PDA

View Full Version : E Brake*Has anybody got it adjusted*

RocketHatch
01-18-2003, 09:52 AM
I have seen a few people complaining about there E Brake. I'm going to take it back to the dealer to see if it can be adjusted has anybody done this yet.

02blksi
01-18-2003, 09:58 AM
yes i had mine adjusted.. no problems noted... --joe

the JigGa mAn
01-18-2003, 10:35 AM
why get it adjusted? what was wrong with it?

MINIVANKILLER
01-18-2003, 10:39 AM
My car rolled backwards in the employee parking lot at Alabama Power :eek: because the E-brake would not hold the car. This was an incline of about 20 degrees. That is not steep. Honda was glad to adjust this, because if my car had hit anything they would have been paying it up, for the repairs. So, yes get it adjusted if it does not feel right, if you have had to use the e-brake before then you should know what it feels like.

HokieSi
01-18-2003, 11:23 AM
E-brake on my car is fine!

the JigGa mAn
01-18-2003, 11:59 AM
what year is this for 02 or 03?

importhonda
01-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Yeah i had the same problem with my ebrake... its actually rolled back into my buddies car... My rear bumper is all scratched up. I took back to the dealer and they tightened it, it seems better but not perfect... any chance I can go back and have them fix the damage or is it too late to push that?

StrangeShadow
01-18-2003, 12:47 PM
I have seen a few people complaining about there E Brake. I'm going to take it back to the dealer to see if it can be adjusted has anybody done this yet.

try a seach I know a few members have takin it in w/no prb. others have done it themselves to custom the tension.

why get it adjusted? what was wrong with it?
The e-bake is real loose, tesion wise, off the lot, in most cases they roll back if on an incline and not in gear.

RocketHatch
01-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Its a 02. I would go back to Honda and bitch. There are alot of folks on this site that are having the same problem. Maybe we all should give American Honda a call.

SiRman
01-18-2003, 01:08 PM
I hope you guys are parking the car in gear.

RocketHatch
01-18-2003, 02:51 PM
I have to leave it in gear even on a small incline.

the JigGa mAn
01-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

try a seach I know a few members have takin it in w/no prb. others have done it themselves to custom the tension.

The e-bake is real loose, tesion wise, off the lot, in most cases they roll back if on an incline and not in gear.

how do you go about doing it your self??

chakra71
01-19-2003, 11:12 AM
i highly recomend doing it yourself. I was lazy and took mine back to the dealership and they fixed it no questions asked. It took them about an hour and a half to even touch my car once it was on the rack (no clue why they put it on a lift) and only about 10 minutes to actually adjust the brake. Then after all that they got it too tight, felt like the brake was constantly engaged, so i did it myself after driving about 3 blocks back to my house.

Just take the center console apart, remove the plastic around the brake handle. There are cable adjusters at the base of the brake handle. Tighten it up there and that will solve the problem. Just don't go too tight or it could be bad.

redronin22
01-19-2003, 11:43 AM
yeah got mine tweaked. it actually works now!

the JigGa mAn
01-19-2003, 10:36 PM
so this mostly occured with the 02's right? b/c im gettin a black 03' in a few months...

chakra71
01-20-2003, 11:11 AM
not sure if it's a model year problem. a friend of mine got an 02 civic ex and her parking brake needs adjusting too. her throttle cable did as well. It's just an adjustment issue and only a problem if you don't park with it in gear. If it bothers you that much make the dealer take some cash off your purchase price and then adjust it before you take delivery. Other than that, just get the car and enjoy and park with it in first/reverse like you're sposed to and adjust it when you get a chance.

importhonda
01-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Does it say you need to park it in gear in the manual? What if you want to leave your car running and run inside for a second? what if you want to warm up your car?

I want to know if I have any chance of the dealer fixing the BIG scratch on my bumper

SiRman
01-20-2003, 03:20 PM
It may not say it in the owners manual, but it is taught in drivers training.

Does it say you need to park it in gear in the manual?

the JigGa mAn
01-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by chakra71
If it bothers you that much make the dealer take some cash off your purchase price and then adjust it before you take delivery.

how/why would they take some cash out of the purchase price? it can be fixed with ease

chakra71
01-22-2003, 05:14 PM
just a thought, most dealers at my local honda shop aren't that smart on cars and if you played it right they might drop some price. At the least they should adjust it before you leave.

i-WERKS
01-23-2003, 08:57 AM
I adjusted mine when I was running the cd changer cable to the trunk. It was quite easy

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-11-2003, 01:21 PM
I adjusted mine today.
Very simple:
1) Pull front seats forward.
2) Remove 2 phillips head screws located below rear cup holder.
3) Pull up on the center console to unclip and remove.
4) Note the cables and adjustment nut located at the rear of the E-Brake assembly.
5) Using the proper size wrench turn nut clockwise (righty tighty) until you have the proper tension (took me about 6 turns or so).
6) You're done, button it all up.

Total time is about 10-15 mins.

civicSIracer
11-11-2003, 01:32 PM
damn where did you find this old ass thread?
thanks for the write up adam. i got to go mess with mine:)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by civicSIracer
damn where did you find this old ass thread?
thanks for the write up adam. i got to go mess with mine:)

the power of "search". ;)
something alot of people need to learn how to do.

anti-hu
11-11-2003, 05:25 PM
search is your friend. ive been reading up on backseat removal all day :)

civicSIracer
11-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
the power of "search". ;)
something alot of people need to learn how to do.

ya no shit

Civicvtec1ps
11-11-2003, 06:26 PM
its easy. i did mine too when i installed shifter bushings. since i had to take out whole center console.and ebrake console.

heres good DIY
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48394