PDA

View Full Version : Clutch and flywheel questions

team ERA 5
12-11-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm at 185k miles on my stock clutch. A few days ago I noticed how difficult it was to engage into a few gears, particularly 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I'm narrowing it down to my clutch.

Question I have to you transmission gurus is which flywheel would match perfectly with the exedy stage 1 clutch I plan on ordering. The car is daily driven with light mods (intake and exhaust) I sparingly drive spirited and mostly use this car as a commuter.

Thanks in advance.

captaingamez
12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
If its a daily driven car, dont do a stage 1 anything, just get an Exedy oem replacement clutch, they are good for about 300hp and your not pushing that. I am holding a K24 down with a stock ep3 clutch, been workin great for over 30k miles already.

Just use a stock flywheel as well, especially if your on the street. Always use a Daiken clutch!!!!!!!(exedy) Never cheap out on clutch shit, just buy Exedy.

And if your tranny is hard to shift, I would not be immediately looking at your clutch, Replace the oil first in the trans, level is likely low if you have never done it. Use Amsoil Synchromesh fluid, its the best stuff for K-series transmissions.

usedep3
12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
jesus! 185k on the original clutch...

I agree with this:

If its a daily driven car, dont do a stage 1 anything, just get an Exedy oem replacement clutch, they are good for about 300hp and your not pushing that.

DC5-S flywheel is worth it if you have a little extra cheddar. I have the DC5-R on mine with OEM DC5-S Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch. It's a great OEM setup. Just my opinion but I would just make sure you swap out the Exedy throw-out bearing for an actual Honda Piece.

Don't mean to thread jack but.... Does anyone know why Exedy lists the KHC10 for the 2002-2006 RSX-S AND 2006 Civic Si BUT has a different clutch (HCK1011) for the 2008-2011 and up Civic Si's?

danito321
12-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I agree. I don't believe your clutch is the problem. No doubt it's worn out but chances are it would be slipping not making it hard to get into gear. When I replaced my clutch at 133xxx miles it felt like I was driving an automatic. When I would step on the gas it would rev up all the way to 3500 rims before it would catch. That was just regular driving. When I saw my pressure plate it was basically metal on metal. I noticed that after a while it was difficult for me to shift as well. I changed the trans fluid mith honda mtf. It cleared it up right away and shifts were super smooth. I know that honda upped their formula because 8th gen trans had pop out issues. They were afraid of a major recall on the trans. They changed the formula and no more probs. a lot of people swear by honda mtf. I have no probs. never used anything else. I'm not too picky about fluids but I'll only buy honda mtf after reading about that.