PDA

View Full Version : FULL exhaust system for less than $500

poeticfinesse21
08-18-2013, 09:51 PM
One of the most common (and annoying) questions that pops up here and on countless other car related forums is "What header/exhaust should I buy?" "Is insert brand name here worth the cost?" "Should I go 2.25", 2.5" or 3"?"

This is just me sharing what I decided to do. Essentially all exhaust systems are nothing more than metal pipes. After doing literally years of research, I found it plain ridiculous that some of these companies charge over damn near $700 for a catback system or race header :mmad: A majority of us here just want to make our driving experience with our cars more enjoyable so why spend $1500 on some name brand race header and catback system?

So after my research, I settled on a RSX-S spec OBX V2 race header (the comptech replica for $213 shipped)
http://www.fuzionetics.com/ebay/new/H11087S_3.jpg

A RSX-S spec 2.5" stainless steel ebay catback ($109 shipped)
http://www.dptmotorsport.com/DPT/ebay/CBE-ARSX-S.jpg

And a OBX dual tip muffler ($60 shipped)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S_mKwnZ0Tm8/UASGf1qgPOI/AAAAAAAAILw/Gnbtq35QhRw/s512/hr12-1.JPG

All items were top notch quality, even the ebay catback. I could barely tell the difference between it and some other overpriced name brand catbacks (cough, buddy club, cough). I did the install myself and took the car to a muffler shop so they could cut off the fart cannon and weld on the OBX muffler. Cost for cut and weld was $35. The tips stick out a little more than the stock muffler but other wise it looks just like stock. It sounds great but it is just a little too loud for my taste so I put in an order for a vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

Total cost including resonator: $472 + I estimate $50 total muffler shop labor cost

If you don't mind the loudness or the fart cannon then without the resonator or the muffler it would only be $322.

So for less than the cost of just one "high end" race header or catback, I have a full 2.5" inch exhaust system. Just throwing it out there.

Pics of final result:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/969285_607819235929044_1605432372_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/546911_607819309262370_336228961_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1005230_607819375929030_2132520410_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1098534_607819505929017_918372542_n.jpg

cvicep3
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Nice, keep us posted.

poeticfinesse21
08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Pics added

superchargedk20
08-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Ur paying for more than just a brand on what you call "high end" . Your paying for the r&d that needs to be done into making a quality race header. Its just not medal slapped together. A header is actually quite a complex piece. Then ebay companies steal the designs and sell there crap for half the price. It ruins the market.

poeticfinesse21
08-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Agreed, which is why I went with the OBX V2 header. It's an exact copy of the comptech race header for about a third of what they used to cost. Plenty of people here and on clubep3/clubrsx vouch for this header.

This thread is directed more towards people like me who just want to enhance their daily driver experience. My car has 206k. I am not going to spend $800 or more for a race header, especially when HP gain difference is minimal.

mussh
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
hows the sound?
feel the difference?

looks good!

captaingamez
08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I want this header, but will it fit with K24? ith em2 sway?

anyone know?

Ur paying for more than just a brand on what you call "high end" . Your paying for the r&d that needs to be done into making a quality race header. Its just not medal slapped together. A header is actually quite a complex piece. Then ebay companies steal the designs and sell there crap for half the price. It ruins the market.

yes, thats true, some of the best power making exhausts are in the $3k range for truely awesome stuff.

superchargedk20
08-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Agreed, which is why I went with the OBX V2 header. It's an exact copy of the comptech race header for about a third of what they used to cost. Plenty of people here and on clubep3/clubrsx vouch for this header.

This thread is directed more towards people like me who just want to enhance their daily driver experience. My car has 206k. I am not going to spend $800 or more for a race header, especially when HP gain difference is minimal.

Im pretty much thread jacking so im gona shut up after this. And u have a valid point on your dd. It just sux if everyone goes the cheap route. Then if the "quality" companies go out of business because everyone buys knockoffs, then what? Whos gona make the parts for the ebay companies to rip off?

lemonhead228
08-25-2013, 02:24 AM
I want this header, but will it fit with K24? ith em2 sway?

anyone know?

yes, thats true, some of the best power making exhausts are in the $3k range for truely awesome stuff.

