PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional ripped off by a K20a user

ryboto
07-02-2013, 05:19 AM
Posted this on K20a, and facebook, but still feel like ranting...

Didn't know where to post this, but here goes. The seller is a member on here and for the time being I won't mention their name because this may be partially my fault.

Anyway, was looking to buy a K24A2 last year, preferably an 06. Seller had a late model 05 that he said was the same, since the engine ID listed it as a 205hp motor. The listing said the engine had around 40k miles on it, and I was given the VINCENT. When I looked it up, I didn't find anything odd, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Now I know it's been a long time since the purchase, but after the swap I decided to look under the valve cover to check the rings on the intake came, and sure enough it's an 05. What's worse, looking up the VIN now shows salvage listings for a car with 117k miles on it.

Seller actually contacted me after I found his secondary number on an old listing on here and tried to get some info from me. When I told him about the listing, he looked it up and said he'd call me back. He now says he was ripped off by the salvage yard, and that they have misreported mileage on at least 7 engines he's purchased.

I know I baer some of the blame for potentially not looking deep enough into the VIN at the time of sale, but at the same time, shouldn't the seller have done the same? I mean, if I hadn't contacted him, he'd never known he'd been ripped off. Still, he doesn't seem to want to offer me anything as far as a refund for the loss of not only the $ that being an 06 engine adds to the price, but also 80k miles of engine life.(this is my DD, cant afford o rebuild it right now if I wanted to)

Anyway

Anyway, I assume that nothing can be done given that the sale was last year, but I needed to rant. I'm torn though..a good seller who wants to maintain rep would at least try to make up for some of this, right? All I've gotten from him so far is "sorry man believe me I've lost a lot more in this than you".

Edit- also odd is that they used a picture of the wrecked car that the salvage website has on two listings for two different motors on K20a....

here's some other info in a reply that I just posted-

Given that he used the same picture for two different engines, and that he is suggesting multiple engines that he purchased had misreported mileage, this may affect other users. With that in mind, should I share his username and link to the sale thread?

Also, as I mentioned, I think it's a two man operation. The number I was given during the sale was the one I originally contacted about this issue, and I've yet to get a response from him. I also have sent an unanswered email and PM on this site. Meanwhile, the account is active within the last week. I only was able to get a response from the other half of the duo when I did a search for the username and found a post on Honda-Tech with a different phone number, so I sent a message to it, and got a call back, and that's the guy I've been in communication with. They still do business on here and Honda-Tech as far as I can tell.

Link to the thread (http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114688)

Gotta start focusing on something else, or I'm going to be bummed/pissed for a while about losing at least 1/3 the cost of the engine, and 4yrs of its life...

edit- dammit, title spelling mistake fail. Glad the edit function lets me fix that.....

tinman5
07-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I have been ripped off once in my life on an engine. But I remember the taste and most importantly the lessons. I, now, never buy an engine for a direct swap, my current A2 as an exception but I know the owner and the supplied maintenance history was a bonus. Any motor set I purchase is with the purpose of overhaul. To that end, I generally buy cheap and then spread the expense of new parts. Usually ending up with a zero mileage engine for an acceptable cost (usually a couple hundred more) over an unknown drive train.
Believe me, I know how you feel. But the days of tge "30k mile swap" are looong gone. You do have a dilemma though. Out some body and possibly tarnish someones name, accept that it was in fact unintentional and just swallow it, or simply trust in karma.
In my old age I do what I can with what I know. I try and affect the things around me in a positive way, but on occasion, I have also been the wrecking ball of karma. Speaking for myself, no harm no foul. It sucks, but I would move on from it.
But then, what do I know?...
:)