PDA

View Full Version : help!? engine wont start

sp00n sp0rts
08-03-2013, 06:11 PM
the thing is when i try to start the engine all i could hear is the drive belt turning thats all and its been awhile since i haven't used my ep3 the last time i used it was like i think last october i did put fresh oil in and a new oil filter and radiator fluid then i replaced the intake cam with a a2 cam then i did do a valve adjustment and i did change out the fan switch but i dont know why it wont start it might be a fuel pump? coz it has been a long time since i did not use it plus there was gas in the tank when i last used it.. PLS HELP! one more thing there was no engine light..

Powers
08-03-2013, 07:15 PM
What motor is it? K20a3/2/z1/z3 k24 etc

sp00n sp0rts
08-03-2013, 07:18 PM
its a k20a3 or it might be a starter im not sure..

mussh
08-03-2013, 07:26 PM
have your battery tested.

sp00n sp0rts
08-03-2013, 07:48 PM
i did have my battery tested the battery was low so i charged it at oriellys for 30 minutes and said it was good to go. my battery is a yellow optima and i read on the optima website that you have to charge the battery for 12 to 24 hrs but im not sure..

Powers
08-03-2013, 08:15 PM
And you replaced a cam with a k20a2 cam? What mods are done to the car.

sp00n sp0rts
08-03-2013, 09:13 PM
i changed out the k20a3 vtc cam with the k20a2 vtc cam i changed out the header the radiator fan switch, torque damper under brace strutbar and changed out the exhaust bushings and yellow optima battery and i also changed the shifter bushings.. i think it might be a faulty battery i have to go check again..

mussh
08-04-2013, 03:27 AM
i did have my battery tested the battery was low so i charged it at oriellys for 30 minutes and said it was good to go. my battery is a yellow optima and i read on the optima website that you have to charge the battery for 12 to 24 hrs but im not sure..

about 4 years ago I bought a yellow top optima. it went bad in just over a year, with no warning. usually there is a "trickle down effect". not with that yellow top, it just died.
I doubt I would use one if it was given to me free after that.

tinman5
08-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Your initial post is throwing me off. You turn the key and you hear the drive belt spinning?
If the starter is not getting sufficient juice you hear the tell tale "click". At this point the battery should be looked at but even clicking the starter indicates the battery is not completely drained.
Now if the engine is in fact cranking over and turning we continue down the path of combustion. Fuel, air and spark. When you turn the key does the fuel pump prime? You should hear the light whirring from the back end. Are you in fact getting fuel out if the injectors? Leaving a car parked for extended periods opens the door to varnish. And that just gums up everything.
Hopefully its something simple.
Just for clarification, you are running a 3 lobe A2 camshaft on an otherwise stock head?

Powers
08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
And no kpro. I can bet that a2 cam is what the problem is. The only way to run a2 cams in a a3 or k24a1 is to run a3 exhaust rockers on the intake and exhaust side. You'd have to have he rockers shaved so the a2 cams vtec lobe is always running. This setup is called vtec killer. And you would need kpro. If you don't have this setup take that cam out put a a3 cam back in there.

sp00n sp0rts
08-04-2013, 12:39 PM
yes i hear the drive belt spinning and there is know crank.. yes i changed out the vtc cam of the a3 to an a2 coz i thought it would work and no kpro ok coz at first i thought a a2 vtc cam would work with a a3 head.. then i will have to switch to the a3 vtc cam and hope it will work..

USAF EP3
08-07-2013, 10:53 PM
yes i hear the drive belt spinning and there is know crank.. yes i changed out the vtc cam of the a3 to an a2 coz i thought it would work and no kpro ok coz at first i thought a a2 vtc cam would work with a a3 head.. then i will have to switch to the a3 vtc cam and hope it will work..

Sweet baby Raptor Jesus! It's difficult for me to decipher the message you're trying to relay to us.

Did you install a K20A2 VTC camshaft gear sprocket? IS that what you did? Or did you install the entire camshaft AND gear sprocket altogether?

When you mean the drive belt spinning, are you saying that your engine IS turning over? If your engine is turning over when you click over to ignition with your key, please confirm that with us.

If your engine IS turning over and not wanting to start up then you have an air/fuel delivery problem. This may be a long shot but you need to take head of the following:

Friend of mine last year was rebuilding a K20 for another friend and couldn't get the engine to start up. The original engine was a cracked block so it got starved of oil and they needed to install new camshafts. When they installed the intake camshaft with the VTC gear sprocket they didn't align the small dowel pi that sticks out of the intake cam properly inside the cam gear sprocket. Because of this, the intake valves were not fully closing and the engine was not making any compression at all (they compression tested and got 0 across the board) to get it to start.

YOU MAY have done what my friend did previously. Check over your work and see if you did the install properly. Download the Honda Helm's manual and follow the steps for the task on installing the VTC cam gear sprocket.

sp00n sp0rts
09-09-2013, 10:28 PM
my bad sorry for the bad english.. i installed the k20a2 camshaft on the k20a3 head with the k20a2 sprocket coz i thought it would work but i checked and no you cannot thats unless your going vtec killer set up and so i did put everything back as it was and gave it a valve adjustment and it would not start i have no clue why it would not start i tried starting it but all i could hear is the timing belt move and i even took of the valve cover jus to check if the cam chain even move with the cams and they did and i checked the gas line and there was gas coming out which meant that the gas pump is ok then i checked the battery and it was all good and even checked the ignition switch but the thing is when i checked the spark plugs i was not getting any spark so i changed those and still nothing could it be my starter? or jus my battery connections to the starter coz of corrosion.. i might check it after work.. i jus mis riding my ep..

USAF EP3
09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
my bad sorry for the bad english.. i installed the k20a2 camshaft on the k20a3 head with the k20a2 sprocket coz i thought it would work but i checked and no you cannot thats unless your going vtec killer set up and so i did put everything back as it was and gave it a valve adjustment and it would not start i have no clue why it would not start i tried starting it but all i could hear is the timing belt move and i even took of the valve cover jus to check if the cam chain even move with the cams and they did and i checked the gas line and there was gas coming out which meant that the gas pump is ok then i checked the battery and it was all good and even checked the ignition switch but the thing is when i checked the spark plugs i was not getting any spark so i changed those and still nothing could it be my starter? or jus my battery connections to the starter coz of corrosion.. i might check it after work.. i jus mis riding my ep..

Okay, so your engine is turning over when you turn the key? Or do you hear a 'click' sound and nothing happens?

sp00n sp0rts
09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
the engine is turning over..