PDA

View Full Version : JDM Headlight paint

Pinoy84
01-17-2003, 05:18 PM
I havea question about the type of spray paint used in the headlight housing. If I plan to do the blacked out headlight project as noted in the "Projects" section they say to used flat black spray paint. I went to the store to buy some and noticed they have hi-temp black paint that would be ideal for headers. Headlight housing does get hot so would this hi-temp paint be more favorable then just regular paint. Ok, regular spray paint may be fine for stock bulbs but what if I did a real HID conversion for 500 dollars or so, I would assume these get extremely hot so would this paint be fine?

NamingException
01-17-2003, 07:11 PM
I painted mine with all-purpose flat black spray. Name brand, but nothing special. It's holding up fine, looks exactly the same as the day that I painted them. I've got stock bulbs.

I seem to remember some warnings about hi-temp paint. I'd do some searching on the site and see what you come up with.

If you're careful, and do a good job, your headlights will look awesome. Just don't paint over all the silver. If you paint too much of the housing, it will look weird.

Dunrick
01-19-2003, 07:37 PM
I just got done doing this too - and the hardest part is resealing it - I left the stock sealant w/ the new shit....and it was a pain in the ass to get the lens tightly set back onto the light housing....ohwell, its worth it - it definantly helps the car....

IceD out N CALI
01-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
I just got done doing this too - and the hardest part is resealing it - I left the stock sealant w/ the new shit....and it was a pain in the ass to get the lens tightly set back onto the light housing....ohwell, its worth it - it definantly helps the car....

can u post some pics? i'd like to see

Dunrick
01-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Post pics of me resealing it? or the final verdict? Mine look a lot darker than anybody else, I used ultra flat black paint - they look nice - helps the headlights a lot!

IceD out N CALI
01-20-2003, 09:54 PM
the final verdict please

Dunrick
01-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Mos def - I'll try to get some pics asap

Suk02Si
01-21-2003, 04:54 AM
SpeedRacer used ultra flat black on his and they look like charcoal, very rough and dark. I used some random black for patio furniture:D and they're semi-gloss, not as dark but still nice

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid34/p0cdeb5dddfb678bcb85523ab20d78229/fd33bc95.jpg