PDA

View Full Version : k24a4 z3 valvetrain flipped pin vtec jrsc?

epictetrisbox
07-22-2013, 07:34 PM
ok so i have a k20a4 from the accord, k20z3 cams and valvetrain. ive seen the flipped pin vtec setup in the k24 heads but most are the k24a1 from what ive read on. is the a4 head still a good flowing head to do this setup on and with the difference on piston clearance are there higher compression pistons available for this motor or should i junk it for a k24a1. the reason im considering this setup is because i came upon all these parts on really good prices and want to make more torque. my ultimate goal is 11.5:1 or 12.5:1 compression(forged internals) with a jrsc setup. the bad thing about where i live is the highest octane pump gas we have is 91 so id be running a meth kit as well. power goal is 350whp and over 250trq. is this setup possible or am i wasting my time?

Blah1219
07-23-2013, 01:24 AM
You asked 4 different scenarios in one post. Are going to want to put the z3 cams and valve train on the stock K24a4 or when you get the hi comp pistons? I believe the k24a4 has piston clearance issues with the flip pin setup, but if you're going to swap pistons, then you can swap over the a k24a1 head/ k20a2 head and you would be fine.

Remember you're valvetrain is not the only thing you are worrying about for going to a higher rev limiter, you also got to worry about the lame oil pump, and thinner connecting rods. I would say go with the tsx rods, but I don't know exact dimensions between the k24a4 and the k24a2 journals on the crank. I know the k20a3 and k20a2 rod journals are different.

I personally wouldn't go with 12.5 cr on a supercharger. I'm slowly in the process to build a supercharger setup that would make around 325-350 whp. I would say that very achievable, but that's pushing it. I haven't seen it exceed that mark for that style of a charger.

Also the k24a4 has a coolant port on the head, so you would need a Hasport IM gasket (freaking $134) or go with a k24a1/k20a2/z1 head and only have to worry about a Hondata IM gasket ($50).

I'm about to part from my k24a1 head from my k20 this week, if you're ever in Lubbock, I can give you a good deal. I have a full K24a1 coming from Dallas this week.

epictetrisbox
07-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Well I should have mentioned I have a z3 oil pump as well and I'm running an a2 in my car at the moment so the head and oil pump part would be in the clear for the setup. So I'm basically looking at swapping in aftermarket pistons for clearance and putting on my current a2 head? I was looking into building the motor outside of the car so I could swap it in on a planned weekend. But I could just get the bottom end set up for the mean time. Are the k24 blocks the same?