PDA

View Full Version : question for those who have custom CAI's

chunky
01-15-2003, 10:15 PM
How did you create a neck on the CAI tube for the Breather hose to hook up?

I'm having a custom cold air intake made by a local shop that has a mandrel press (gonna be expensive, but hopefully it'll pay off on the dyno).

Also, how did you mount the MAP sensor into the new CAI?

On the stock intake tube the MAP sensor is angled against the airflow and is recessed so that only the tip of the sensor is actually in the airflow. how did you guys manage that?

Jpax
01-15-2003, 11:31 PM
well I was going to make the huge bend to the throttle body, but i decided not to after seeing the bend i would have to make, so i cept the orgenal factory boot bend.

If your going to "bend " metal you are going to have top drill in the metal and use a rubber groment to hold the "map sensor" in place. If i were you i wouldn't put the breather hose into the intake. I would just cap it off with a small air filter. and then put the vaccum hose on it via a welded nipple. ....

heres mine its a short ram. I have a new filter on it now that has a heat shield but it works for me.

Jpax
01-15-2003, 11:32 PM
///

SiRman
01-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Did you make that tubing Paxie or use it from something else?

chunky
01-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
well I was going to make the huge bend to the throttle body, but i decided not to after seeing the bend i would have to make, so i cept the orgenal factory boot bend.

If your going to "bend " metal you are going to have top drill in the metal and use a rubber groment to hold the "map sensor" in place. If i were you i wouldn't put the breather hose into the intake. I would just cap it off with a small air filter. and then put the vaccum hose on it via a welded nipple. ....

heres mine its a short ram. I have a new filter on it now that has a heat shield but it works for me.

I already have some grommets to use for the MAP sensor. I just wanted to see what other people have done. I'd really like to mimic the stock placement, but it's gonna be difficult finding tubing that narrow. maybe a plumbing shop will have it.. . . damn, I need to go check.

as for the breather, putting a breather filter on is one of the worst things you can do for the PCV system. With the stock setup, air flows INTO the valve cover down into the crank case, then back up to the PCV valve and back into the intake manifold. When you disconnect the breather hose from the intake, you eliminate the fresh air source, and greatly reduce the necessary positive pressure required for proper crankcase ventillation.

If you're burning a lot of oil, the breather filter is probably the cluprit.

ssvr6
01-16-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by SiRman
Did you make that tubing Paxie or use it from something else?

I'm pretty sure he made it. He's good like that. ;)

Steve

Jpax
01-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by chunky

as for the breather, putting a breather filter on is one of the worst things you can do for the PCV system. With the stock setup, air flows INTO the valve cover down into the crank case, then back up to the PCV valve and back into the intake manifold. When you disconnect the breather hose from the intake, you eliminate the fresh air source, and greatly reduce the necessary positive pressure required for proper crankcase ventillation.

If you're burning a lot of oil, the breather filter is probably the cluprit.

Ok i can understand this point of view but why not keep the breather filter on there it is still getting fresh air, just not from the intake , are you saying that some sort of vaccum pressure is needed for the PVC system.... to me it seams the pvc is venting most of the time into that intake not sucking air.... correct me if i m wrong.

and the intake i made is off a mold i have. its hollow

:cool:

chunky
01-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

Ok i can understand this point of view but why not keep the breather filter on there it is still getting fresh air, just not from the intake , are you saying that some sort of vaccum pressure is needed for the PVC system.... to me it seams the pvc is venting most of the time into that intake not sucking air.... correct me if i m wrong.

and the intake i made is off a mold i have. its hollow

:cool:

your are correct. What i am saying is that positive flow INTO the valve cover is created by the air velocity in the intake. The air moving through the intake branches out into the breather hose, and into the valve head, and then down into the crankcase, etc.

When you disconnect the breather hose and stick a filter on it, you eliminate this positive circulation and you end up with poorer crankcase ventillation which results in poor ring seal and valve seal.

You definitely want to have it hooked up to the intake system. to prevent any possible oil backflow into the intake, I reccomend an oil catch can installed inline on the breather hose. Catch cans are pricey though.

Jpax
01-16-2003, 03:23 PM
I got it now, thats why they want catch cans at our track now too..:D