PDA

View Full Version : Ker-plunk!!

stingyboy
07-22-2002, 08:30 PM
the thicker rear sway bar (23mm) has resulted in great handling but with the stiffer rear-end there is now a loud kerplunk sound rolling over bumps in the road. install is a-okay, i'm sure. but i'm not sure if the sound is the normal result of increased stiffness or can i do something to make it go away?

Glix
07-22-2002, 10:00 PM
I have a similar problem with hard right turns up driveways and speed bumps. My car is going in to the dealer on wednesday to be checked out. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

todaCspec
07-23-2002, 09:42 AM
the ultimate price to pay for stiffness.

stingyboy
07-23-2002, 11:51 PM
a return email from a guy at comptech...

Scott,
> My name is Joe and I have an '02 Si as well with the adjustable bar setup. I have the same problem with a noise going over small bumps. I've checked to see why and where and can't really come up with anything yet. Unfortunately, our main tech in our garage is on vacation this week, so I won't be able to run it by him until next week. As soon as I find an answer, I'll write you back. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience. -Joe.

....so i'll keep any of you guys posted on what comes of this. like i said, i really like the improved handling...but 'da noise!!

Glix
07-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Any response yet stingyboy?

The dealer couldn't find the problem and blamed it on my spare tire in the back, so I pulled it out and it still does it. They are so full of it.

stingyboy
07-29-2002, 07:48 PM
I have a similar problem with hard right turns up driveways and speed bumps.

is this problem the result of the same sway bar i have, or is this a stock issue for you? anyone else having this problem?

btw, no response from comptech yet. :mad:

Glix
07-29-2002, 10:22 PM
I'm running stock and the problem just happens to go away anytime I'm within 10 miles of the dealership. Grrr

BlazeX12
07-30-2002, 12:30 PM
i think it is a stock issue, i have the same thing

BigBrown
08-07-2002, 02:29 PM
I have this problem also. Hope it is nothing serious. I am taking it in on the 9th to see if they can find anything.

greenguy
08-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by BigBrown
I have this problem also. Hope it is nothing serious. I am taking it in on the 9th to see if they can find anything.

Please let us know what your dealer finds out. Knowing them they will say "It's normal":rolleyes:

BigBrown
08-15-2002, 04:56 PM
Ok, I finally got my car back after dropping it off Monday morning. And its fixed.

At first they thought the sound was being caused by the right rear strut so they replaced it, but it still made the noise. After talking to some Honda mechanics in California, they decided to get some sort of stethoscope type device out, the mechanic called it "chassis ears", and drove around while listening to various components of the rear suspension. After which they decided it was the bushings in the upper control arm. I am not sure why, but they ended up replacing the entire trailing arm assembly. I dont really know much about suspensions, so I am not sure if any of that makes sense, but that was what I was told by the mechanic

To make sure I could demonstrate the noise to the mechanic, before I dropped the car off, I drove around the dealship area until I found a slope that I knew I would cause the sound everytime I turned up it. I think this helped, because the mechanic said they drove over there a bunch of times while trying to isolate the noise.

If you are having that same problem, hope this helps.

m0ns00n
08-16-2002, 03:54 PM
I'm having the same issue :( Guess its a trip to the dealer soon.

JSIR
08-16-2002, 08:18 PM
stingy, I think you will find that is a common problem with large rear sway bars over 20mm. I had that same constant noise on my 99 Si running a 22mm bar. Many Mugen sway bar owners complain of the same noise. Comptech bars have been known to creak and squeak too. I think they have run lubricant on them in the past to quiet them down.

You should have gone with the 19mm RSX-S bar like I'm running, that baby is sweet, handles good and so quiet, nice bar.

stingyboy
08-28-2002, 06:22 PM
well, after numerous emails to comptech, even their recommendation is to just return it. an employee of theirs gets the same sounds with the set-up and their head tech guy can't seem to come up with a solution.

hate to go back to stock though. other recommendations appreciated and where to get the parts. thanks.

punkdork
08-29-2002, 11:44 AM
With my maxima there were parts of the suspension actually coming in contact with the sway bar. Repositioning the mounting brackets resolved the noise. As I haven't looked at the sway bars for our SIs I don't know if this might help.