PDA

View Full Version : What's a good exhaust set up for a K20A3 with 155 to 175 whp?

Hasbro
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Just bench racing. Was thinking about building an exhaust that would NOT be transferred to a higher output A3 or K24. Something that would never see beyond 7700 rpm and a max of 175-185 hp, or less, and starting at about 155whp. A nice mid range exhaust that doesn't starve at top rpms. Keep the oem muffler and pretty quiet unless opening it up.

What do you think?

tlikethedrink
03-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm being a little bit of a magnaflow fan boy right now, but I'm happy with their product. I installed a muffler as a resonator this weekend and the sound is great!
Very mellow purr almost 350zish. Unfortunately the drone at 4k rpms @ 80mph was eliminated as hoped ( I think the main issue is that the drone will never be gone while the engine is pushing that hard w/ anything but a stock exhaust. Real fix would be a long 6th gear)

Anyways sound is great. And if your making a custom 2.25-2.5 mid pipe or full exhaust I would use 2. 1 as res, 1 as a muffler w/ tip.
If your keepin the stock muffler a Megan mid pipe would probably be right up you way.
More involved would be a stock rsx- header/cat/mid pipe. It must support the rated 200 hp A2 and bolts up to our stock axle back.

In my experience anything deleting the cat is going to be a major sound issue in a DD. Gutted I imagine it would be worse! If that's an issue for you- go option 3.
Performance wise anything is better than the stock pipe! It's puny!

Powers
03-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Just bench racing. Was thinking about building an exhaust that would NOT be transferred to a higher output A3 or K24. Something that would never see beyond 7700 rpm and a max of 175-185 hp, or less, and starting at about 155whp. A nice mid range exhaust that doesn't starve at top rpms. Keep the oem muffler and pretty quiet unless opening it up.

What do you think?

My personal opinion would be to get a itr header and cat. From there I'd do a kteller 2.5 inch exhaust with a vibrant stealth muffler and resonator. That would do great gains keep it quiet and you'd still have a cat. And it would clear your itr sway perfectly.

Hasbro
04-02-2014, 12:17 PM
I'd been ignoring oem headers but they must make sense for mid range torque. There's an old thread somewhere that tested headers or maybe it was a mag article that I'd like to find.

Deadphishy
04-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Stock muffler, Rsx type-s mid-pipe and a DC sports race header. This set up will still be pretty loud when you get on it.