PDA

View Full Version : Progress Coilovers

chet
01-16-2003, 11:17 PM
I tried to get a PM to the guys at Showstoppers about possibly getting us a deal on these. But the mailbox was full. And I can't post in the vendors section. can anyone get a message to them . I was thinking about goin Tein Superstreet adjustables, but I really like the Progress springs and swaybars--I think I will stick with them. Any help would be uhh. . .helpful.

hamlet9634
01-21-2003, 08:28 AM
first of all, the progress coilovers are NOT OUT YET..

and are you really gonna spend 1500 on a set of coilovers when they come out? (the list price is 1499).

of course, i just spent almost 2K on a JIC coilover system.. so maybe i shouldn't complain

chet
01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Well, actually I am planning on spending that much for coilovers. I have Progress springs and sway bars on front and rear (lower), I really like the ride. The sway bars are really great for handling, And I won't go cheap when it comes to suspension.

Nevertheless, I called the Progress Group today and I was told that the coilovers I saw in Super Street were total demo and they would not have them out for our car until Summer. And if you spent nearly 2K for coilovers, why would you even ask me that?
I don't just buy shit because it was in the fucking movie. I find out for myself what is good and what isn't. Trial and error.

hamlet9634
01-21-2003, 03:57 PM
I think you missed the tone of my reply. Sarcasm doesn't flow well online.

I guess my point is that I thought spending that kind of money on a good coilover product IS worth it, hence my spending spree. I think the JIC product is the best on the market. Even after progress comes out with their coilovers, JIC will be superior.

So if you're gonna spend the money, do a little more research. Tein v progress v JIC.. JIC is the way to go.

chet
01-22-2003, 03:12 AM
Not to discount what you're saying, I totally agree. But the thing is, I have heard great things about the quality of all 3 makers. I've done a little reading online talked to a couple shops in my area about their opinion on quality. Of course that's sometimes difficult if he really pushes Tein. Anyway I didn't get the point the first time. But I will say I am sold on The Progress Group's workmanship on their springs and sways. I will probably stick with them regardless. How long have you been purchasing JIC equipment? have you ever had any Progress equipment?

hamlet9634
01-23-2003, 08:20 AM
never owned either of these brands before. From what I've seen, progress does really nice work. In fact, I plan to go with their sway bars front and rear as my suspension build up finishes off (almost done now).

As far as JIC goes, since they actually take their own stuff out to the tracks, they seem to know what they're doing. The pieces are high quality, offer a bit more adjustment than most everything else on the market (though i won't play with it that much once i get it set up.. just soften up the struts for daily Brooklyn driving and make it stiffer for autox), and they're really popular in the japanese aftermarket.

You're probably going to be fine with either set-up. Tein also supposedly makes a good product, though i've heard they've become a bit money hungry and less-product driven lately.

chet
01-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info on JIC. I have been wondering about someone else that actually track tests what they sell. You might check out www.progressauto.com if you haven't already. A little reading on Progress. I think their ethic is pretty impressive as well.

LazyAzzAzian
01-24-2003, 06:42 PM
hey chet how do you like the progress rear sway bar? i was thinking about getting one, but i wanna see is there a noticable difference? any info and experiences would be nice

chet
01-25-2003, 03:24 AM
The difference I noticed from the stock to Progress is amazing. I do have the front one to though. The Progress sway bars were nearly twice as thick and you could just feel the strength in them. The most important and noticeable area was accelerating into turns. The car doesn't slide or budge. Holds the line great.

I think it would be a good move to buy one. try and get your hands on a front lower sway bar too. I think you may notice it in the front of the car more. I can't really tell you what it would be like with just the rear. Check out their website (link above somewhere) and read up on their testing and R & D.

goldy02
01-26-2003, 11:31 AM
hey guys i have a set of tein type flex that i have to get rid of my fiance' just might be prenant and i can't keep riding on these with crazy bills you know what i mean?:'(

Cone Killer
01-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by chet
I can't really tell you what it would be like with just the rear. Check out their website (link above somewhere) and read up on their testing and R & D.

I can tell you what the rear only sway bar is like....OVERSTEER! And that's what it's desinged to do. These other guys who say it's great with the front and the rear probably still experience understeer or push. If that's what you want go with both, but if you want the rear to come around a little on fast turns, only go with the rear.

Read more about this here. (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5017&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

chet
01-26-2003, 02:27 PM
I will say that without the Progress sways, I would totally lose the ass end of the car if any acceleration was happening in a turn. Or taking off at a corner and accelerating throughout. After the Progress install, it doesn't slip. It tightened up the curves. Im taking turns at high speeds, testing the limits a little on those stock Michelins. I like how it rides. Like I said I just can't comment on the unknown. Thanks for the info Cone Killer.

Suk02Si
01-26-2003, 02:32 PM
but under any kind of acceleration, in the middle of a turn, or anything, most of the weight is tranferred to the back of the car giving you more rear traction. The ass end wont come around o matter hjow hard your accelerating, your front will understeer badly and you'll keep going straight.

Having a rear Progress bar will help eliminate most of that understeer. If you come into a corner a little too fast and brake late while turning, your ass will either come around until you get back on the throttle, or your inside rear tire will pick up and pitch the car into the turn.

chet
01-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Hey Suk02Si, that makes alot more sense to me. But I am still unsure how Not having a front sway vs. having one would be better or worse. I am new to a lot of this stuff, so I go on feelings. without the front Progress sway, it would feel like the front end would actually come up (loose) in the turn then I would lose power because without the front end securely on the pavement, you won't go. Right? So If the front end holds to the ground, even though your traction shifts to the rear; the front end is where you're going to get your power. So in my head, I would prefer the front sway keep the torque within the car and not lose it to the outside. Does any of this make sense?

Cone Killer
01-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by chet
Hey Suk02Si, that makes alot more sense to me. But I am still unsure how Not having a front sway vs. having one would be better or worse. I am new to a lot of this stuff, so I go on feelings. without the front Progress sway, it would feel like the front end would actually come up (loose) in the turn then I would lose power because without the front end securely on the pavement, you won't go. Right? So If the front end holds to the ground, even though your traction shifts to the rear; the front end is where you're going to get your power. So in my head, I would prefer the front sway keep the torque within the car and not lose it to the outside. Does any of this make sense?

You want the front to be loose. A tight front end will push all the time. When I come to a turn and I'm breaking, I get initial understeer. Then when I get off the brakes and maintain a constant speed I get oversteer. If you had a stiffer than stock front and rear sway bar your chances of oversteer are less.

Check out this (http://www.wtrscca.org/tech.htm) page for more info.

chet
01-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Excellent link and page. Thanks Cone Killer