PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter replacement help !

saidguler
03-03-2014, 12:06 PM
I need a help, my check engine light is on and Honda told me I need to replace Catalytic Converter. and it is gonna cost me around $1500. I found this magnaflow Catalytic Converter.

what do you guys thing, what other solutions do you have
I need to pass the emission test also.

http://www.carid.com/2003-honda-civic-si-exhaust-systems/magnaflow-direct-fit-catalytic-converter-3482530.html?CAWELAID=1763238042&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNLEweGF97wCFUcV7AodcWUAUA

superchargedk20
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Lol . Shits expensive. I used a magna flow universal cat. Got it welded on and passes emissions . Shit was 50 bucks

saidguler
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Lol . Shits expensive. I used a magna flow universal cat. Got it welded on and passes emissions . Shit was 50 bucks

You are in CT right, do you know any place that can do that, I just found that universal cats for around 60 dolar

Claff
03-04-2014, 02:42 AM
What code? P0420? I got that about three days after I bought my car (D'OH). I put a non-fouler on the second O2 sensor and (knock on wood) no more CEL. I'd spend six bucks trying that before spending $1500.

saidguler
03-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah thats what i thought, it could be the O2 sensor. I`ll try it too.

is this true? just delete or clear the code with OBD2 and drive like a 100 miles then go to emission test.

if this is true ill do it then im gonna put the test pipe with headers anyways.

I just need to pass the emissions

Claff
03-04-2014, 04:40 PM
From what I've read, P0420 won't go away with replacing O2 sensors. The cat is bad.

You can fool the rear O2 sensor by spacing it a little out of the direct exhaust stream using a non-fouler. That's what I did. My car was throwing P0420 pretty regularly. I put in the non-fouler a week or two ago and the code hasn't come back since. I have to get the car through our every-two-year OBDII emission test so this was pretty important.

If you're going to work on newish cars and have to deal with OBDII state inspection, it wouldn't hurt to spend a buck on a Scangauge or some other code reader. You can do your own diagnosis, clear the codes yourself, and see if the code comes back or if the sensors are still reading "not ready". I've found my Scangauge to be very handy dealing with my car through these issues.

saidguler
03-04-2014, 07:33 PM
alright something happened and light just went off :D same thing happend during the summer engine light was on for couple days than it just went off.

I ill try my chance and try to pass the test

superchargedk20
03-04-2014, 09:16 PM
You are in CT right, do you know any place that can do that, I just found that universal cats for around 60 dolar

Any Muffler shop should be able to weld it. U could try the defouler trick too. I've had it for years no light. There's a DIY on crsx how to do it. Can buy the parts at auto zone for a few bucks

saidguler
03-05-2014, 02:37 PM
THANK YOU !! all for your helpful comments !!, probably my sensor is bad
cuz light went off and I just passed the emissions test. Im good for 2 more years.

:yeahbaby:

klik
03-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I used catco