PDA

View Full Version : New Guy! Hopefully a soon to be owner!

Jan Humphries
02-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Hey guys! These forums are pretty cool. I'm in the market to get a EP3! I think I found a really good
deal and need your opinions.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29209&endYear=2015&keywordPhrases=si&modelCode1=CIVIC&showcaseOwnerId=79490&startYear=1981&makeCode1=HONDA&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=300&maxPrice=8000&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=364790752&Log=0

Basically 85k miles for 5,991 with a clean car fax

Seems like a good deal but the dealer says it has a dent on a quarter panel. I asked him for pictures and this is what he sent me of the interior / engine / dent

For some reason it wont let me upload the other pictures but this is the picture of the dent.

What should I do in this situation? It's from a Honda dealership and they have their own bodyshop so I'm assuming they will fix it but the price will likely go up.

Thanks in advance! I'll see if I can post more pics

Jan Humphries
02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29209&endYear=2015&keywordPhrases=si&modelCode1=CIVIC&showcaseOwnerId=79490&startYear=1981&makeCode1=HONDA&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=300&maxPrice=8000&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=346699411&Log=0

Heres another one that I was looking at. Cosmetically it's in a lot better condition but it seems to have some after market stuff on it. I guess it really doesn't matter because I would want exhaust anyways. I need to get the car fax from the dealer on this one...

captaingamez
02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Welcome to EPhatch. You will find enthusiastic owners here who are willing to help!

My friend Jamie just sold his 2002 for $6300 and it was 90k miles and in absolutely mint condition and had never been damaged.

You didnt mention what year it is.

I would go and check it out, if the door closes mostly normal and the dealer handles all the body work AND comes in under $6500 I would say your good. otherwise I would keep shopping.

Good luck!

captaingamez
02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29209&endYear=2015&keywordPhrases=si&modelCode1=CIVIC&showcaseOwnerId=79490&startYear=1981&makeCode1=HONDA&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=300&maxPrice=8000&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=346699411&Log=0

Heres another one that I was looking at. Cosmetically it's in a lot better condition but it seems to have some after market stuff on it. I guess it really doesn't matter because I would want exhaust anyways. I need to get the car fax from the dealer on this one...

That one is a no go, the Recaro seats are missing and it looks like replaced with base model civic ones. No bueno.

Jan Humphries
02-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the reply! Didn't even notice the seats!

What about this one ?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=131224212&CMP=usedInv

Kind of a long drive for me but it looks very clean. 120k miles isn't that bad I guess. I suppose it all depends on the person driving it..

Thank you in advance..

USAF EP3
02-03-2014, 07:22 PM

What about this one ?

Kind of a long drive for me but it looks very clean. 120k miles isn't that bad I guess. I suppose it all depends on the person driving it..

Thank you in advance..

Great find, decent mileage but that price is very "MEH" at best. Get them down closer to 5k and you're golden.

It's a good stock car (you want this). If you are not familiar with modding or modded cars I highly recommend staying away from them, just get it out of your head now.

Stick to buying as close to stock as possible to save yourself the headaches.

Jan Humphries
02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Hmm. So it looks good to you? I'll need to ask them about the CarFax.

It looks pretty clean from what I'm looking at. Are these cars pretty reliable? I know its probably a stupid question seeing how its a Honda but just wondering. I figured if I didn't beat the crap out of it should last a while. I plan on doing some modifications but just the usual stuff like exhaust and a new intake.

This is my first time financing a car... do I have any leverage when it comes to talking them down in price since I am financing?

What sort of stuff should I look for when driving it? I suppose just make sure the clutch isnt slipping and listen to sounds..

Thank you in advance!!

USAF EP3
02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Hmm. So it looks good to you? I'll need to ask them about the CarFax.

It looks pretty clean from what I'm looking at. Are these cars pretty reliable? I know its probably a stupid question seeing how its a Honda but just wondering. I figured if I didn't beat the crap out of it should last a while. I plan on doing some modifications but just the usual stuff like exhaust and a new intake.

This is my first time financing a car... do I have any leverage when it comes to talking them down in price since I am financing?

What sort of stuff should I look for when driving it? I suppose just make sure the clutch isnt slipping and listen to sounds..

Thank you in advance!!

The older models (02-03) had a camshaft galling issue if 5W-20 non-full synthetic was used. It wouldn't lube the cam guides well enough and you would end up with metal filings in the crankcase.

