PDA

View Full Version : eBay Torque Damper Review

bemmis
09-09-2013, 11:16 PM
The design of torque dampers is in general is very basic, as seen in this video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPJBY46AWo (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPJBY46AWo) On the end of the plunger that is inside the tube, there is a washer fixed to the end of the shaft. The washer is located about half way down the tube between 2 identical rubber bushings, which occupy most of the remaining space inside the tube. When the engine moves and the plunger is forced in and out of the tube, the washer is pressed against the rubber. On acceleration one of the bushings is compressed; on deceleration: the other. Couldn't be simpler.

Ingall's, Monster X, J's, and Spoon all share this design and cost >$100. For something so simple it seems like a ripoff. The only way someone could make it cheaper would be with materials, brackets, and bushing material. As long as it's strong enough it would function the same: the only downfall would be <200g more weight, and a less fashionable finish/logo. The ebay TD looked too similar, plus could be retuned for free including shipping, so what the heck.

As soon as it arrived I disassembled it and sure enough the design is identical. It's more than strong enough too. I cannot perceive any difference between it and the J's racing TD, besides the logo.

http://secure.hostdeziners.com/speedstar/store/images/product_images/1819.jpg
Picture is from google, the brackets that it comes with don't look like this.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/andrewsvt03/torque.jpg

Something to try is using skateboard truck bushings, made to fit using a sanding bit on a dremel. Some skateboard urethanes have ridiculous amounts of research put into them. (abec 11, khiro, bones) There are dozens of options for compounds (rebound), hardnesses, and size. It's like an extra, customizeable engine mount that doesn't contribute to preventing engine movement/ creating vibrations unless there are heavy wheel loads, since a TD doesn't support the engine's weight.

Like lots of ebay stuff, the bolts were an illogical size (way smaller in diameter than the holes on the TD and brackets) so I replaced them. Other than that no issues.

EP3Lov3
09-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Have you installed it on the car yet?

bemmis
09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
yes. Before, most of the movement occurred at the top of the engine. Now that the TD is there, the top of the engine can not move as much, therefore more of the force is transferred to the bottom of the engine. The overall movement of the engine is much less, but more force occurs at the rear mount meaning that it will wear quicker whereas without the TD, the front, top, and transmission mounts experience greater loads. The force applied to each engine mount is proportionate to its prevention of engine movement.

tlikethedrink
01-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Bemmis,

Any pics of installed?

captaingamez
01-12-2014, 11:13 PM
^ +1

I assume that this probably wouldnt do much if you have aftermarket motor mounts though?

bemmis
01-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah pic coming soon.

It's true that the function of the TD is the same as stiff engine mounts. The bushings inside are softer than 60a so you can gauge the reduction in movement that would provide. I replaced the bushings in my TD with modified 97a skateboard bushings, and use it together with a hardrace passenger mount and 95a innovative mounts. This allows freedom of movement during small movements like when the engine is idling, but provides the same reduction in movement as having a 95a mount once the loads increase.