PDA

View Full Version : CMC Failure

Bwek
06-25-2013, 08:39 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x220/mazdab22/CMCfail_zpsadfd3338.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/mazdab22/media/CMCfail_zpsadfd3338.jpg.html)

So this was a Brand new OEM Honda part about 20,000 km's on it :( I have an ACT Extreme pressure plate and Street strip disc

Has anyone just removed the disc and reassembled it?

USAF EP3
06-25-2013, 10:04 PM
This WILL happen on all OEM CMC's on EP3/RSX with anything OTHER than the stock OEM/replacement pressure plates.

You really should've bought an EM2 CMC or an aftermarket equivalent (I own and use Omni-Power).

303EP
06-25-2013, 11:10 PM
x2 on the EM2 civic CMC

Bwek
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't buy the omni power it would make my heavy clutch pedal even heavier and at the time I didn't know about the EM2 CMC but either way it was more than double the price vs the EP3 specific one.

I just removed the plate and buttoned it back up So far no problem we'll see if it lasts the week before it starts seeping through that small O ring

303EP
06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Go to Rockauto. I found my EM2 CMC for around $20

Bwek
06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I only buy OEM for Wear items like this. I hate doing things twice

USAF EP3
06-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I only buy OEM for Wear items like this. I hate doing things twice

You will be doing this twice if you still use that pressure plate you have right now. I know it sucks but you're going to have to pony up for the EM2 CMC.

Not to ride you or anything but, the CMC issue is a VERY common thing that has been covered in this forum years ago (and stickied I believe) and over at clubep3/clubrsx.com.

I suggest the EM2 switch or you will be finding yourself doing this job twice as you say.

Bwek
06-27-2013, 05:14 AM
I learned about the CMC Failures about a month after I already bought everything and put it in. I removed the flex disc and put it back together effectively making it the same as an EM2 CMC. The part that fails is no longer in it and the cavity that it sat in is now just filled with Brake fluid. :) I cheated i guess you could say but I cant justify replacing this cmc just yet

tinman5
07-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Kind of a random question, but is it possible to remove the seal and weld the cover back on? My cmc has yet to fail and I have been running a CC stage 1 for over a year now with several runs out in the hill country. I have the EM2 cylinder ready to go.
On a side note, I use Castrol GT-LM brake fluid in all my hydraulics in all 3 cars and have noticed excellent life from all related seals. A good example is the slave cylinder in my GTI. The VW has the slave inside the bell housing (reeeeeal smart German engineers), and to anyone familiar with the O2M gearboxes, getting 150k miles out of the stock slave is not uncommon, but the seals generally crap out soon after. I am going on over 180k miles on the stocker. I have a new clutch kit and flywheel waiting as, once the slave cylinder clocks out you may as well replace everything. I apologize for going off the reservation there, but I do believe the brake juice also affects the life of some of these seals. I do a complete flush and fill every year and damned if the brake fluid does not still look new. Slightly darker, ever so slightly darker, but that Castrol does its job very effectively. Never had a caliper sieze, nor a master cylinder failure. Only once did the slave cylinder in my 240 give out, but I attribute that to a manufacturing defect as the replacement has lasted for several years now and at least 2 clutch replacements.

Bwek
07-08-2013, 05:24 AM
If you look at the picture it's not the seals that fail but that metal disc, that disc is designed to flex and act as a dampner and is tuned to work with a stock PP, me I have an extreme act pressure plate which is basically like a stage 4-5 pressure plate that plus fast shifting killed my disc in my CMC,

I took the disc out and reassembled it, it worked ok for about a week and now that little o-ring has given up putting in my EM2 CMC today :)

tinman5
07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I noticed the split. I was thinking out loud, which I find myself doing a lot lately.
I eyeball the location of the cmc on occasion, doesnt look too difficult to get at but experience has taught me to be prepared for a skinned knuckle or Gumby-esque contourting of the hands or wrists.
Seriously considering an RSX just for the couple extra inches of under hood real estate...

Bwek
07-11-2013, 09:01 AM
lol it takes me about 35 mins to swap a Cmc including bleeding