PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Vtec and iVtec?

Smooth EP3
07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I know Vtec is for added power and that iVtec is a more eco-friendly version of added power. But what's the actual difference between them. Does the iVtec still kick in like normal at higher RPM's? - Is it not as strong?

Any information would be appreciated!

ShadowEP3
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
it's a retarded way of say you have VTEC--kinda like the iPhone

VTEC depends on the motor in question; assuming you have a stock EP3, the K20A3 doesn't use VTEC in the conventional method--VTEC kicks in ~2200 RPMs (eco-friendly, as you mentioned), where as a K20A2 (found in the 02-03 RSX-S) is the conventional VTEC (kicks in at high RPMS)

white_chris
07-28-2013, 06:10 PM
iVTEC is simply Honda's VTEC (valve timing and lift control) technology with VTC (variable timing control) added. Please refer to this excellent article for more detailed information: http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

bemmis
07-29-2013, 01:36 AM
research it for yourself. I thought VTEC controlled valve lift and duration by engaging an additional cam profile. iVTEC also controls valve lift/duration, but also controls cam angle via a cam gear that can rotate on its hub.

superchargedk20
07-29-2013, 02:26 AM
What the heck bemmis takumi doesnt smoke !

EUB44
07-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Really ??? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+i+vtec+and+vtec

captaingamez
07-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Really ??? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+i+vtec+and+vtec

hey, that isnt REALLY REALLY FUCKING OLD AT ALL.

grow up.

why people post if they dont have anything to contribute I truly dont understand......
are you just upping your post count? typing really isnt that hard, and it took me 3 minutes to regurgitate this.

Vtec and Ivtec are systems Honda put in place to get more power out while maintaining better fuel economy while not hard on it.

Ivtec activates at a low rpm changing from one fully open intake valve to two fully open intake valves.

current real Vtec operates on the 3 lobe cam system. it runs on the small "economy" lobes while your not flooring it or not hard core driving. they Vtec activation depends both on load, acceleration, and throttle position. for example, the vtec system will stay in "eco lobe" mode all the way up to I think 5800 rpm as long as you are at less than half throttle. more than that and the vtec opens up lower. but it will always open at 5800 completely.

on both systems there is variable cam timing. on I-Vtec motors you have 25 degrees, on Vtec motors you have 50 degrees of variable cam position.

hope that helps, anything beyond that you will have to research some.

Smooth EP3
07-29-2013, 09:10 AM

grow up.

why people post if they dont have anything to contribute I truly dont understand......
are you just upping your post count? typing really isnt that hard, and it took me 3 minutes to regurgitate this.

Vtec and Ivtec are systems Honda put in place to get more power out while maintaining better fuel economy while not hard on it.

Ivtec activates at a low rpm changing from one fully open intake valve to two fully open intake valves.

current real Vtec operates on the 3 lobe cam system. it runs on the small "economy" lobes while your not flooring it or not hard core driving. they Vtec activation depends both on load, acceleration, and throttle position. for example, the vtec system will stay in "eco lobe" mode all the way up to I think 5800 rpm as long as you are at less than half throttle. more than that and the vtec opens up lower. but it will always open at 5800 completely.

on both systems there is variable cam timing. on I-Vtec motors you have 25 degrees, on Vtec motors you have 50 degrees of variable cam position.

Don't blame him, he's just following the crowd of what everyone else typically says when someone asks a question.

But for a response, I did search first, but found no results on the EPHatch. I also searched on Google; After I made this post, I found that it isn't considered a real Vtec, but more of an economy version, as well as activating at 2500 or so I believe (can't remember). <~ This I found crazy.

Just as a tip to the one who posted the whole Google pointless reply, it's good for these questions to be answered on this forum if it hasn't before. It not only helps new members like myself in the future, but it also helps with Search Engine Optimization for EPHatch.com - What does this mean for the site as a whole? - It brings in more traffic from Search Engines, thus supporting the forum.

captaingamez, Thanks for the reply. The information was very helpful. Much appreciated!

riceislame
02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
What the heck bemmis takumi doesnt smoke !

yes he does, there is a scene of him stomping out a cigarette butt before entering the tofu shop, in the first season of initial d all of the male characters smoke with the exception of Itsuki

gribly
02-28-2014, 12:41 AM

grow up.

Just saying, but you're passing bad information. VTEC is SOHC or DOHC with a high rpm event that engages a higher lift cam lobe. Classically, it's three lobe DOHC. I've got a '98 EX torn apart in my garage right now with SOHC VTEC though. I-VTEC is DOHC with variable cam timing. There are motors like the stock Civic Si EP3, RSX, and the CRV that have the low rpm engagement event which is basically, one intake valve per cylinder does almost nothing below 2200rpm to improve torque. There are also I-VTEC motors like in the RSX Type-S, Civic Type R, and Accord Type R that have three lobe "classic" plus the variable cam timing. Really, the "I" just means variable cam timing.

captaingamez
02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Yes you are right, my description was not %100 correct. But that is the difference between economy and high output version s of the K series vtec system.

But Ivtec does mean basically, variable cam timing, all the new systems are Ivtec.

gribly
03-02-2014, 01:12 AM
I suppose I can't disagree with you there. I could have just said "No, the "I" just means variable cam timing." Seems quite a few manufacturers do it now, even the Mustang.

2004ep3hatch
03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Actually the I-VTEC means "Intelligent" Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control.

The RSX and Civic Si both have 50 degree VTC gears, not 25. The K24A2 has a 25 degree VTC. Im fairly certain about it :).

superchargedk20
03-04-2014, 09:01 PM
This never happened . Itkeni or kenji also i have never seen smoke. Prove me wrong and supply the clip. I own all the seasons and never seen it

superchargedk20
03-04-2014, 09:02 PM
yes he does, there is a scene of him stomping out a cigarette butt before entering the tofu shop, in the first season of initial d all of the male characters smoke with the exception of Itsuki
Meant for u