PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Rim Lip Question. ( save the hate )

GomesyEP3
08-22-2013, 07:59 PM
whats up guys, i recently got a pair of XXR 002 for free, and the reason being is because one of the rim lips is cracked, the dumb ass i got them from decided to go the "JB weld " epoxy route LOL. ive looked around online and have seen worse cracked rims fixed with a tig weld, i just wanted to get some peoples opinions on how bad it is and if anyone know a round about estimate on how much im looking to spend for repair, thanks guys. please no bad mouthing or trolling, its just a question. BTW a local rim shop says they start at 65$ for cracked wheels. http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/_Gomesy/photo20_zpsb8c411b1.jpg

mussh
08-23-2013, 05:11 PM
that's one hell of a crack.

is the rim steel or aluminum?
aluminum is very difficult to weld and if the rim is out of round....its totaled.
steel you have a better chance of getting it back to almost normal strength.

even if it was repaired, I wouldn't feel comfortable driving on that rim.

no hate.

usedep3
08-23-2013, 06:33 PM
If you got the wheels for free, I would just spend some money and just buy 1 new wheel to replace the cracked one. That's what I would do.

AKAahlecks
08-23-2013, 08:15 PM
If you got the wheels for free, I would just spend some money and just buy 1 new wheel to replace the cracked one. That's what I would do.

x2. It's like getting the whole set for the price of one.

Hasbro
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
d. all of the above

.colin
08-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Just get a new wheel. If it was a rare rim maybe try to save it. But as everyone says I wouldn't feel safe driving on a repaired wheel.

tinman5
08-24-2013, 04:06 PM
The cost of a new wheel is equal to the cost of a repair. Youre looking at somewhere north of $150 for a reputable company to fix that. Considering the casting methods used on cheaper wheels, the weld will probably be stronger than the original wheel.
I have seen quite a few wheel shops offer repair services but the equipment and skill level is subpar to say the least.
Buy a new wheel. Still quite the bargain.