Check door lock actuators, make sure you get the valet (grey) key and spare key.

The financing part depends if you are bringing your own financing to the dealer (pre-approved) or you are using the in-house financing from the dealer (not recommended).

I suggest going to a reputable credit union unless you are with one already and get a secured loan with them.

captaingamez
02-03-2014, 08:33 PM

What about this one ?

Thank you in advance..

That one looks nice. It has all the mud flaps, and the stock wheels, menaing it has mostly been unmolested it looks like. SSM (satin silver metallic) is one of the best colors for longevity, it holds up really well, and I am in Arizona.

6k isnt bad but closer to 5k would be better.

These cars are incredibly reliable. But keep in mind it is a 10 year old car and it is going to need things fixed just out of sheer age. None of the stuff that goes bad is abnormal for any car though, and most the things that go bad are inexpensive, and last longer than they well should anyway!.

on the cam galling issue, I put over 70k miles on an engine with galled cams, you will never notice the difference and it doesnt actually really damage anything in most cases, just use good oil.

The Valet key and things like the floor mats, are a huge plus and makes it more worth the price, so if it doesn't have either, talk them down.

check the Carfax, check for SRS lights or any indicators on the dash, take some hard turns during test drive and drive it over a bumpy area and listen for clunking or noises.

usedep3
02-03-2014, 11:51 PM
It looks like you're from the southwest and you're looking for a stock ep3. If you're ok with higher mileage, this one was recently posted:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?74321

captaingamez
02-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Screw mileage!!

I have over 300k, its meaningless.

Jan Humphries
02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
You guys rock!! Think I'm going to go with the one in VA. Going to give him $500 to hold the car for me until I get my tax return and loan goes through. Can't believe I didn't think of this before but I'm going to go through USAA for a loan. Right now waiting on the dealer to send me a CarFax report.

I'll keep you guys posted! The dealer said the only after market stuff on it is an intake and a muffler. I would have done these things anyway so it's not a big deal. Hopefully the previous owner didn't drive the crap out of it and the clutch is in good condition. My friend is going to go with me who is a certified mechanic so he should be able to see any red flags if there are any.

Jan Humphries
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Also once I get a loan how low should I try to haggle him? The KBB value is like $5400... what should I offer him? He wants $5991 for a clean 03 EP3 with 120k

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=131224212&CMP=usedInv is the link

captaingamez
02-04-2014, 06:44 PM
I would get him closer to 5500, but that one looks decent.

chrisbtsc
02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I'd put $4500 cash in front of him and see what happens. Worst thing he could say no.

Jan Humphries
02-05-2014, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad I did another search in Auto Trader this morning. This one is even better in my opinion and its 200 miles closer! Huge bonus considering I'm driving my piece of crap trade in to get the car lol!

It's a 2002 .. Is there any difference between this and the 2003? This one has 1k less miles and the interior seems to be cleaner. I called the guy about the original one ( http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=131224212&CMP=usedInv ) and he said that it does have aftermarket stuff on it ( Intake and a Muffler ).

The one that is closer and seems like in better shape is this one

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29209&endYear=2015&keywordPhrases=si&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=d&sellerTypes=d&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&maxPrice=7000&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=CIVIC&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=79490&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=1981&searchRadius=300&listingId=364992469&Log=0

Sorry for the long link can't figure out how to do the hyperlink reword thingie lol.

I'm going to offer this guy 5k + trade

One of you guys mentioned mudflaps.. noticed this one doesn't have any.

Thanks guys in advance! Can't wait until all this crap is done and over with and I can post pictures of my new ride!

Jan Humphries
02-05-2014, 05:08 AM
DAMNT just noticed this one doesnt have the little red SI badge. Oh well. Do you guys know where I can get one? I also want the red Honda symbol!

captaingamez
02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad I did another search in Auto Trader this morning. This one is even better in my opinion and its 200 miles closer! Huge bonus considering I'm driving my piece of crap trade in to get the car lol!

It's a 2002 .. Is there any difference between this and the 2003? This one has 1k less miles and the interior seems to be cleaner. I called the guy about the original one ( http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=131224212&CMP=usedInv ) and he said that it does have aftermarket stuff on it ( Intake and a Muffler ).

