PDA

View Full Version : Left parking LED is dim

02TafWhtSi
01-17-2003, 05:30 PM
I recently ordered a set of super white 194 parking LED's form Lightlens.com and they came pretty quickly ($11 shipped). After installing them I see that the left LED is significantly dimmer than the right. I had some trouble fitting the ballast back into the housing and I may have bent the diodes. I know its hard to diagnose without seeing it in person but any ideas on how to fix it? It lights but when standing about 50 ft. from the car the right side is visible while the left looks like the light is burned out - its that dim.:confused:

chakra71
01-19-2003, 06:20 PM
could be that you broke/cracked the solder joints (not sure without looking at it) or even a cold solder from the store. take it out and stick a voltmeter on it and see if you're getting a good connection.

2k2civicSi
01-19-2003, 06:37 PM
are they alot brighter than stock in genral?

02TafWhtSi
01-19-2003, 07:49 PM
ok update...I took both of them out and put the originals back in and...both light fine. So, nothing is wrong with the ballasts (great news). However, when I put the LED from the left side (the dim side) into the right side ballast - still dim. When I put the right side LED (the good one) into the left ballast it was bright. So, Lightlens.com shipped me 1 good LED and 1 bad LED but b/c I opened the package they are non-returnable even if defective. So I'm f'd out of $11. Oh well...thanks for the replies though

i-WERKS
01-20-2003, 09:17 AM
LEDs have a viewing angle where it is the brightest. You might have bent the LED and pointed it into another direction. That's why when you stand in front of your car, it'll show up dimmer. Try putting a blank piece of paper in front of the LED to see where it's pointed.

I have LEDs in the front driving lights and one light is brighter than the other if you stand directly in front of the car however if you move to a different angle, the other LED lights up brigher due to the viewing angle of the LED.