PDA

View Full Version : Tein Type Flex Questions.

tkm
01-17-2003, 07:47 PM
For the few that have this suspension, what are your overall impressions of it?

Some specifics:

Is the ride sporty/stiff enough? Do the shocks feel overworked (does the car bounce if pushed hard)?

How low can you go before you run out of stroke? Also, does the front camber plate allow enough adjustment to get camber as negative or positive as needed (within reason)?

Also, do you think the quality is justified with the price?

yeah, a lot of questions, but I searched on this topic and only found people who said they had them, but no one really gave any good info about the setup.

Jpax
01-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Are you talking about Coil Overs or Springs, Tein Flex are coilovers..... ?Tein S techs are springs.

tkm
01-17-2003, 09:16 PM
Yes, the type flex coilover set.

These:

http://www.tein.co.jp/flexdampe.html

A few folks on this board have them.

Moose
01-19-2003, 08:49 PM
I've had the coilovers on my car for the past month and haven't been overly impressed by them as compared to my stock shocks & Eibach Sportlines. Is the $1600-1800 price tag justifiable... I'd have to say NOT for me!

The setup DOES make for a lower, stiffer, flatter handling car (compared to after-market springs setup) but you'll audibly hear a swishing sound through every compression & rebound of the suspension (kinda annoying w/o the radio on). According to Tein, this is normal and may lessen as miles are put on the car.

On the positive side, the adjustability of the dampening is kinda nice considering you'll be able to manipulate every corner of the car. Tein says these are 16-way adjustable... I've found I have 24-clicks that allow me to set the dampening (this may be due to having Tein swapping out the adjustment knobs when I paid a visit to their US location). On the softest setting, the car is quite comfortable so your girlfriend won't whine & bitch about the harsh nature of the ride... you'll even risk bottoming-out if you drive in a spirited fashion w/ this setting... the mid to highest dampening settings make the car quite stiff and bottoming out is no longer an issue (I love this controllability!)

Support-wise, these Tein guys are great... I dealt directly with the General Manager and the R&D guys at the Paramount facility and they took my car for a 45-minute test drive.

With a bit of patience and proper tuning, I may be able to get the optimal setting for my style of driving and that may leave me a bit more satisfied, but if you have the chance to buy aftermarket struts (Konis or Tokikos), I'd go that route.

Anyway, g'luck and keep me posted.

I believe Goldy from this forum just picked-up a set as well, check w/ him. drop me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the people who'll get you the Teins for about $1550 (me & Goldy and a few others did this).

Jpax
01-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Moose
I've had the coilovers on my car for the past month and haven't been overly impressed by them as compared to my stock shocks & Eibach Sportlines. Is the $1600-1800 price tag justifiable... I'd have to say NOT for me!

So it was a waste of money ?

Would you go a different route then? like aftermarket struts (Konis or Tokikos)

Dam bro no offence but WHY, i drove my friends EK and that car was Amazing..... i have Neuspeed and on my EK (tein coil overs)and it Sucks......

But that was my opion... everyone has one.

If you want to get rid of your TEINs ill take it off your hands...... :D

goldy02
01-20-2003, 12:10 AM
ive had mine i guess for a week now, i dont know, i love the adjustablity, but their is too too much of it, it's hard to find what you really want, unless you have the e.d.f.c. the price was right at the time so i jumped into them, saticfied? cant say just yet. i love driving them set all the way up really stiff you fell everything it's ruff though

StrangeShadow
04-24-2003, 12:02 AM
anyone running these with the EDFC yet?

FACTION95Si
04-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Ok what is EDFC ? Also do you Flex owners think that the Flex Kit could be overkill for your average EP daily driver who doesn't autoX or race?

BlasTech
04-24-2003, 08:45 AM
I dont have the Flex's but I have been researching them.

In the manual (for all their products) it says they are for off-road use only, over and over again.

Moose, it also says in the installation manual not to adjust the shocks past the 16th click or it will risk damaging the dampers!!

I guess the damper "bound" is how you adjust the spring rate?

Im starting to lean toward pro-kits or maybe GC's.

StrangeShadow
04-24-2003, 05:47 PM
The edfc is an control devise located inside the car (looks like a turbo timer gage). It is connected to elecronically controlled dampers that allow you to adjust the dampening of each individual corner. From inside the car you can adjust your ride to pressent road conditions, making the car smooth like a cadie or rough lke a race car :)
Teins main productions are for everyday driven mini-vans hehe alittle ironic :p j/k
However, if they make a product that is good off-road, I'm pretty sure that they would work just as great on-road, maybe even better, cosideing they are not facing the harshness of off-road.
:)

melbaro
05-24-2004, 05:51 AM
It says the max drop in the rear is 1.4"...will this give the car an ass up in the air look?