PDA

View Full Version : My Raceland Review 30k miles later

Bryan144
02-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Well, I traded a set of megan racing springs and stock struts for a set of used Raceland Coilovers. They had about 5000-10000 miles on them when I got them. Now they have at least 30000 miles. I had them low, and hated it. I had them lower. It was even worse. After dealing with the terrible ride quality and the binding and popping of my steering rack I decided to see if I could make these cheap coilovers work for me.. As opposed to buying a new set. Well I took them off the car, cleaned them all and completely raised them up. They offer a 1 inch drop even at max height. That is plenty for me now, I finally got the point of a daily driver and have went away from the younger "slammed" style and am going toward a functional, easily driven, tastefully modded track "looking" car that is perfect for a DD. I call it project DD.
So far for project DD I have cleaned and raised my coilovers, installed new Honda OEM tie rod ends, getting a 4 wheel alignment and changing from these cheap summer tires to a set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 Ultra High Performance All Season 225/50r16 tires. (Currently running 215/45r17 on a set of 17x8 TSW Snettertons) The Hankooks will go on a set of Enkei RSF-2 16x7 et 40.

Next for project DD I'm fixing the CEL light (over due lol), changing spark plugs, and getting this pesky air bag light to go off.

This is exciting for me lol anyway enough tangent.

I raised the coilovers all the way up and the steering rack doesn't pop anymore (Love it because now nobody asks 'what is that?') the addition of the tie rod ends and the raised car makes the ride a lot smoother. If you are going to DD your civic and don't want to go lower on the coilovers I would get these. Though if I were going to buy a new suspension set up again I'd get Tokico's or Konis with 1 inch lowering springs.. Seems like that would be a lot easier and the konis or tokicos definitely out perform the Racelands. Anyway that's my .02 if you're wanting to run these Racelands I don't suggest lowering them very much. Personally I wouldn't lower the McPherson strut unless you are prepared to get the Tegiwa Steering Arm Relocation Bracket or other mods. From what I read way back when you don't need a camber kit if you are just lowered a little.. Anything more than 2 inches requires one but I would probably pick up a kit for any drop.

Good luck, I know it isn't the most detailed review but at least you get some perspective. 30k miles later and they still work good even living on a half mile dirt road that isn't in super rough condition but isn't exactly well kept. You'll probably have a lot better experience with these if you don't live on a dirt road. And keep them clean they are a pain in the ass to adjust if they aren't clean.