PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for lowering drivers seat?

rowerperk
04-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I am 6'4 and fit fine in my car as long as the seat is reclined a bit, but I would like to use the car on the track this summer and cannot fit in the drivers seat with a helmet on. I have tried once at the drag strip and my head was sideways the whole time. Fine for a few minutes but not good for a road course. I have looked at the seat and see no good options for lowering it but hoping someone has done something to solve this before. I have a 98 Civic hatchback and it feels like I'm sitting on the floor in that car compared to the ep3. Why would the seats be so high in these cars? Even considered swapping seats just for the track, but it sounds like that is not an option either due to different mounts. I really love the seats that come in the ep3 and don't want to replace them, I just want to modify it to get it more comfortable. It would also be nice for everyday driving to be able to be more upright and closer to the steering wheel.
Thanks

geesEP3
04-08-2014, 03:41 PM
I have a buddyclub seat with mounts. Fitment is perfect. I was a little worried about how it would hold up at the track and it worked out well.
Just swap out the seat at the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasbro
04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I believe there was a mount available back in the day, someone here or on another forum knows. You could always do custom fixed brackets.

rowerperk
04-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Hey thanks for both responses. I did do some research on custom rails and didn't find much. Only other thing I could find is cutting out some foam on the seat pan. Not sure I like the idea of that, maybe if I can find a seat from a wrecking yard I would try that. I do like the idea of a racing seat, do you sit a lot lower in the car with the buddy club? My head is right against the headliner with the seat reclined already, I need to gain a good few inches to fit a helmet properly.
Thanks again

rowerperk
04-23-2014, 08:18 PM
I did some modifications to the rear seat rail mounts to gain almost an inch of headroom in my car. It is a lot of work and doesn't give you much extra but for me it made a huge difference. I can sit more comfortably with a helmet on and without a helmet I can sit upright. Not sure if its recommended from a safety standpoint to modify the mounts, but neither is driving with legs and arms fully extended safe either.
https://flic.kr/p/njkrBw
https://flic.kr/p/nhfJS7