PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for input with Lowering Springs

EP3xAnthony
06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I apologize if I am repeating old threads because I couldn't find what I need. I just bought a 2003 Ep3 and I have done some research and seen its bad to drop our EPs past 1.5 inches unless you buy custom suspension parts (reverse tie rod ends, etc) because the mac strut set up. Im fine with being limited to the 1.5 area for now but what I am wondering is.. Would anyone recommend just buying Tien S techs or Eibach sportslines (both sit around 1.5-1.7 when settled in) just for a sportier look on a DD? Also would it be safe to do on stock suspension for a few months till I can pony up the money for better parts in the future?

Tsuru
06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
If you're going with the Tein S-Techs or Eibach Sportlines, most of the suspension gurus here would suggest pairing them with aftermarket shocks immediately instead of using stock suspension. My recommendation would be to save up and get it done right the first time. Ppl should never 'go cheap' when it comes to suspension mods.

Hasbro
06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
This a very good read; http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=565170

poeticfinesse21
06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Dampers should come first, then springs

Powers
06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Agreed. You may want to look into the aspec kit as well. I have it and just got everything aligned. It's awesome with a fat rear swaybar and good alignment.

EP3xAnthony
06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
This a very good read; http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=565170

Thanks I was looking for something like this. I did hear of a lot of people using tien s tech on stock without problems on EP though that's why I was wondering. Don't got money for RSX conversion or coilovers at the moment, I just want some springs to pop on for the few summer months and meets. Then I would just keep working at it when I can since I am still paying for it. Would it really be that dangerous for a short amount of time? :nervous:

tlikethedrink
06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks I was looking for something like this. I did hear of a lot of people using tien s tech on stock without problems on EP though that's why I was wondering. Don't got money for RSX conversion or coilovers at the moment, I just want some springs to pop on for the few summer months and meets. Then I would just keep working at it when I can since I am still paying for it. Would it really be that dangerous for a short amount of time? :nervous:

i wouldnt call it dangerous. but i would think of it as more of a waste of money. in my experience, i bought a used set of eibachs they rode decent and lowered the car to a nice looking stance. later the shocks wore and the ride was horrible! i ran those springs for about 2 years. about 1.5 years of it was a decent ride. it was ok for $80.

that said i would have gone with the A-spec kit from the get go if i had the money. those spring sets run about $200 new. the aspec kit ran me just under $600. Ride is good, handles tip top and looks great with an apporpriately matched wheel/tire set up. i wished i would have done all this before any other mods.

EP3xAnthony
06-20-2013, 10:06 PM
appreciate the input but the Ep3 as a whole really needs more than a 1 inch drop to be accepted, however that is just my opinion. I wonder why they made them so high up.. :frusty:

poeticfinesse21
06-21-2013, 08:12 AM
the Ep3 as a whole really needs more than a 1 inch drop to be accepted

Accepted by who? Who are you trying to impress? You asked a technical question, we all gave you technical answers. I'm sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. The EP3/DC5 chassis has macpherson struts with the steering rack attached to the shock in the front, the older civics and integras had double wishbones all around. If all you care about is looks then get whatever lowering springs you want but you can't say we didn't warn you when you realize that your car handles like shit with them and how quickly you blow your stock shocks. I've said it a million times before every time a new ephatch or clubep3 member starts one these threads...you can't treat a macpherson strut suspension like a double-wishbone suspension!!!

Powers
06-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Shoot. Who cares if your car isn't "accepted" if it's only lowered an inch when you can rip through the curves and have a decent ride and don't have to worry about every damn bump in the road.