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29209&endYear=2015&keywordPhrases=si&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=d&sellerTypes=d&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&maxPrice=7000&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=CIVIC&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=79490&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=1981&searchRadius=300&listingId=364992469&Log=0

Sorry for the long link can't figure out how to do the hyperlink reword thingie lol.

Thanks guys in advance! Can't wait until all this crap is done and over with and I can post pictures of my new ride!

DAMNT just noticed this one doesnt have the little red SI badge. Oh well. Do you guys know where I can get one? I also want the red Honda symbol!

You can get the SI symbol for like 30-40 $ from a dealer. The red emblems are expensive, figure like $140 for a real set new.

That one looks great!, interior looks nice, I would talk him to 5k though, no mudflaps kinda sux, you definitely want to get them, because these cars love to torque steer and break the driver tire loose, which will spit rubber upwards. I have a nasty rubber stain on my front fender behind my wheel.

The only advantage to an 03 over an 02 is that the 03s have a newer style key, which isnt a big deal because all RSX have the older style key, so it isnt much difference, unless your getting a new key, cause the 03+ laser cut ones cost an arm and a leg. But the keys also never wear out.

chrisbtsc
02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I would still offer him 4.5k, especially if you want it for 5k. Start low. If you throw 5k at him right away he might want more.

Jan Humphries
02-06-2014, 05:02 AM
WOOT! Just got approved for the loan! Looks like I will be a new EP3 hatch member soon! Decided to go with http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=131224212&CMP=usedInv . I talked him down a couple hundred bucks but that was it. He is giving me a good price, and not far off from KBB values. I understand they still gotta make some money. The processing fees are only going to be $250 too, which isn't that bad compared to some other dealerships.

This thing comes with a K&N Typhoon CAI. Saves me about $200! That's the only aftermarket thing on it.

Attaching an image for you guys. I CANT WAIT TO START CUSTOMIZING THIS THING!!

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/Jan_Humphries/IMG_1427_zps2d2daedc.jpg

usedep3
02-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Congrats man! Make a member's ride thread with some new pics after you take ownership. Glad everything worked out for ya

captaingamez
02-06-2014, 09:02 AM

Great man, congrats, post up some pics when you get her home.

chrisbtsc
02-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Congrats!

Jan Humphries
02-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Hey guys! Got back from Virginia yesterday! 8 hours there and 8 hours back! So much driving but SO worth it! I love my new car. Everything feels solid and my friend who is a master technician at a dealership who went with me said I made out like a bandit! Car drives so awesome! Going from my old car ('94 mazda 626) with a really bad slipping clutch to this is like going from a Pinto to a Porsche!

I would post pictures but this site wont let me do it! I even tried Photobucket and it said the picture size was too big! So whack!

The clutch feels really tight and I'm almost wondering that the previous owner put in a new one before he sold it. I'm so in love with this car and so satisfied! No buyers remorse at all!

When I'm driving it is it safe to take it at like 4k RPM's? Will this be bad for the engine? I just love revving it with the MagnaFlow exhaust system and Typhoon CAI.

My first steps for maintenance is looking at to see if I need a new drive chain. Also putting in full synthetic oil and I'm ordering OEM Honda Tranny fluid. Is 1 quart all I need? Also getting NGK spark plugs.

Jan Humphries
02-08-2014, 01:05 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/Jan_Humphries/20140208_145015_zps2929a345.jpg

saidguler
02-08-2014, 02:50 PM
congrats. I bought si 2 years ago 2003 119 miles all stock. and other then regular maintenance it did not give me a problem. nice car and interior quality way better then most of the Hondas probably because of the made in UK. couple of my interior lights does not work but those are not a big deal even you can replace them if you will have a problem in future.

my roommates had 2005 bmw and 2005 Rx8 and they spent a lot of money to fix their cars. sometime they got jealous :rockon:

usedep3
02-08-2014, 04:22 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/Jan_Humphries/20140208_145015_zps2929a345.jpg

usedep3
02-08-2014, 04:28 PM
For the future, when using photobucket or any pic links, you just have to replace the red text with a photobucket link in the command below:

REPLACE THIS W/ PHOTO LINK

Congrats on the SSM EP3. It looks really clean. The hunt looks like it worked out for you.

For the tranny fluid flush, you need 2 qts and 2 crush washers. You can find this info and a tuturial in the DIY section.

