PDA

View Full Version : XXR 17x8.25 +25, INSTALLATION CONSIDERATIONS?

1achahal
07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Hello Fellow EP Nerds

I have made up mind to get some XXR's 17x8.25 +25 for my 05 si. I have seen other ep3's with this setup before. I just need some input of the installation considerations.
I will NOT be lowering my car. Not yet atleast. I drive around the country back roads in weekends. I am keeping the stock wheels for that purpose though.

So other than rolling up the fenders will I need any other mods to make this wheel fit?

The tire size options are 205/45/17 or 215/40/17.

Any kind of information will be very helpful before I do this!

Powers
07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I have these wheels on aspec suspension no fenders are rolled and the tires are 215/45. Honestly I wouldn't get them if I could do it over. They look ricey if you don't go realll low. Aka hella flush.

1achahal
07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay, Thanks for the info. What would you recommend ?? more like 35 offset on a different wheel?
I was looking at, http://www.ebay.com/itm/281099799494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J0N-1YEn-0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J0N-1YEn-0)

I am not thinking about lowering the car anytime soon. I could but I want to able to ride on hills if I wanted to.

Powers
07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
35 offset would be perfect in my opinion. And you could get a fatter tire then too. Which would be a better ride and better handling and still look great.

And those are the exact rims I have. If I could do it again I would have gone with enkei rpf1's.

1achahal
07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I love enkies, but not on si. They look super sick on other cars.
If I go with anything else, it would be ROTA Grid 17x8 +35. I would also think about 16x8.

If I do lower the car, I would not want to lower it too much. May be like 3/4inch just to tuck in the wheel/tires. or to fill the gap.
I know that the stock shocks are not good for lowering. So....

In this case, what would be a good spring+shoch/strut combo?? Again, no coil overs as I will be daily driving the car.

Again thank you for all the help. Always open for some good advice.

EUB44
07-06-2013, 07:03 AM
using 17s with stock suspension is a big mistake, looks terrible. I dont understand why you say "no coilover because it is DD". Many drivers use coilovers as DD for long time.
So nothing is wrong with that. If you dont want to spent a lot, use eibach sportlines with stock shocks. Using this setup for 2 years nothing wrong with shock.

You should decide on what you want, form or function.

tinman5
07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
using 17s with stock suspension is a big mistake, looks terrible. I dont understand why you say "no coilover because it is DD". Many drivers use coilovers as DD for long time.
So nothing is wrong with that. If you dont want to spent a lot, use eibach sportlines with stock shocks. Using this setup for 2 years nothing wrong with shock.

Agreed. Good coilovers are not cheap but it becomes pretty obvious where the extra money goes.

obsoletearturo
07-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Im doing koni shocks paired along with ground control sleeves.

1achahal
07-08-2013, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the advice! I will have to make up my mind. My only concern with lowering is, I would want to be able to have a smooth ride and also be able to be a little aggressive on the back roads. what would be a good spring/shock combo? You said eibach, i would want something like 0.75" drop. I just don't want to scrape the exhaust and such because I drive a lot in city with huge bumps and pot holes. also have to go up a ramp to park my car.

Ease of installation is also something I want to keep in mind.