PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum GT Wing? Downforce

bemmis
07-15-2013, 02:58 PM
To drive fast the car must be balanced, so that weight is wisely distributed between the tires. In a turn, the weight is unavoidably transferred to the outside 2 tires. To use all of the traction of those tires, weight must be evenly distributed between the front and rear. The only way to transfer that weight is by accelerating, or by steering the car into road undulations to throw the weight.

Because my ep3 is stripped in the rear, the weight bias has moved forward. That in combination with the stock 160hp means weight transfer is nearly impossible in high speed corners (80-100) where the a3 struggles to pull the car. Remember that the chasis was designed to be balanced with the JDM stock trim. (lighter, 215hp)

Obviously carbon is the ideal material for a wing because it can be made into any shape. (also light and strong, duh) Aluminum wings are much cheaper and easier to find than a mugen replica or buddy club wing, which are the only options available that provide increased downforce for <$300. But because ricers are the main consumer base for aluminum spoilers, are aerodynamics neglected in the design?

Could an aluminum wing be the answer for increased downforce? Please provide some brands

JUN uses aluminum spoilers on lots of their cars featured on Best Motoring. Does anyone produce a low-rise GT wing for use with a hatchback?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/wm.php/images/junpreluderw.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzgwWDc4MA==/z/QQAAAMXQ9MVRiYLq/$T2eC16RHJF8FFpwGuhEyBRiYLqM00g~~60_12.JPG?set_id= 880000500F

black05ep
07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Tracy sports made a low rise wingnot sure ifnits still available and only in UK. Fepst3r has a voltex carbon spoiler on his car

Bwek
07-18-2013, 05:23 AM
You do not need a Wing for the rear of your 160 hp Ep3 you will never reach the speeds on a race track to use it

Hasbro
07-18-2013, 05:26 AM
After 60-65 mph they start to become effective. Even less depending on the size.

captaingamez
07-18-2013, 07:35 AM
You do not need a Wing for the rear of your 160 hp Ep3 you will never reach the speeds on a race track to use it

dude, another statement that makes me wonder.....

that is simply not true at all. actually what Hasbro said. coming around fast turns in an ep3/dc5 makes the rear end slide out, the wing prevents some of that over 60 mph. the new FG2 chassis is really bad in the rear end slide out department coming around turns really fast, particularly if your lightened in any way.

my ep3 definitely goes over 60mph, actually with the stock motor you should top out at 135-140, with that only 160 hp.... its not really about how fast you take off on the track, its about how well you hold speed.

though a wing is ugly as hell on an ep3