PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp

ramosjg
01-13-2014, 08:02 AM
I have a 2002 ep3my gauge never goes ovdr have but my coolant temperature reading is between 183 and 196. First what is thr normal operating temp of the car and second do i have a bad ect and thirdly do i have and over heating problem. Please help!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

captaingamez
01-13-2014, 10:18 AM
What are you using for a guage?

Your fan switch should be turning on around 185 degrees.

The dash guage wont start to show overheating until your over 200 I believe.

Normally you should stay below 200. 200-215 is your "danger zone" in my experience, anything in there is fine, but alerting, but above 220 and you should worry

ramosjg
01-13-2014, 11:02 AM
The stock gauage but for more accurate reading I use obd2 scanner

captaingamez
01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
if your fan is still turning on correctly, I would say your fine.

USAF EP3
01-13-2014, 11:55 AM
You're readings are perfectly fine.

As previously mentioned, the needled will stay just below half during normal operation. If it gets at half and above then you're already overheating.

The stock fan setting kicks on when the coolant temp hits 202*F.

The official overheating temp from Honda is 220*F if you were curious.

ramosjg
01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks a lot everyone

maksym
01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Sorry to interfere with the thread, but I have a question relating to the coolant temperature and didnt want to make another thread as far as this one is very recent. My friend has a problem with his K20a3 where the needle drops and the coolant temperature goes to approximately 140-150 (as the scanner says) when he is in 5700-6500 rpm range and while he stays in that range but gets back up when he gets into normal driving rpm range. Maybe it would go even lower but he didnt want to keep it between 5700-6500 rpm for longer to not make any damage. When he is driving at normal rmp range everything is fine. And it only happens while driving in any gear but not when standing and revving to those rpms. Water pump changed, thermostat changed, coolant temperature sensor changed, radiator cap changed, no air in the system, coolant stays level, car warms up fine, heat blows very well, fans kick in when needed and when the ac is on and no leaks anywhere. Been trying to figure out the problem but still no luck, maybe somebody knows what could be the problem. Been thinking it could be an electrical issue, a wire is grounding out somewhere but no issues found. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for thread jack again.

captaingamez
01-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Why is that a problem? Its probably getting cool because the pump RPM is high, and thus flowing a lot more water through your radiator. But I would think that the thermostat would be closing if that happened, I cant recall when our thermostat opens TBH.

maksym
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
It gets way too cold, and the needle drops almost to Cold Mark, it shouldnt really move that much. Yeah it opens at 169-176 Degrees...

captaingamez
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM
yeah that should not happen, it could be that the new thermostat is stuck open. That is definitely too cold.

patrickvertigo
01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
I have been having issues this winter with coolant temps myself. Although it has been as cold as -25F actual air temperature at times here in Wisconsin. What are your experiences with heater output in these cars? I've owned many other hondas but this one has been the worst as far as actual heat output. Starting to question if there is something wrong with my car also. When sitting at stop lights with the heater on, I can actually watch my coolant temperature gauge drop. On the highway I believe that I am getting to a proper operating temperature, but it also seems like the car isn't getting as warm as it should be. Even after driving a 1/2 hour on the highway, I can put it in neutral and the revs will still act like the car isn't completely warmed up. Sorry for the thread jack, but just curious what all of your experiences have been in cold weather climates.. Thanks for any information.

captaingamez
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Again, check your thermostat. If that is good, find out if one is available that keeps it a higher temperature.

maksym
02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Sorry to interfere with the thread, but I have a question relating to the coolant temperature and didnt want to make another thread as far as this one is very recent. My friend has a problem with his K20a3 where the needle drops and the coolant temperature goes to approximately 140-150 (as the scanner says) when he is in 5700-6500 rpm range and while he stays in that range but gets back up when he gets into normal driving rpm range. Maybe it would go even lower but he didnt want to keep it between 5700-6500 rpm for longer to not make any damage. When he is driving at normal rmp range everything is fine. And it only happens while driving in any gear but not when standing and revving to those rpms. Water pump changed, thermostat changed, coolant temperature sensor changed, radiator cap changed, no air in the system, coolant stays level, car warms up fine, heat blows very well, fans kick in when needed and when the ac is on and no leaks anywhere. Been trying to figure out the problem but still no luck, maybe somebody knows what could be the problem. Been thinking it could be an electrical issue, a wire is grounding out somewhere but no issues found. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for thread jack again.

Anymore input on this issue besides what was stated before?