Yea the header will clear with the stock sway but since you have the em2 you're golden

klik
08-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Im actually doing this kinda setup ebay rsx s spec catback and dynomax vt muffler on the end. Well besides my plm raceheader.

Gaige23
08-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Similiar to mine. OBX V2 header, ebay midpipe, ebay twin loop muffler. Had to take it to a muffler shop to get it tweaked a bit but I still paid less than $400 and it looks/sounds good. The tip is a little to big imo, but ah well.

poeticfinesse21
08-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Forgot to update here lol So I got the resonator earlier this week and got it installed and holy shit, what a difference!! My exhaust went from obnoxiously loud to quiet as a mouse but still sounds like a beast at WOT. I strongly recommend getting a vibrant ultra quiet resonator to anyone who feels that their exhaust is too loud.

cyllarus
08-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Saved. I intend to directly copy this setup.

Forgive my ignorance.. resonator is what / goes where?

sam10k
08-31-2013, 02:04 AM
What is the benefit of using rsx-s spec rh instead of ep3 spec rh?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

m3nace
08-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Tbh I think its just a bigger variety of choices

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

klik
09-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Forgot to update here lol So I got the resonator earlier this week and got it installed and holy shit, what a difference!! My exhaust went from obnoxiously loud to quiet as a mouse but still sounds like a beast at WOT. I strongly recommend getting a vibrant ultra quiet resonator to anyone who feels that their exhaust is too loud.

cool, I might do this if my set up will still loud after the k24 swap.

bemmis
09-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Just finished installing exhaust for <$500. DC5s Jackson Racing header-$220 shipped, DC sports exhaust-$100 local, stock muffler+welding- $20 = $320 EDIT:...I restored the muffler and sold it for $100 shipped. ($230 TOTAL!)

The DC exhaust was only $100 because of corrosion from WI winters. The flanges especially needed a lot of work for it to make a seal because DC uses a lower quality material for the flanges, which rusts badly, than they do for the piping. There was salt residue and discoloration everywhere. I used naval jelly/steel wool to remove any discoloration with great success, and was able to remove most of the corrosion from the flanges aswell with the help of a chisel... Took only about 2 hours to get it looking almost like new.... So good that I sold the muffler for $100 shipped. So the midpipe only cost about $15!

The flange was at a different angle than stock, plus the midpipe uses a flat flange instead of the donut gasket type like the muffler, so I had to have a new flange welded on, which cost $20. Other than that the fit is good. However, if anyone does this be sure not to shorten the pipe extending from the muffler too much, because there isn't much clearance between the swaybar and the muffler body. Mine are <1mm apart, but the gap grows when it heats up.

You can tell that the car isn't stock, but below 3000 rpm it isn't significantly audible from other cars while driving. At high rpm it gets a little louder....

http://youtu.be/rCrwr2ZyE4Q

It's faster too, especially between 3500-5000 rpm. JRRH probably achieves midrange gains because the runners are relatively short. The collector is located where the exhaust begins to run parallel to the floor of the car.

bemmis
09-01-2013, 11:35 AM
What is the benefit of using rsx-s spec rh instead of ep3 spec rh?

None. Rsx-S headers are easier to find, plus can be used with the stock 05-06 Midpipe which has good flow and is a very cheap, functional option for Ep3 owners since that midpipe can bolt on to the ep3 muffler without modification. Ep3 headers require either using the stock midpipe, which is very restrictive, or upgrading to an Ep3-spec exhaust, which used, are also much less common than their DC5 counterparts.

sam10k
09-01-2013, 11:52 AM
None. Rsx-S headers are easier to find, plus can be used with the stock 05-06 Midpipe which has good flow and is a very cheap, functional option for Ep3 owners since that midpipe can bolt on to the ep3 muffler without modification. Ep3 headers require either using the stock midpipe, which is very restrictive, or upgrading to an Ep3-spec exhaust, which used, are also much less common than their DC5 counterparts.

Can rsx-s shorty header or stock header fit ep3 stock downpipe?
I live in CA so rh may cause a lot troubles...

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

bemmis
09-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Can rsx-s shorty header or stock header fit ep3 stock downpipe?

I should have mentioned first that you should look this up using the search function. The information you seek is some of the most readily available on this site. Let's keep the topic about FULL EXHAUST for <$500. Shorty headers give almost no gains and are a waste of money, but as long as you have a catalytic converter you will be ok... ep3/dc5 shorty headers/oem are interchangeable.

