PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ignition and cluster

hamproof
02-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi,
Been having 2 issues with my 02 EP3 for a while now and trying to figure out best way to fix them.

1) The trip indicator stalk is broken. I cannot change from Trip A to B. Pressing it doesn't do anything. Thus, I have been unable to reset my "MAINT" indicator light for a while now. Any way to fix this? If not, I suppose I can get a new cluster. But searching for 2002 Civic SI or EP3 cluster on Google doesn't seem to return any place to buy them. Any ideas?

2) In the colder months, when I turned the ignition switch, the indicator lights will light up but engine doesn't turn over. If I hold on to the key in the III position, it'll eventually catch and engine starts. Or I can turn if OFF again and try. All the times, engine has started. When the weather is warmer, this is not a problem. Or when it is cold now (Michigan), if I drive the car to my destination, turn it off, and start it, there's no problem. It'll start immediately. Only present when car has been sitting for days and weather is cold. I don't think it is the battery as battery is relatively new (2 years)

Thanks.

captaingamez
02-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Hmm, the trip stalk is wierd. Mine acts like it doesnt want to work either sometimes. I know this may sound wierd but try pressing the stalk rather firmly and holding it for half a second to a second and releasing it thats what works for me.

when you turn the key to III do all the dash lights go out? they should. if so I would start by checking your starter, and the starter wiring. Its hard to diagnose electrical problems unless they are right in front of you (even then it can be hard) but I can try to steer you in the right direction.

USAF EP3
02-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi,
Been having 2 issues with my 02 EP3 for a while now and trying to figure out best way to fix them.

1) The trip indicator stalk is broken. I cannot change from Trip A to B. Pressing it doesn't do anything. Thus, I have been unable to reset my "MAINT" indicator light for a while now. Any way to fix this? If not, I suppose I can get a new cluster. But searching for 2002 Civic SI or EP3 cluster on Google doesn't seem to return any place to buy them. Any ideas?

2) In the colder months, when I turned the ignition switch, the indicator lights will light up but engine doesn't turn over. If I hold on to the key in the III position, it'll eventually catch and engine starts. Or I can turn if OFF again and try. All the times, engine has started. When the weather is warmer, this is not a problem. Or when it is cold now (Michigan), if I drive the car to my destination, turn it off, and start it, there's no problem. It'll start immediately. Only present when car has been sitting for days and weather is cold. I don't think it is the battery as battery is relatively new (2 years)

Thanks.

Regarding to your #1:

I just purchased an EP3R cluster for the higher rev range. If you'd like I can sell you my working stock cluster. PM me if that interests you.

hamproof
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
The stalk is not working for sure. I've pressed as hard as I can, hold for as long as I can, and it will never change the trip. I'm pretty sure some contacts within are worn or some other sensor not working.

I try the key again and in pos III, the usual indicator lights that should go off don't. These are the EPS, CHECK ENGINE and LOW OIL indicators. If I continue to turn the key, the engine will turn over and start. Then these 3 lights go off. But this is not consistent. Sometimes in pos III, these lights do go off.

What next?

USAF EP3 - where did you buy the EP3R cluster? Depending on price of new vs used, I may opt for buying new. If it is too costly, then I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks.

hamproof
02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant to say in Pos II not Pos III. It is strange. Didn't drive the car since Saturday night. Today, I turned the key and it started right up. It has been sitting in an unheated garage for 4 days and it fired up in the first try in the cold Michigan weather.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

captaingamez
02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Are you saying that when you turn the ignition to the start position (III), none of the lights on the dash go out?

I am not sure if this is in your realm of doings, but you COULD try taking out the cluster and cleaning the odometer button, it might help it might not.

hamproof
02-06-2014, 12:11 PM
when it is in the actual start position, all the lights will go out (ESP, low oil and check engine). But sometimes when I turn the key to Position III, nothing happens as in the engine doesn't turn over. Complete silence. Occasionally, if I keep holding the key there, it'll start. Sometimes, I would turn it to off, try again and it'll start. Other times, it'll start immediately without pause.

I read on some other forum (general Civic, not EP3) that the green key immobilizer indicator should also go off before it'll start or turn it to pos II and I should be able to hear the fuel pump priming. Not sure if it is the same behavior on the EP3. I would expect so.

captaingamez
02-06-2014, 12:44 PM
yes that should be the same, do you hear the fuel pump?

It sounds like you have some issue with your starter, either wiring or bad contacts or something.

Thing is its a massive pain in the arse to get to, but you can do it.

My honest guess is that the signal lead to the starter is corroded or loose and not giving signal consistently.

usedep3
02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
edit: gonna make new thread.

hamproof
02-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Hi usedep3,
I saw your response before you edited it to make a new thread. I couldn't find your new thread yet. But your symptoms are not quite the same as what I'm experiencing. I don't have a "hot" problem where the engine dies after driving for a bit if I remember your symptoms. A few others you mentioned I did not experience either. The common thread is the one where you said when you turn the key to III, the car is dead silent and sometimes from II to III, it is silent and eventually the engine will start.

usedep3
02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi usedep3,
I saw your response before you edited it to make a new thread. I couldn't find your new thread yet. But your symptoms are not quite the same as what I'm experiencing. I don't have a "hot" problem where the engine dies after driving for a bit if I remember your symptoms. A few others you mentioned I did not experience either. The common thread is the one where you said when you turn the key to III, the car is dead silent and sometimes from II to III, it is silent and eventually the engine will start.

Yea, once I reread the thread I realized I was combining symptoms from your car and another member. Thought a new thread (which I haven't made yet) would be better and avoid future confustion. If I figure/try somethine worth mentioning, I'll post back in here.

captaingamez
02-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi usedep3,

yes that should be the same, do you hear the fuel pump?

It sounds like you have some issue with your starter, either wiring or bad contacts or something.

Thing is its a massive pain in the arse to get to, but you can do it.

My honest guess is that the signal lead to the starter is corroded or loose and not giving signal consistently.

this

hamproof
02-08-2014, 04:40 AM
In that case, should I start from the starter going back to ignition or ignition going back to starter?

I'm guessing from starter since chances of leads in ignition getting corroded is probably slim to none. Any tips on how to check the leads?