PDA

View Full Version : Won't start - Engine turns, clicking sound, fuel pump running, battery power present

FromTheInside
01-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Need some help trouble shooting. EP won't start. The past 2-3 mornings it has been cold and it has been sluggish to start. The battery has power, headlights turn on, keyless entry works, radio works. Turned the key in the ignition and the engine cranks over slowly with a clicking sound. Fuel pump can be heard running at ACII position. Battery terminals are clean. Tried to jump it with my wife's car and the exact same thing continued to happen. Does this sound like spark plugs, starter..? Thanks.

Engine is A3, only mod is SRI.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvyohB65bgY&feature=youtu.be

captaingamez
01-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Look for rust or corrosion on the battery leads, and terminals, and grounding points/straps.

Or look for loose ground wire/positive cable.

Take them all off and clean them well and reinstall them. Should solve your problem

let us know.

FromTheInside
01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
just cleaned the battery terminals and no change. The ground wire was not connected to anything. Grounded it and still no change.

FromTheInside
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
tried to jump it again and nothing. now it barely turns over one time, but still clicks and has full power..

chrisbtsc
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure about these cars, but I know on my Toyota trucks that when that noise happens its time to rebuild the contacts in the starter. I don't have enough knowledge about the civics starters to know whether or not they are rebuildable.

Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Toyota+Honda+NipponDenso+Corvette+St arter+Rebuild+Kit+&_itemId=8016311075

chrisbtsc
01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Get a screwdriver and tap the starter a few times and if it starts up ok, then you know you need a new one.

FromTheInside
01-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Well it ended up being the battery. I thought for sure it was the starter but I figured first things first I would confirm the battery, so I took the battery to O'Reilly for a batt test and it was bad. Got a new battery and it started right up. Thanks for all the help.

FromTheInside
01-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Get a screwdriver and tap the starter a few times and if it starts up ok, then you know you need a new one. Thanks, this was going to be the next thing I tried too.

captaingamez
01-09-2014, 11:01 PM
LOL, glad you got it figured out. I was going off the assumption that the battery was good.

chrisbtsc
01-10-2014, 07:59 AM
LOL, glad you got it figured out. I was going off the assumption that the battery was good.

Same here, I had to go back and check, because I thought he said the battery was good. haha

captaingamez
01-10-2014, 09:12 AM
He did.

Moral of the story: never assume the battery is good, first thing you should do is have a place like autozone load test it.