EUB44
09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
I have buddy club pro spec. full exhaust brand new for $450. Let me know if you want one.

EP3Lov3
09-04-2013, 09:16 AM

There is a benefit of having a rsx-s spec rh vs ep3 rh. The benefit is that the rsx-s header has a 2.5" compared to a smaller collector on the ep3 spec rh

sam10k
09-06-2013, 03:54 AM
There is a benefit of having a rsx-s spec rh vs ep3 rh. The benefit is that the rsx-s header has a 2.5" compared to a smaller collector on the ep3 spec rh
AFAIK, 2.5" seems too large for k20a3 NA

danito321
12-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Hey poetic. Where did you find the box race header for $213 shipped?! I only see it for $270 and up. Also if I bought the rsx catback could I just bolt it all up or would I have to shorten anything. I was thinking of getting a twin loop instead of the canister or the twin tip you got to help keep sound down.

maksym
12-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Hey poetic. Where did you find the box race header for $213 shipped?! I only see it for $270 and up. Also if I bought the rsx catback could I just bolt it all up or would I have to shorten anything. I was thinking of getting a twin loop instead of the canister or the twin tip you got to help keep sound down.

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/acura-acura-rsx-exhaust-headers.html

captaingamez
01-03-2014, 05:04 AM

Its still hard to do this for less than $500 and not have it sound ricey.

Im pretty much thread jacking so im gona shut up after this. And u have a valid point on your dd. It just sux if everyone goes the cheap route. Then if the "quality" companies go out of business because everyone buys knockoffs, then what? Whos gona make the parts for the ebay companies to rip off?

Amen, thats why I dont rock fake wheels.

danito321
01-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I just can't justify paying twice as much for the stuff. If I was single and making the money I do now I would totally save up for name brand stuff. The pennies I do pinch and save is super hard to come by and usually ends up being used for diapers and stuff. Easy for you ballers but I gotta do what I gotta do. Plus... I've heard plenty of skunk2 and dc sports stuff sound "ricey".

captaingamez
01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Thats true, but to be honest I think the new Skunk and DC headers are complete garbage.

Everyone wants to rock an exhaust/wheels/mods. Nobody wants to save up over time slowly and buy real items though.

That is doing serious damage to the industry, and its our fault as people for doing it. We have allowed the Chinese to come in and copy everything, and then we give them money for doing it. Well real companies are actually seriously hurting because of this. What will the Chinese copy once all the real companiew are gone?

What wheels will be left to copy once Advan, SSR, Work, ect, ect go under cause nobody buys their products anymore? Or just as bad, how much will they have to raise their prices on their items just to stay in business?

If you go back 15-20 years, you had NO cheap fake option, you were real or you were stock.

Now nobody is stock and few are real.

You had no replica option for wheels, no replica option for exhaust, no fake china seats, and back then a sparco would run you like $380 brand new, a new Sparco now is like $600. A set of Rays? used to be like $1500-$2000, now? $3500. As more people buy fakes, quality of real stufff goes down, and price goes up.

we as a tuning world, have shot ourselves in the foot by buying from China, and now so much so that half the "real " stuff is now made in China just so the real companies can remain competitive! Its incredibly sad.

As long as you know what your buying and why, and you KNOW all of what I just said, then your already miles ahead of the regular enthusiast.

superchargedk20
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
U can thank the internet for that^^. I will never buy knock off crap for performance. ...

captaingamez
01-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Pretty much.

danito321
01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
We know... :|

danito321
01-23-2014, 11:30 PM
I just want to make sure... If I get the obx race header v2 for the type s and a type s cat back will it bolt right up and not stick out? I've read over and over again and there is no definitive yea or no.

maksym
01-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I just want to make sure... If I get the obx race header v2 for the type s and a type s cat back will it bolt right up and not stick out? I've read over and over again and there is no definitive yea or no.
Everything type s besides the axleback

danito321
06-06-2014, 04:13 AM
I finally pulled the trigger on a obx race header and eBay exhaust. Googled a coupon for sparktec motor sports and saved $10.

danito321
06-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Dammit. Sparktec motor sports is sold out. I'm on a waitin list until they get more