PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mid-Pipe & Megan Drift Spec Question

L0ki
02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
what's up guys, so i just got a fix it ticket for my megan drift spec exhaust and for being lowered, so i'm gonna have to go back to a stock exhaust. anyways to get to my point, i'm mostly likely going to stick with the stock exhaust after i change it up, so my question is, can i reuse the bolts that are already on the megan exhaust? or would i have to buy the bolts and what not from honda? now that i'm planning to go back to stock, i know that there has been countless threads about people going with a 2.25" custom mid pipe with their stock ep3 exhaust. so, i believe that the piping end thing of the ep3 exhaust is 1.6" in diameter? so...if i wanted a 2.25" custom mid pipe installed...do i just tell the muffler shop that i want a 2.25" custom mid pipe made for my car? regardless of the exhaust being 1.6" ? how would they go about that? and if i wanted a deeper sound than the stock mid pipe, i would just tell them to make it without a resonator right? any inputs will be much appreciated, thanks for reading !

tlikethedrink
03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
the 3 to the cat shoud be fine. i forget the dimensions for the two for the axle back but can be found online somewhere im sure. or someone can chime in. last time i was installing my stock exhaust i asked and got an answer from the SSR dolphin. tried looking for you, but couldnt find it.

you have a bunch of options.
megan midpipe
rsx midpipe (need rsx header and cat, which would be a nice set up w/stock axle back)
custom, i would def add a resonator
better muffler on your current exhaust. may be the cheapest option.

if your running the header/cat, i dont imagine it would be too loud. i ran megan shorty/tp and catback. that was loud! it wasnt too bad before the header/tp. what im running now is basically a dc stealth "oval" muffler on that catback. its way quiter. with the stock cat i imagine it would be a really nice mellow sound. no drone im willing to bet!

so in my opinion, if your ticket was just for the sound, add a muffler and or a resonator. magnaflow style sounds best. chambered mufflers sound raspy on 4 bangers. jones full boar is a knock off of magnaflows. they run about half the price on ebay. you could buy a magnaflow from autozone for $80. you can ball out and buy a vibrant street muffler and matching res for about $220 then have them welded in. the problem i had with vibrant is shipping and wait time. the problem i had with jones and magnaflow is that the 4x9 mufflers were center/offset ins and outs. to work with our exhaust we need a center in and out. magnaflow makes one but jones doesnt. niether come with a tip and the magnaflow would have to be shipped.

i went to pep boys and found the dc im running now. its basically a vibrant look alike. looks and sounds good in my opinion. center in and out. basically fit perfect on my catback. i still need to add another res to be happy. but im able to hold off now because i can tolerate it more.i would try this and go from there.

L0ki
03-27-2014, 09:19 PM
the 3 to the cat shoud be fine. i forget the dimensions for the two for the axle back but can be found online somewhere im sure. or someone can chime in. last time i was installing my stock exhaust i asked and got an answer from the SSR dolphin. tried looking for you, but couldnt find it.

you have a bunch of options.
megan midpipe
rsx midpipe (need rsx header and cat, which would be a nice set up w/stock axle back)
custom, i would def add a resonator
better muffler on your current exhaust. may be the cheapest option.

if your running the header/cat, i dont imagine it would be too loud. i ran megan shorty/tp and catback. that was loud! it wasnt too bad before the header/tp. what im running now is basically a dc stealth "oval" muffler on that catback. its way quiter. with the stock cat i imagine it would be a really nice mellow sound. no drone im willing to bet!

so in my opinion, if your ticket was just for the sound, add a muffler and or a resonator. magnaflow style sounds best. chambered mufflers sound raspy on 4 bangers. jones full boar is a knock off of magnaflows. they run about half the price on ebay. you could buy a magnaflow from autozone for $80. you can ball out and buy a vibrant street muffler and matching res for about $220 then have them welded in. the problem i had with vibrant is shipping and wait time. the problem i had with jones and magnaflow is that the 4x9 mufflers were center/offset ins and outs. to work with our exhaust we need a center in and out. magnaflow makes one but jones doesnt. niether come with a tip and the magnaflow would have to be shipped.

i went to pep boys and found the dc im running now. its basically a vibrant look alike. looks and sounds good in my opinion. center in and out. basically fit perfect on my catback. i still need to add another res to be happy. but im able to hold off now because i can tolerate it more.i would try this and go from there.

thanks for the input man, but i've just went back to stock anyway and got my ticket taken care of. i've also managed to get a custom midpipe with no resonator on the car for like 45 bucks at a muffler shop, pretty damn quiet imo just has a little deeper sound to it at low rpms..