PDA

View Full Version : Scangauge II instead of seperate gauges

kaotik78
04-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Morning all!

My EP left me stranded for a bit at work yesterday due to a dying/weak/dead battery. A quick replacement with a yellow-top which happened to luckily be around the corner from where I work solved the issue. While I was in the shop I glanced over and saw something called Scangauge II which was intended to help monitor your driving habits and in turn increase your MPG.

I've got a JRSC and not too concerned with MPG but I was intrigued to learn that this unit for 110.00, could monitor four separate inputs at one time and display them in real time (not sure what the latency would really be, if any). The only wriggle was that the manufacturer does not outright disclose what can be monitored or not. For me I would rather monitor coolant temperature, oil pressure/temp, boost (MAP), and probably battery voltage, kidding. So hopefully if I do decide to purchase I can at least get the readings I'm after.

Why I was interested in this was because I have a boost gauge already on my steering column albeit held on with electrical tape :mfrown: I had ordered last year, a three gauge pillar pod but held off installing it because it just seemed to clutter the interior more and the gauges were another 100 per plus install, I put that endeavor on hold.

So I'm interested to hear from those who have a scangauge II or even those who run various gauges for monitoring their engine either N/A, Turbo or Supercharged. Did you find it beneficial to be able to monitor your temps, pressure, voltage etc or was it an impulsive purchase and the luster wore off within a week or so, basically becoming a novelty, and you have since not glanced twice at it?

kaotik78
04-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Was supposed to go into the tuning section :(

kaotik78
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
MODS please delete this thread for some reason it got posted here rather than in the correct section.

usedep3
04-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Was supposed to go into the tuning section :(

It's gonna stay here. This thread doesn't really belong in the Tuning or EP Discussion subforums.

Anyway, isn't the ScanguageII another fancy OBDII reader? Have you considered neptune tunerview or the brockway dgauge? I'm using the dgauge and its great so far. I'm only using the default readings but you can add additional sensors for boost, oil pressure, and anything else the OBDII might not directly display via the port.

kaotik78
04-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Right on, it does have the ability to read obd2 codes. Brockway seems to be more along the lines of what I'm actually after. Course it's more money, go figure. The allure was the price of the scangauge and all you had to do was plug it in.

Slip_Angle
04-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Scanguage is comparable to the Tunerview in that it'll display many of the same items. Drawback is the speed at which it updates because it's using OBDII vs the Tunerview's direct connection to the ECU.

Both are good options depending on how much you are willing to spend.

usedep3
04-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Right on, it does have the ability to read obd2 codes. Brockway seems to be more along the lines of what I'm actually after. Course it's more money, go figure. The allure was the price of the scangauge and all you had to do was plug it in.

The brockwayengineering Dgauge is plug and play. It can read and clear codes as well.