep.
thanks

look into the rsx a-spec kit

Hasbro
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
That's good advice! Thanks a lot. What springs did you use ? Also do you have some pictures that I could kind of get an idea what it looks like ?

Sorry, didn't see this. I'm about 1.25" on Konis with the GNC adapter kit that turns our struts into an adjustable coilover system. They come with very decent Eibach springs.

The A-Specs are a 3/4" drop and someone with them can chime in with a pic.

This is mine at - 1.25" with 16x8.5, 35 offset, 5mm rear spacer, 225/50/16s. 17s fit the same except with 225/4s. Can't remember the camber here, fairly mild. Edit; around -1.5 to -2 camber to both front and rear. I had four different cambers going at the same time. Edit; Hah!, remember now. Front left, -1.75. Rear left, -1.5. I'm currently around -2.2 front, 2.4 rear. Next week all four corners will be around -2.5. Those are usually silly camber numbers for the street, though (not in this case).

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/Hasbro_photos/002-10.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/Hasbro_photos/media/002-10.jpg.html)

poeticfinesse21
07-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Like Hasbro said, everyone's setup fits differently. My car is dropped about 0.75" on a full DC5 Type-R suspension, which I'm 90% sure is identical to the A-spec suspension. My wheels are 16x7 +40 konig feathers with 225/50R16 continental extreme contact DW tires and I don't rub anywhere, not even close. I did roll my rear quarter panels though before I put the wheels and tires on, just in case. A-spec is a great choice but if you're short on cash, a used DC5 Type-R suspension can be had for about half the price and is pretty much the same. Look on eBay, they usually go for $300 to $400 shipped. I'm on my phone but I'll post pics of my current setup when I get the chance.

Hasbro
07-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Like Hasbro said, everyone's setup fits differently. My car is dropped about 0.75" on a full DC5 Type-R suspension, which I'm 90% sure is identical to the A-spec suspension. My wheels are 16x7 +40 konig feathers with 225/50R16 continental extreme contact DW tires and I don't rub anywhere, not even close. I did roll my rear quarter panels though before I put the wheels and tires on, just in case. A-spec is a great choice but if you're short on cash, a used DC5 Type-R suspension can be had for about half the price and is pretty much the same. Look on eBay, they usually go for $300 to $400 shipped. I'm on my phone but I'll post pics of my current setup when I get the chance.

Are you ever going to do a member's ride thread? You have a lot of good stuff in your head, would be good to consolidate it somewhere.

Hasbro
07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Hasbro.. good info...you said .750 - 1-.5 is good drop for lowering.

I didn't say they are good drops. A good drop for fairly softly suspended EPs, to me are no more than -1", -1 1/4" tops. After that requires some changes and smart designing.

Sorry, this is my latest video kick. You want to see a beautifully designed suspension? Art and science combined.;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2955gzlg17s

poeticfinesse21
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Are you ever going to do a member's ride thread? You have a lot of good stuff in your head, would be good to consolidate it somewhere.

Haha one day my friend. My car has been mostly stock until very recently and I don't like unveiling my work until I'm content with it. A combination of getting a promotion at my job and going through a divorce has opened the door to letting me do what I wasn't able to before. You gotta take the good with the bad.