Jan Humphries
02-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Ok thanks man! By the way what's your take on what RPM's I should shift at? It's really tempting to go up to 5k from 1st to 2nd but I don't want to do it if it will cause a lot of damage to the engine. Should I just stick to 4k when shifting? I'm just addicted to hearing the exhaust rev up lol.

I'll get 2 quarts of Honda OEM tranny oil.

usedep3
02-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Ok thanks man! By the way what's your take on what RPM's I should shift at? It's really tempting to go up to 5k from 1st to 2nd but I don't want to do it if it will cause a lot of damage to the engine. Should I just stick to 4k when shifting? I'm just addicted to hearing the exhaust rev up lol.

Just do it. You're gonna beat on the car eventually anyway. Rev away~

Just make sure to keep her properly maintained and happy.

captaingamez
02-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Driving it the way it was designed will not cause damage. Honda makes these cars to go the race track and drive back home. I redline my car every day at the least.

No you dont need a new cam/drive chain, it never wears out, unlike old Hondas with timing belts.

SSM FTW!!!

congrats. I bought si 2 years ago 2003 119 miles all stock. and other then regular maintenance it did not give me a problem. nice car and interior quality way better then most of the Hondas probably because of the made in UK. couple of my interior lights does not work but those are not a big deal even you can replace them if you will have a problem in future.

my roommates had 2005 bmw and 2005 Rx8 and they spent a lot of money to fix their cars. sometime they got jealous :rockon:
Those cars are stupid expensive to maintain.

Electrical problems= built in england, lmao.

At least Japan built the motors, hahaha.

Jan Humphries
02-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Hmm. So I don't have to worry about the drive chain then. That's nice to know. Maybe I should still look at it just to make sure.

What's SSM stand for? lol

Thanks!

captaingamez
02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Hmm. So I don't have to worry about the drive chain then. That's nice to know. Maybe I should still look at it just to make sure.

What's SSM stand for? lol

Thanks!

SSM is Satin Silver Metallic.

The cam chain in the K series is pretty much a solid setup, the only time I have EVER heard of a failure is when there is a failure in the cam chain tensioner(either faulty or oil pressure issue), and I havent seen that on an OEM tensioner. Also there isnt much you can really look at without engine removal, except the top of it where the cams are.

BUUUT.... This is probably a good time to do a valve adjustment, who knows if it was ever done before. That way you can get under the valve cover, take a look, see how clean it is and do the oil change at the same time.

Jan Humphries
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much! This community is awesome!

Only thing that my buddy said needed changing for sure was the drive belt. It was a little cracked.

So far my list goes next weekend as:

1. Replace Drive Belt
2. New Spark Plugs
3. Change MTX Fluid (Using Honda OEM) 2 Quarts
4. Changing Engine Oil (Trying out Royal Purple) Anyone know if this one is good? Got good reviews on Amazon for whatever that is worth
5. Oil Filter (Trying out the K&N Oil Filter)
6. Changing window liner (Parts are missing)
7. Now a valve adjustment. My friend is a master tech so this should be pretty easy for him I guess. Does anyone know if this is a pain in the butt or not? Either way I'm buying him lunch for helping me! Lol.

Future cosmetic babysteps:
1. Plastidip rims
2. Change color of middle console to red
3. Do valve cover red
4. Order shifter knob. Anyone have any recommendations?
5. Get red H emblems. Where can I get the cheapest pair of these?

Eventually get:
1. Tints
2. Spoiler
3. Front end body kit
4. Side trims
5. Lower

captaingamez
02-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Serpentine belt you mean.

Valve adjustment is pretty easy, should take about an hour or so.

By window liner, do you mean the window channel? like the seal that the window rides inside of?

I posted my thoughts on the oils in your other thread.....

saidguler
02-11-2014, 11:25 AM
i heard lot of good things about royal purple one of my friend use it for EP3 type-r in Europe.

about the shift knob, I have skunk2 and this thing is defiantly looks good and feels good. it supposed to be $45.

I got Tein street basis coil overs. they are perfect for daily driving. not stiff as hell so you are not worrying about blowing them. also Comfortable I can drive to New York City without any headaches. but of course it has only height adjustment just for lowering the car. probably not good for track or time attacks. but it is cheap you dont have to pay a thousands of dollars.

About the valve adjustment, it is necessary, it is not a rocket science. pretty easy but I don't trust myself (im suck at fixing things) so I will leave it to the dealer.