PDA

View Full Version : Fender Rolling?

willibmcspeedy
06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
I havn't found many pics of Ep3's with rolled fenders. I Just got a smokin deal 15x10 diamond steelies and i dont know how far out i can roll or how it will look on an ep3. So if you all have any pics of your rolled fenders you could post or any advise to give. That would be great. Thanks

303EP
06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
That size is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too big for an EP3.

In regards to fender rolling if you work slowly with a heat gun while rolling and measure your temps and make sure they don't exceed 150*F you most likely won't crack your paint. I have my rears rolled completely flat. I tried to flare them but the quarter panel started to buckle so I stopped. The front's however are rolled and slightly flared. I held a rubber mallet on the outside of the fender while I slowly tapped the fender in with a metal hammer on the inside. To flare them I jacked the front up with the tire still on, placed a phone book in between the tire and the fender, and slowly lowered the car until I saw the fender start to bend slightly and raised it back up. I did this back and forth slowly but surely until I had a nice even flare on both sides.

poeticfinesse21
06-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Besides the wheels being way too wide, what damn tires are you going to use on them? You'll need at least 235's or 245's to keep the stretch from being ridiculous and I don't think they make anything but slicks in those sizes

Hasbro
06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
This could be really cool or a complete disaster! Op, what are you going to do with the car? Is this for looks or track? Diamonds weigh a ton, by the way. You are looking at compromising the suspension geometry without some connecting point changes methinks.

willibmcspeedy
06-26-2013, 05:15 PM
yea i knew these wheels were too wide to begin with i just didnt know if i could roll/flare my fenders out far enough for them to fit or if anybody had fit anything that wide on an ep3. i plan to track this car at some point so i would be putting track appropriate tires on them. but like i said i got a pretty good deal on these rims so ill probably sell them. Thanks for your input guys!

Hasbro
06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I think a 10 could also get you into some problems with bump steer and your scrub radius on the stock suspension geometry. Negative camber and spacers and the extra wheel offset could increase your track too far. Stock front track is 57.9" and with my mods a 9" wheel will have me around 62". Another guy on here, Evan, has suggested problems in the 63"+ area but at the time his findings weren't solid yet. I've been meaning to ask about this on CRSX but haven't gotten around to it. Op, you probably aren't interested in this, just mulling it over.

I think someone on here was playing with 10" wheels a few years back but I don't remember the outcome.

Draw7Seven
06-26-2013, 11:12 PM
I think someone on here was playing with 10" wheels a few years back but I don't remember the outcome.

We never heard from him again (cue eerie music)

willibmcspeedy
01-30-2014, 02:10 PM
so i did fit the 15x10 diamonds on there with stock suspension and had no fitment issues whatsoever! sticks to the road so much better! i was going to beef up the suspension for track use. after a couple months i put sportline lowering springs on it which lowered it 1.5 in. and it rubbed in the rear on big bumps so i had to flare out the quarters quite a bit. unfortunately im selling the car cause i need a truck but i thought id let u all know what happened. it is completely possible to put 10inch wide rims on an ep3. i dont think you could go over 10.5 inches with out having fitment issues.6667

mitchlikesbikes
01-30-2014, 02:44 PM
i drop in for ONE day and this is what you give me EPhatch? :(

Hasbro
01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
i drop in for ONE day and this is what you give me EPhatch? :(

:mbiggrin: Sorry

Actually, some 275/35/15 Hoosier A6/R6es on big ol' springs would be a blast.

Hasbro
01-30-2014, 03:02 PM
so i did fit the 15x10 diamonds on there with stock suspension and had no fitment issues whatsoever! sticks to the road so much better! i was going to beef up the suspension for track use. after a couple months i put sportline lowering springs on it which lowered it 1.5 in. and it rubbed in the rear on big bumps so i had to flare out the quarters quite a bit. unfortunately im selling the car cause i need a truck but i thought id let u all know what happened. it is completely possible to put 10inch wide rims on an ep3. i dont think you could go over 10.5 inches with out having fitment issues.6667

willibmcspeedy, what size are the tires? Thanks for reporting back.

USAF EP3
02-05-2014, 11:38 PM
More importantly, what was the offset of the wheels???

captaingamez
02-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Since your selling the car I am not holding back

That looks like ass.

chrisbtsc
02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Since your selling the car I am not holding back

That looks like ass.

hahaha. I agree it looks like ass, but if you like it thats all that matters.

27rocks
02-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm only here to show off my cleavage..

<--------- is better than that ^^^ :mwink:

willibmcspeedy
03-25-2014, 08:42 AM
yeah they were zero offset and the tires i got used and cheap from a guy who had them on a chevy truck lol so the back tires were bigger than the front. It did look like a monster truck in the picture because i hadnt lowered it yet. and i was planning on getting a new set of tires (same size as the fronts) and cutting up the quarters and welding in some actual flares and stretching the fenders because i loved how the car handled with the wide setup. you could really sink it deep in the corners and it would stick. it was like driving a go kart. but it is with heavy heart i have to inform you that i dont have the car anymore. was the best car i ever owned and i plan on getting another one at some point and finishing what i had planned for my first ephatch.

willibmcspeedy
03-25-2014, 08:59 AM
i will say this for you haters lol. i knew it was crazy to try this setup and i was very skeptical about how it would perform. Before i lowered it with this setup the handling in the corners improved a lot. but when i lowered it thats when it really got fun and you could hit corners hard. I do think that the suspension should be beefed up for the big wheels (nice coilovers, bushings, sway/stabilizer bars, nice wheel bearings not cheap autozone crap, or a 5 lug conversion) as was my plan. and deffinitly nice tires and lighter wheels. with all that done you could add alot more hp and not be scared in corners. would be a beast of a track car. ftw