PDA

View Full Version : Finally got one after 10 years

Claff
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I first looked at EP3s back in 2003 or 2004. I test-drove a new one but opted for a Hyundai Tiburon instead. But I never forgot about these things.

When the wife told me that she was sick of commuting in our ratty CRX with no air conditioning, rock hard suspension, and obnoxious exhaust, I figured I had to find something decent or she was going to go out and get something brand new. We started looking at Honda CRV or Element, then moved on to Subaru Foresters, then Mazda Protege5. Eventually we started looking for EP hatches, then Acura RSX.

I drove a few Civics but found them a little sluggish. I expected that with the one that had 192K miles on it; less so on the one with just 75K. I was a lot more wowed with the RSX-S but they were pretty scarce to find in my price range.

We tried to buy a Civic on New Years Eve at a Toyota dealer. It was a rough looking one but it only had 75K miles. They had to rush it through inspection before we could even test drive it, but we got to and the wife liked it. The dealer was asking $7500, I offered $6K with predictable results. I was willing to go as high as $6750 but the dealer only went down to $7K plus processing fee, so we walked.

This one was found on Craigslist where it had been listed off and on for a month. I called about it once before but we couldn't work out a time to see it that worked for both parties. I tried again after the New Years fiasco and it worked out much better. We looked it over, drove it, and bought it.

It's a 2002 with 110K miles on it. Everything works, and it drives well without any funny noises. Cosmetically I'd give it an 85% score. It has a pretty good size patch on the hood where the paint is missing, and the usual door dings and a couple scrapes that should buff out. The interior is 90%: the seats have no tears, it smells good, stuff like that. It's box stock.

I don't have much for plans for changing this thing up. It's winter, so I don't spend a lot of time outdoors thinking about what it needs. I know I want to wash/clay/polish?/wax the thing before too long. I'll cut a piece of vinyl to cover the chunk of missing paint on the hood. It'll go to my favorite window tint shop for legal tint, and I'll put in a more modern head unit. Other than that, it'll become the new commuter appliance, and I get to play with my CRX a lot more - win/win!

http://www.claffie.com/photos/2014/140102-02.jpg

http://www.claffie.com/photos/2014/140102-03.jpg

usedep3
01-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Nice!

She looks like she's in great shape for an 02 especially. Should make for an excellent DD. Glad everything worked out!

captaingamez
01-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Congrats!. Better late than never!

LouisianaEP3
01-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Looks exactly like mine when I get it back in 2009.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
01-03-2014, 03:09 PM
good find, enjoy it