PDA

View Full Version : Random fuel cut?

SyckSiR
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I have an 04, 101,800 kms. Recently while driving the car seems to lose fuel randomly, like I'm driving and all the sudden the car stops accelerating and then seconds later it's back. It's incredibly random, like I could drive for 20 mins an nothing, and then randomly it'll happen, sometimes 2 or 3 times Sometimes more. I had an idle issue too so I removed tb cleaned iacv, swapped out tb for one with riveted tps (I have max bored tb with manually attached tps normally). Idle issue is gone. But weird sputtering remains. I've checked my grounds, changed plugs and have no codes. I'm totally stumped and frustrated. Anyone have any ideas?

SyckSiR
02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
ok, so today car turns over, idles really rough for like 5-10 seconds and then dies. cel indicator does not come on, but thro kpro i am getting a p1298 code for eld high voltage. before the cel i was thinking fuel filter/pump issue because of the cut out on fuel while driving. but am now totally stumped and frustrated. I have a new pump and fuel filter but i dont wanna go in and do the walbro install if that isnt needed. (obviously because you have to remove parts and cut the housing to use the walbro, so theres no going back with that). Any ideas? Anyone?

captaingamez
02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
it doesnt sound like you have an issue with your fuel pump or filter, but that doesnt mean that the fuel pump is running consistently either.

The P1298 ELD is a pretty simple fix, but it also has nothing to do with your issue

Could be an engine ground issue, but dont quote me there.

It sounds like loss of fuel pressure, as in your pump is turning off for some reason.

You can hook a fuel pressure tester up to your fuel line and drive around with it hanging on your windshield and see what it does when the stutter happens.

SyckSiR
02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
it wont stay running, it starts but starts REALLY rough and then dies. so driving is pretty much out. really smells like gas when it starts tho.

usedep3
02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
If ELD code comes up, why isn't the ELD being replaced? Was it? It's only a $30-35 part. I would at least take it out to inspect it.

Just my opinion but.. It may be a sensor issue stemming from a faulty ELD. It looks like a faulty ELD can cause alternator problems and various sensors to misread/fail:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?56897-How-To-Replace-ELD-(Electric-Load-Detector)-w-part-(P1298)

SyckSiR
02-06-2014, 01:57 PM
just got the code this morning, it didnt flash, only saw thro kpro, ordered one that will be here tomorrow. but unfortunately i dont think the eld is causing this problem, tho i could be wrong.

usedep3
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
I have similar fuel/ignition issues and I saw this code in kpro. Code did not come up as a CEL or on my OBD scanner. I was going to give this a try. Figured it was worth a shot.

SyckSiR
02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
yea, im in the same boat. I ordered it, but it cleared my codes, swapped out the plugs, which were black as night, and recleaned iacv. Still same result tho. The eld code did not come back when I tried starting it again. swapped my hondata map for a stock one and didnt help either.

SyckSiR
02-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Could a crapped out o2 sensor be the culprit? Just wondering due to the strong fuel smell when I start it.

usedep3
02-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Could a crapped out o2 sensor be the culprit? Just wondering due to the strong fuel smell when I start it.

Sensor could just be on its way out. When original my cat and o2 sensor needed to be replaced, the exhaust smelled rich. The ECU and Engine runs rich to protect itself. I'm not sure if that is related to the ignition issue though.

SyckSiR
02-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Sensor could just be on its way out. When original my cat and o2 sensor needed to be replaced, the exhaust smelled rich. The ECU and Engine runs rich to protect itself. I'm not sure if that is related to the ignition issue though.

Just a thought. I know a lot of people have complained about a faulty o2 sensor making the car run like crap

SyckSiR
02-07-2014, 06:08 PM
So, I removed the ECU, to give hondata my serial number. After reinstalling car started up with no issue. There is still something wrong tho. I get the hesitations but they are less frequent and aren't as bad as before. Will update when I know more.