PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolt, rear coilover....help!

SyckSiR
03-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Ok, so I was removing my old coils and the bolt that holds the lower part of the rear coil was stripped and the nut that is "permanently" attached broke free. I was able to cut and remove the bolt/nut but all i have to replace it is a standard 12mm bolt with nylock and washers. Is this gonna be ok? I checked the service manual but all it says about that bolt is that its 12mm x 1.25 no mention of grade. Does anyone know if this bolt needs to be a certain grade/strength? It probably takes some good jolts being where it is and i dont wanna be driving down the road and have it snap. Any info is appreciated.

27rocks
03-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Just get the hardest grade you can find (grade 8 is pretty good) and replace it. You can either go they nylon route with the nut, or get a regular one with a lock washer. Maybe run both for piece of mind?

SyckSiR
03-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Yea, the bolt I got was a grade 8. The original bolt had a 10 with a line under it and this one says 8.8 on it. Went the nylock route with washers on both sides. I asked a guy at a local shop and he said the grade 8 bolt should be fine.

EP3Lov3
03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Same thing happened to me, I just went to Honda and got a new bolt along with a nut for about $3