PDA

View Full Version : tech: difference between ITR and RSX-S rear hubs

DA9_GSR
07-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

I thought you'd all want to see this. I bet you've all asked yourselves at one point: "what's the difference between the ITR and RSX-S suspensions". And: "how is it the ITR has a 30mm wider front and rear track over the RSX-S".

Well, here's half of your answer. The rear knuckles are all the same from RSX base to RSX-S to Integra Type R. The difference lies in the rear hubs (aka bearings).

Here's pictures.

http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/594/ky2q.jpg

http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/59/s2d0.jpg

http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/844/t1xv.jpg

So, Honda made the rear ITR hubs 15mm wider than the USDM RSX-S. Giving the ITR a 30mm wider rear track. $5 says it's the same for the front. Same knuckles, just wider hubs and different bearings.

That is all.
Cheers,
Ryan

USAF EP3
07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I'll step in and correct you for the front knuckles. The following I had to find out the hard way:

02-04 RSX-S front knuckles are NOT the same as DC5-R knuckles, nor are they the same as 05-06 front knuckles.

Reason for this is the opening where the lower ball joint gets pressed in. 02-04 has a smaller inner diameter. I ran into this when I purchased Buddy Club roll center adjusters made for the DC5-R because I didnt want to press out the bushings in my DC5-R lower front control arms.

Come to find out that both the LCA AND knuckles have larger inner diameters for the ball joint because the ball joint would not slip into my 02 RSX-S knuckle. I needed to recruit the help of an expert machinist at a machine shop to slightly bore out my knuckles for him to be able to press in my DC5-R specific RCA's into my 02 RSX-S knuckles.

The 05-06 RSX-S front knuckles are the only knuckles that share the same design as the DC5-R due to Honda deciding to make the 05-06 RSX-S model a "faux" Type R for the states.

As you pointed out the hubs+bearing package of the DC5-R is what gives it the wider track up front and rear.

captaingamez
07-09-2013, 12:19 AM
so then am I to understand that the 05-06 type s knuckles are the same as the ITR knuckles?

I have ITR knuckles and I am wondering If I can just install type s calipers and rotors on them and throw them on the car, or if they have to have the brembos.

DA9_GSR
07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
I have ITR knuckles and I am wondering If I can just install type s calipers and rotors on them and throw them on the car, or if they have to have the brembos.

If you're running the ITR knuckles up front, you'll need the Brembo's. I've been there on that one. Hence why I have Brembo's now.

captaingamez
07-10-2013, 06:25 AM
so anyone wanna buy some ITR knuckles, cause there is no way in hell I am putting Brembos on my car.

k20bregean
08-09-2013, 09:06 AM
I've got the DC5-R setup w/ Brembos in the front and need new wheel bearings.

What are my options for sourcing these?

Do any other models fit? (RSX-S, DC2 ITR, CRV, S2000 etc.)

usedep3
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I've got the DC5-R setup w/ Brembos in the front and need new wheel bearings.

What are my options for sourcing these?

Do any other models fit? (RSX-S, DC2 ITR, CRV, S2000 etc.)

If that's your car in the avatar, we're gonna need more pics of it before we can answer your question