PDA

View Full Version : door locks

OZZYG_EP3
04-16-2014, 05:07 PM
my passenger door lock started making a noise half the time when i would lock/unlock it. yesterday it just stopped working completely. i have to manually lift and lower the pin on the door. anyone else have this problem? easy fix or is this gonna be expensive?

tonysi
04-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Sounds like the door lock actuator to me. Mine went on the driver side for me so I have to use my key unlock my door. There should be a sticky somewhere on how to remove the door panel and replace the piece.

jonathanphan
04-16-2014, 10:47 PM
I had the exact same probelm. For me it was the door actuator. I replaced it with one from ebay. Its still working great and going strong. They have been installed for more than 3 months already. Here is the one i replaced it with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Door-Lock-Actuator-For-Honda-Civic-Accord-Front-Right-Passenger-Side-/290807817460?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic%7C Submodel%3ASi&hash=item43b57f24f4&vxp=mtr

OZZYG_EP3
04-17-2014, 09:35 AM
how is it to replace? quick and easy?

jonathanphan
04-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Its really simple. There should be a DIY thread somewhere.

OZZYG_EP3
04-17-2014, 09:50 AM
awesome gonna knock that out in the next few weeks. it sucks not having the lock work

jonathanphan
04-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes it does. I hate using my key.

relativelyprime
07-10-2014, 12:21 PM
$10??? Wow. I've been putting mine off (all dead) because didn't think $450-500 was reasonable from auto stores and dealer. Thanks for the link!

AceEngineer
07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Here is my 2 cents worth:
I replaced both door lock actuators about a year ago with some that I bought off ebay for real cheap. They failed in less than 6 months, so I replaced them with some Ecklin brand from the local NAPA dealer for about $38 each. They have lasted without fail till now and if they do fail again, I will test NAPA's warranty.

AceEngineer

mack
07-26-2014, 11:49 AM
is the left door actuator different from the right? or are they the same parts for both doors?

tinman5
07-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Because of orientation they are different. My driver side actuator crapped out again, after 2 years.

AceEngineer
07-26-2014, 05:33 PM
The right and left lock actuators are different. The drivers side has an indicator switch built in. There are pins in the second connector socket and a second connector in the drivers door harness. The passenger side only has one connector. I believe both sides have the extra connector socket molded in, but it is only populated on the drivers side.

AceEngineer

jmotley
07-26-2014, 07:56 PM
hey man, i replaced mine with one from a parts store and it seized up after about a month of use.. had to take it out just to be able to manually unlock the door. maybe i just got some bad luck but i hate wasting money.. lol

jonathanphan
07-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Really? Mines still working. No issues or probelms here.

BeaterEP
07-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Surest bet is going OEM.
And yes, different parts for the drivers and passengers side.
In addition to simple orientation, the driver side actuator actually keys all of the other locks (passenger and hatch).
Meaning that if the driver's side fails, then the other locks will NOT actuate, even if their individual mechanisms are working.
Just some FYI :mbiggrin:

mack
08-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Surest bet is going OEM.
And yes, different parts for the drivers and passengers side.
In addition to simple orientation, the driver side actuator actually keys all of the other locks (passenger and hatch).
Meaning that if the driver's side fails, then the other locks will NOT actuate, even if their individual mechanisms are working.
Just some FYI :mbiggrin:

Thanks. I'm going to do this fix next weekend. Local part stores from Honda dealer shows $41 for the driver side. Think there is a better price elsewhere?

The actuation will only happen if the driver side lock is at a certain position. For instance, let's suppose all my locks are in "unlocked" position. I depress the driver side manually to "locked" and only then, I can lock the rest using the switch. Same with unlocking. If I want to use the remote switch to lock my car, I just manually lock the driver side by depressing it down WHILE pulling on the interior door handle. Normally driver side door won't lock from indoors, but this trick works for all types of Hondas (civics, odyssey, crv...). Once you are out of the car and driver side is locked, use your remote key and lock and confirm as usual.

jonathanphan
09-01-2014, 10:51 PM
i guess i got lucky :tehe: mines still working.

66elwood99
09-07-2014, 05:00 AM
Mine crapped out a few years ago. I guess because I grew up without auto locks I don't mind going "old school" and using a key.

Grookes
11-06-2014, 11:59 PM
DIY thread is here...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44557-DIY-door-lock-actuator