PDA

View Full Version : Steering Arm Location.

Bryan144
03-04-2014, 11:26 AM
So I know (from experience) that lowering our Civics produce a steering arm angle that is far from desirable. I'm running Raceland Coilovers (Dear God why did I choose these..) and have them all the way up so I should only be lowered an inch (according to Racelands website). My question is, should I still get the steering arm relocation bracket from Tegiwa Imports? I still feel as if my suspension is not functioning properly.. Some shaking, popping and just not very responsive.

At stock ride height what is the angle of the steering arms? Are they parallel with the ground (Perfectly horizontal) or do they angle up a little bit from the factory?

I got an alignment recently (last week), the car still pulls and is not very responsive.. Should I have it realigned at a different shop? I have front camber bolts and camber arms in the rear, should I keep these or go back to the stock since I am only dropped an inch? I just want the steering to be more responsive and not pull side to side. Sometimes when I let off the gas or hit the brakes the car likes to jolt to one side or the other.

Input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

chrisbtsc
03-04-2014, 12:39 PM
What are your alignment specs?

captaingamez
03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Some people say yes, the steering relocation arm is needed, some say no, some say it adversely effects handling, and base that off of some college kids badly done suspension modeling of the rsx (most all of which didnt add up at all).

Personally I have no experience with it, it is on my list of parts to get because I believe that with lowering 1+ inches, it is needed, but I have no basis for that, other than feeling that it makes more sense that the arms be more horizontal.

Two people whos suspension tuning expertise I place fairly high, SHG_EasyE, and Mustclime have opinions on it. Mustclime said not needed for under 1 or 1.5 inches, SHG is around that drop and is using one. So that should tell you something.

AKEP
03-05-2014, 12:37 AM
stock it sits kinda up. the bracket needs to mimic this angle after its on or no lower than parallel. depending on what coilovers you have or lowering springs will determine if its needed or not.

Bryan144
03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Well I may have to try a bracket. As for the loose steering? I was lowered around 2.5" for about a year and a half.. Should I be concerned about the steering rack being worn out since it has some place and honestly I feel like it has a "numb spot" between say 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

Update: I put my Enkei RSF-2 wheels on with 215/55/16 Khumo Ecsta AST tires and the ride is a lot smoother.. They aren't even new tires but they are better than the Thunder 215/45/17 I had on my TSW Snettertons. The bigger sidewall is absorbing a lot of the road bumps and reduced the noise by a lot so I am very happy about that.

Still looking into the bracket and I may be going back to OEM struts with 1" lowering springs just to get away from these racelands. Does going back to stock struts sound like a good idea? I'm kind of on a budget or I'd get Koni yellow shocks and ground controls.