PDA

View Full Version : Shifter cable problem

LudeMutt
07-08-2013, 12:43 PM
I installed the Corsport shifter cable bushings this weekend and once I drove my car I realized something went wrong. Messaged Corsport and they said I may have bent the cable. Upon inspection, it looks like the plastic piece (thin walled) on the cable with the large bushing snapped. The way I can tell is that 3rd and 5th gears don't "lock in" like they used to. At highter RPMs, third gear is harder to get into.

My questions are:
Can I bend the cable back?
Does that plastic piece affect performance?
Does anyone have a set of stock cables they're selling?

poeticfinesse21
07-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Hmmm I'd put my money on this:

Don't be fooled into thinking that all shifter cable bushings are created equal. Many companies make the mistake of assuming both bushings used in the k-series shifter cables can be replaced with solid metal or delrin bushing. This is not the case. Honda uses rubber bushings in their cables because it's a cost-effective way to allow 2-degrees of freedom. A solid metal or delrin bushing allows only 1-degree of freedom. Generally speaking, eliminating a degree of freedom in the bushings translates into more effort required to shift and the potential to bend and ruin your shifter cables.

That's why the Hybrid Racing incorporates a chrome-plated steel spherical bearing into their shifter bushings. This gives the crisp, notchy feel you expect from shifter bushings without the extra effort required to shift, like other brands of bushings.

LudeMutt
07-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Problem resolved.

I was at work and unable to work on the issue. Googling and seeing stuff like ^ and trying to find replacement cables... frieking out basically. Turns out, one of the cables was ever so slightly bent upon instillation. Also, I didn't break the plastic piece, a clamp came off! So I bent the cable back (very carefully) and used a small hose clamp to connect the rubber boot to the plastic piece.

Lesson learned, take a good look at it and trouble-shoot before posting. Shifting feels great, no extra effort needed.