PDA

View Full Version : k24a2 will only do 15 sec 1/4 mile?

rowerperk
07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
I have an 04 K24A2, with plm header, custom exhaust, and rbb intake with SRI. Just wondering what is the normal for 1/4 mile times for anyone else who take their cars to the track with this set up or similar? My best so far is 15.1, but this was on a hot day, and data log showed 130 degree IAT and lots of ignition compensation. I know this is going to affect performance but I can't see it making a huge difference. Thought this set up would be able to make a little better times then this, but then again I do only have the stock ep3 transmission and all season tires. Any thoughts? Think I will get a cold air intake to start.

captaingamez
07-23-2013, 06:35 PM
no LSD, 220hp, 2800+ lbs, all season tires, 130 IAT.............

15.1 is pretty good

typeflex
07-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Damn, the z3 without the supercharger in my ep feels slow as F! I felt so disappointed when the z3 went in. LOL!

Powers
07-23-2013, 06:44 PM
I know one member here did 13.5 on slicks with a killer vtec k24a1. I don't remember the tranny though.

rowerperk
07-23-2013, 09:11 PM
I know I'm probably doing things in the wrong order, but I was just so excited to get a tsx engine in there so I did that first. Good to know there is more improvement for quarter mile times though. I find the 5 speed tranny just fine for this engine, can keep it in vtec just fine between shifts, but lsd would be nice, traction in first gear is almost non existent. The all seasons tires don't help that either!

gtecd20
07-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Have u tuned your kpro?

lemonhead228
07-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Get some better tires! If you're a good driver you should be high 13s- low 14s

SinisterCivicSi
07-24-2013, 09:34 AM
i run 14's with a k24a4 so yea, there is definatly room for improvement!

rowerperk
07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I've tuned kpro myself, and ignition is timed a little on the safe side so there could be a little power to be picked up there. I am still learning kpro and as I get more comfortable with it I will probably be able to get some more power out of this engine. I'd like to talk to more people with kpro tuning experience to tell me if im doing anything wrong. And who has any ideas for a cold air intake with RBB? And tires are definitely the next thing on the list!

captaingamez
07-25-2013, 09:02 AM
I felt so disappointed when the z3 went in. LOL!

first time I've ever heard that in my life.

I've tuned kpro myself, and ignition is timed a little on the safe side so there could be a little power to be picked up there. I am still learning kpro and as I get more comfortable with it I will probably be able to get some more power out of this engine. I'd like to talk to more people with kpro tuning experience to tell me if im doing anything wrong. And who has any ideas for a cold air intake with RBB? And tires are definitely the next thing on the list!

tune it on the dyno now that u have it close, you will find more HP i guarantee.

the intake manifold will help, i dont know what exhaust ur running but if stock, the exhaust will help too,

but nothing is gonna help like an LSD will at this point.

and stripping your car out.

but your iat should be lower, and you need better tires for a baseline IMHO.

lemonhead228
07-25-2013, 09:39 AM
I think he was coming from a k24a2 that's why it's a down grade lol

mussh
07-25-2013, 11:29 AM
if you're spinning, you're not winning.

suspension upgrade will help put the power to the wheels.

lemonhead228
07-25-2013, 02:16 PM
if you're spinning, you're not winning.

suspension upgrade will help put the power to the wheels.

Especially mounts.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-25-2013, 06:01 PM
seat time too

rowerperk
07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks a lot and I will consider getting it tuned, its something I want to do to get an idea of hp anyways. Exhaust is plm header, vibrant high flow cat, custom pipe to megan axle back. Intake is definitely an issue, I'm not sure what to do other then get rid of the RBB intake manifold, I can't see any other way to route piping to the front bumper to find colder air. I've already replaced tires and will be interested in seeing how much of a difference that will make. LSD would make a huge difference, but was not in the budget when I did the engine, maybe down the road I will get it. Suspension is type R DC5, and energy engine mount inserts. Not planning on turning it into a drag car, I love what this car is and will never strip it out, its all original inside and out, other then under the hood! Just want to have a little fun with it on weekends and get the most out of it.

Slip_Angle
07-27-2013, 08:09 PM
I made an intake that grabs cold air from the back side of the wheel well. Seemed to work good.

1GR8EP3
07-28-2013, 11:01 AM
I would throw the stock ep3 intake manifold on (prb intake mani if i am correct), you do have to tap the head to accept the stock coolant lines. with the stock mani on there you could run any intake you want.

check out this thread you will see where they tapped the coolant passage
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=38349978

Slip_Angle
07-28-2013, 07:37 PM
PRB would be a downgrade. I think the problem is mostly due to the tune and 3rd gear in the 5 speed. Wait for a better day, work on the launches and get a tune. Once all that has been solved then look into an LSD.

RBB is the least of your worries. It's likely the best manifold for basic bolt on's.

lemonhead228
07-28-2013, 11:41 PM
PRB would be a downgrade. I think the problem is mostly due to the tune and 3rd gear in the 5 speed. Wait for a better day, work on the launches and get a tune. Once all that has been solved then look into an LSD.

RBB is the least of your worries. It's likely the best manifold for basic bolt on's.

Yea I second this.. You need better tires and LSD. You prolly cant catch traction with all that torque

rowerperk
07-29-2013, 05:18 AM
I made an intake that grabs cold air from the back side of the wheel well. Seemed to work good.

I'd love to see a photo of this. I wonder if anyone has ever made a tasteful looking intake scoop on the hood? I see there's some carbon fibre hoods with vents, that would probably even help.

wcmbrk
07-30-2013, 01:16 AM
I know one member here did 13.5 on slicks with a killer vtec k24a1. I don't remember the tranny though.

It was 1gr8ep3 and he did it with the a2 6 speed here in sac

gtecd20
07-31-2013, 07:16 AM
Yea I second this.. You need better tires and LSD. You prolly cant catch traction with all that torque

i think all k24a2 owners have the same problem putting all the power down, right now my tires suck so it spins all 1st and 2nd. My bros FA5 grips right away and have seen having an LSD makes a big difference.
ive noticed the hasport mounts help get rid of the wheel hop

Slip_Angle
07-31-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd love to see a photo of this. I wonder if anyone has ever made a tasteful looking intake scoop on the hood? I see there's some carbon fibre hoods with vents, that would probably even help.

I didn't get a direct photo of the intake hose at the wheel well but here is the thread. Just imagine the tube sitting right next to the tie rod getting relatively cold air.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?72325-Custom-Airbox-Installation/page2