PDA

View Full Version : Gonna tear into the gearbox, any suggestions?

tinman5
09-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I have finally decided it's time to install a helical. I shoulda done this years ago, but hey, thats how I roll.
I am waiting on a quote from LKQ for an 07 Si gear box with a damaged case. If the price is not agreeable I will be ordering the MFactory diff and an oem bearing/ seal kit for assembly.
My thinking is to have the syncros replaced outright while the case is split and everything laid bare. I have no reason to think nor suspect syncro failure or wear, but again, I dont wanna have to go in there again in a year for something I can pm now. What are the benefits of carbon faced syncros over standard factory and what is the wear like using them? Car is daily driven, 220ish horsespowers A2 mated to an otherwise stock 6 speed gearbox with a CC stage 1 (7 puck disc) clutch kit. I drive like an old lady 90% of the time, but I will drive the piss out of second and third gears in the hill country.
Second consideration involves gearing. Assuming I pick up the FA/FG tranny is there any benefit to swapping gears or final drive between the 2? I would love to lengthen first and second, but considering the cash outlay, I would rather not buy anything other than what is absolutely neccesary.
I thank you guys in advance, and as always I appreciate the input and information gathered.

USAF EP3
09-07-2013, 10:04 PM
No forced induction or nitrous? Carbon synchros are a waste of money, even if you had those.

The shorter gearing from the Z3 trans will wake that engine the fuck up. Before I was turbocharged with my K20Z3 it was a blast driving around, literally threw me back to my high school days when I had a 1999 Si with the stock B16 and SHORT trans, absolutely loved it.

If you don't care for that and would rather get a mix of short/long gearing, you COULD keep the 02-04 Type S 4.3 final drive, swap the 6th gear from the Z3 over (same as 04-08 TSX 6th), swap over the helical LSD for traction and you would have a pretty neat mix of somewhat short gearing 1st-3rd and longer gearing up top for gas mileage.

BTW, only way you are going to lengthen 1st and 2nd was if you kept your old EP3 trans and cannibalized them from it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/MJ23FE/Tranny%20Gear%20Calculations/K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg

superchargedk20
09-08-2013, 04:00 AM
Im no expert but I can tell u carbon synchros are a plus. Na boost nitros whatever u got. The one benefit I noticed is if u ever mis shift and u get that dreaded scratch u hear that just makes u cringe. im not a perfect driver and sometimes on hard acceleration I would mis shift and with carbon synchros it eliminates that scratch sound if u miss going into gear

Ba82Ep3
09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
07 Si gear box should have partial carbon syncs from the factory. In my opinion... if you have it apart... replace the synchros... all of them. Carbon are the better choice, and are really inexpensive considering OEM brass sync cost.

I honestly wouldnt mess with the ratios... if youre driving and 1st is too short from a light/stop sign... start off in 2nd. I mostly use 1st for uphill areas while parking... things of that nature. Otherwise i start off in 2nd gear...

tinman5
09-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Hmmm. Thats an interesting consideration.
I have a complete gearset from a base 5 speed RSX laying around.
I just realized that this next little splurge officially doubles the cost of what I actually paid for the damn car. Oh well...

On a side note, I have been shopping around for an old school Integra and find myself eyeballing RSX's. I gots an extra engine laying around...
Heaven help me.
Think I need counseling.