PDA

View Full Version : RPMs falling intermittently at idle

s10blazed
03-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi guys, I've been noticing something off with my car over the past few weeks. It seems as if its steadily getting worse and worse and now its at the point I need to look into it.

When my car is warmed up I can notice the RPMs drop down to about 500. It idles normal most of the time. But if I leave it sitting in neutral it will sporadically drop RPMs to almost stalling. It catches itself and keeps on purring. I've made sure nothing else is on (radio, amp, heater, etc). It didn't always do it while sitting still. I actually noticed it first as I am coming to a stop. It happens whether I leave it in gear, downshift to 2 (or 1), or neutral. As it slows to about 5 mph it would drop to low RPMs every time.

It hasn't stalled yet from this. But the way its progressing I can foresee it happening, especially now that the weather is warming up. So I come here and ask you guys, what should I check? What diagnostics can I do? What search terms might guide me the right way?

Here are the stats on my ride:
04 EP3 with ~95k
All stock save for: stainless exhaust pipe

Here are the things I have replaced within the last 12 months:
catalytic converter (maybe like 13 months ago?)
timing chain/guides/tensioner
brake pads
oil

Within the last 24 months I've changed:
spark plugs/wires
battery
serpentine belt/idler pulley

I had the idea to adjust my throttle with the bolt near the engine. But then my 'real' idle might get messed up (true/false??). I'm hoping someone recommends a valve adjustment. I skipped that while I had the top end apart because I didn't have a feeler gauge. I'm handy enough to fix just about anything that could be wrong. I'm just not handy enough to diagnose the true issue on my own.

USAF EP3
03-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Did you clean out the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve)? It's the big piece located on the bottom half of the throttle body and has an electro-magnetic motor attached to it.

If this part has a sticky valve from debris build up will cause either a high/hunting idle condition or not let enough air through to idle properly (your scenario).

s10blazed
03-31-2014, 12:59 PM
No, I haven't cleaned that out, yet. I've read a few DIY guides to it already and it seems like the best place to start.

s10blazed
04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Well I finally got a chance to tear into this and give the IACV a good cleaning. It took a few hours with the corrosion and tight bolts but was rather simple over-all. The best part? It Worked! Idles nice and steady now. I cleaned out the throttle body and adjusted my cables properly. Feels better than it has in years.

ep3_civic_si
11-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Is there a diy I cannot seem to find one here?

Her-Name's-Ally
11-26-2014, 04:52 PM
^Havent watched the video but found this on youtube. Hope it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByX15UwWmOU

ep3_civic_si
12-01-2014, 07:53 AM
awesome bro, thanks a lot!. I never even thought about using youtube. I hope this works.... Thanks again.

Her-Name's-Ally
12-01-2014, 09:20 PM
:thumbu: