PDA

View Full Version : Tokico D-Specs dead after 10 years! Best Coilover for $1000 or less?!?!

irrational
01-09-2014, 01:33 AM
You read it right. I'm not sure if that is long or short but 10 years of being lowered (D-Specs with Progress Springs) finally killed them. I figured this out by a combination of droning at speed, vibration, and flat sports on semi-new tires.

I was thinking of just getting new shocks/struts but figured for only a little more I might as well get some actual coilovers. I am looking to spend $1000 or less. Here are the coilover brands and models I've been looking at in no particular order:

- D2 Racing RS (adj damp) $910
- Function & Form Type II (adj damp) $975
- BC Racing Type BR (adj damp) $1000

- Function & Form Type I (non adj damp) $760
- Tein Street Basis (non adj damp) $810
- Skunk 2 Pro S V2 (non adj damp) $950

If you have any suggestions or recommendations, they do not need to be limited to this list.

I've been out of the game for some time but have owned my 2002 EP3 since it had 8 miles on it. I decided like in real life, it's cheaper to keep her. My EP3 will be getting rejuvenated! I plan on getting more involved with this forum again.

captaingamez
01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
If I had shocks in for ten years, I would be buying those again.

everything else yo mentioned will probably die in 4 or less.

Of course that depends on how many miles you put on your car.

MugenReplica
01-11-2014, 05:36 PM
So far I have 8 years on my Progress coilovers and 6 years on my Comdrive Ex Motion Athletr Orange coilovers with Ennepetal springs. Way more miles on the Progress though, around 100k and counting. Really good to know about. The Tokico/Progress combo though! Definitely the most mentionable suspension that I've heard of....

irrational
01-12-2014, 01:40 PM
I think ive narrowed down my choice if i go with a coilover it will be the BC Racing Type BR.

If not.....I just found a set of ground control sleeves and springs in my garage that i never installed, just not sure if they are EP3 specific or not. I may just buy another set of d-specs and go with this combo since i found them for $630 and it is obvious that they are robust.

captaingamez
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
If you are gonna stray, the BCs are a good choice.

04sidriver
01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
take a look at fortune auto also

EP3Lov3
02-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Koni yellow + ground control sleeves

irrational
02-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Ended up getting the BC Coilovers from Corsport. Pleased thus far even though i only have the rears installed. Waiting for RCAs Roll Camber Adjusters before i install the fronts. Build quality seems damn good and no issues thus far.